Virtuozzo compared to OpenVZ.

I have had a few OpenVZ VPS and they have all been quite unstable (but good enough for personal/testing purposes), which is why I generally favour Xen for important hosting. I have had nothing but good experiences with Xen.

However, I have not - that I can recall - been on a Virtuozzo VPS.

Aside from overselling and overpopulated nodes which are host-side issues, in terms of stability, independence, and flexibility, how does Virtuozzo compare to OpenVZ and Xen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I have had a few OpenVZ VPS and they have all been quite unstable (but good enough for personal/testing purposes), which is why I generally favour Xen for important hosting. I have had nothing but good experiences with Xen.

However, I have not - that I can recall - been on a Virtuozzo VPS.

Aside from overselling and overpopulated nodes which are host-side issues, in terms of stability, independence, and flexibility, how does Virtuozzo compare to OpenVZ and Xen?
    Very similar. Perhaps a tad-bit more stable.

Usually providers having Virtuozzo are a bit more stable in structure as far as the company goes. Nothing else.

Virtuozzo is based on openvz but with better control panel and kernel hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
    Usually providers having Virtuozzo are a bit more stable in structure as far as the company goes.
    How do you mean?

Virtuozzo allows hosts the option of using SLM memory management, and most take it. This eliminates the need for all that burst memory nastiness and gives users reasonably accurate estimates of their usage in top and free, instead of wildly inaccurate figures based on allocated memory. So with identical systems and usage you'll see (looking at the -/+ buffers/cache line) Virtuozzo and Xen showing similar memory usage while OpenVZ shows much higher numbers.

For me, that's enough in itself to put Virtuozzo far ahead of OpenVZ; the fact that many of the more reputable providers here choose it is just a bonus!
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

How do you mean?
    Parallels requires contracts with minimum commitments in business volume, etc before issuing you a license.

If a provider can invest (although that is a small amount; $30k~/yr) that much in software contracts; it atleast 'appears' to be a little more serious than a provider using OpenVZ.

Same with XenSource vs Citrix XenServer

You can still go horribly wrong here. My statements are very broad and cannot be upheld in every scenario. I know a lot of XenSource and OpenVZ providers who are brilliant at what they do.

IMO it is false the assertion OpenVZ bad experience, Xen good experience. or OpenVZ unstable, Xen stable, ... It is more a matter of bad providers, good providers, skilled users, clueless users.

Parallels requires contracts with minimum commitments in business volume, etc before issuing you a license.

If a provider can invest (although that is a small amount; $30k~/yr) that much in software contracts; it atleast 'appears' to be a little more serious than a provider using OpenVZ.

Same with XenSource vs Citrix XenServer

You can still go horribly wrong here. My statements are very broad and cannot be upheld in every scenario. I know a lot of XenSource and OpenVZ providers who are brilliant at what they do.
    Agreed 100%
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by turbovps View Post
    Virtuozzo is based on openvz but with better control panel and kernel hacks.
    It was my understanding, however I may be wrong, that OpenVZ was essentially an "open" version of Virtuozzo and not the other way around. If Virtuozzo is indeed based on OpenVZ and not the other way around, somebody do feel free to set me straight on this. I mean, it doesn't really matter, but it's one of those "good to know" sort of things.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    IMO it is false the assertion OpenVZ bad experience, Xen good experience. or OpenVZ unstable, Xen stable, ... It is more a matter of bad providers, good providers, skilled users, clueless users.
    Indeed - it's just like those who say "overselling is bad" - it's not overselling that is bad but the poor server management at the company where you had an issue with overselling in most cases

You can have a good experience or a bad experience with the same hardware + plans at two different providers just because one may know what they're doing and the other may be total crap.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

A few big differences:

1) SLM (previously mentioned) - Gives accurate number for RAM usage, the OpenVZ method is based on total pages (privvmpages/VSIZE), which is not very accurate at all. SLM is based more on RSS (actual RAM usage).

2) I/O Limits - Virtuozzo supports hard limits on disk I/O usage. When providers utilize this it keeps I/O in check and prevents overloaded systems. In our experience so far this is a "magical" feature, it makes a huge difference. This along with proper CPU limits will eliminate 90%+ of "load spikes" that plague so many VPS providers these days.

3) VZFS - Allows same programs across VPSs to share the same memory, helps improve overall system performance (reduces effects of overselling, or if no overselling allows more RAM to be used for cache).
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

I was under the impression that an OpenVZ solution is more susceptible to negative impact from other containers on the node, while this is less of a problem with Xen (and Virtuozzo), and that this is a software limitation and not something the host can do anything about. I excluded overselling and overpopulated nodes in my first original post.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately software can't help if the provider don't know how to use its options correctly / wisely or/and when the provider thinks a SAS 15Krpm (300 IOPS) is only an expensive drive a bit faster than a SATA 7.2Krpm (100 IOPS); ECC RAM is not that important; etc.

My point is the "bad or good experience" results more from the provider's decisions (hardware,data center,configurations,TOS,plans/prices,etc) than the software used.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 05-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It was my understanding, however I may be wrong, that OpenVZ was essentially an "open" version of Virtuozzo and not the other way around. If Virtuozzo is indeed based on OpenVZ and not the other way around, somebody do feel free to set me straight on this. I mean, it doesn't really matter, but it's one of those "good to know" sort of things.
    Parallels develops a feature and puts it into OpenVZ. Does testing on OpenVZ. If its good to go, plugs it into Virtuozzo. Although, not all features go like this.

OpenVZ is more like a beta product and VZ being a final release.

If you see most OpenVZ developers are Russians/SWSoft (Parallels former name) developers. There are almost no "native" OpenVZ devs.

Unfortunately software can't help if the provider don't know how to use its options correctly / wisely or/and when the provider thinks a SAS 15Krpm (300 IOPS) is only an expensive drive a bit faster than a SATA 7.2Krpm (100 IOPS); ECC RAM is not that important; etc.

My point is the "bad or good experience" results more from the provider's decisions (hardware,data center,configurations,TOS,plans/prices,etc) than the software used.
    This combined with clueless users gives you a lethal dose of something very bad.

This combined with clueless users gives you a lethal dose of something very bad.
    Agreed but most of the clueless users are due provider's decision to launch plans and prices with strong appeal for new/inexperienced users.

It's interesting to note that Servint actually chooses to use the privvmpages model rather than SLM due to stability reasons.

I personally state that you should stick with OpenVZ as Virtuozzo in my book, overall sucks. :/

But others might feel different, it really depends on what your require or like better. I personally like OpenVZ better, and XEN over OpenVZ
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Parallels develops a feature and puts it into OpenVZ. Does testing on OpenVZ. If its good to go, plugs it into Virtuozzo. Although, not all features go like this.
    So sort of like Fedora vs. RHEL...
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

WiredTree and KnownHost both use Virtuozzo. That's good enough for me.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    WiredTree and KnownHost both use Virtuozzo. That's good enough for me.
    What I find really interesting is the budget hosts have gone to OpenVZ. The older premium managed hosts use Virtuozzo. The new cloud hosts use Citrix Xen sever. And the unmanaged hosts use Xen.

What I'm wondering though is if the older manged VPS hosts (Knownhost,Liquid Web, Wiredtree, Future hosting,and ServInt)will ever move from Virtuzzo? I'm curious if xen or Citrix Xen Server would suit them better. Or give them more flexibility?

I'm sure they use Virtuzzo for a couple of reason, support, discount price, good customer panel (Virtuzzo Power Panel).

But I do wonder for example what Wiredtree could do with Citrix Xen Server and their own customer panel. They already have a nice custom built customer portal.

Interesting possibilities.