* Cloud Buzz Words List

All this crap implies one thing: higher uptime. But here we go, feel free to add your own:

enterprise-grade
    high availability
    failover
    redundancy
    self-healing
    Last edited by vader2; 05-10-2011 at 06:48 PM.

I liked VPS.net's "Self-Healing Hardware"

When did hardware grow arms? When did hardware fix itself?
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

I notice Temperpedic matresses are getting in on the cloud action with the TemperCloud!

Buzz word for that? good sleep....cushy softness....very hot in the summer time, nearly to overheating......let me see what else....EXPENSIVE!

more:

reliability
    scalability
    elasticity
    enterprise-ready
    smart instances
    Last edited by vader2; 05-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    I liked VPS.net's "Self-Healing Hardware"

When did hardware grow arms? When did hardware fix itself?
    I like it too. But this one was already in my list, please add a new buzzword

Weren't you just looking for cloud hosting? Now you're making a post pretty much making fun of it? Confused...

fault-tolerance

I believe in most of the stuff. high availability, I see it to this day, what high availability is.

reliability. I also see this one being true as well. Not really a buzz word if its true.
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

I believe in most of the stuff. high availability, I see it to this day, what high availability is.

reliability. I also see this one being true as well. Not really a buzz word if its true.
    Not really a buzzword I know, but I have yet to find a cloud provider that can actually keep things running smooth for longer than a few months.

"Business Continuity". << removed >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-17-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    ScaleMatrix
    http://www.scalematrix.com
    888-349-9994
    Scaleable... Private... Clouds...

What if it's not true? It certainly wasn't for SiteCloud .
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by barry[CoffeeSprout] View Post
    Not really a buzzword I know, but I have yet to find a cloud provider that can actually keep things running smooth for longer than a few months.
    There are a lot of companies out there right now that are using "SAN's" units. I persoanally thing this is one of the issues that they are having. We had one Private Cloud customer that has over 500 days of application uptime on his Private cloud. He had one server failure during that time, but he made his application in such a way that he utilized fail over groups and stuff. so his application may have took a hit, but it never 100% failed.

I see a lot of the BIG companies out there right now are having a LOT of issues with their SAN's units. vps.net has quite a few problems with SANs.

http://status.vps.net/

May 9th: 11:44 AM EST: We’re currently experiencing a problem with the SANs located on London I. We have engineers onsite working to correct the problem.

May 6th: We’re currently experiencing problems with SANs serving London-C cloud. Our L3 engineers already working to fix this asap. Sorry for the inconvenience.

May 4th: 2:53 PM BST: SAN6 in London C is currently experiencing degraded performance and instability due to a failing hard drive, and a second hard drive throwing errors. We have technicians onsite that are working to replace the bad drives now.

List goes on and on. All related to SAN's units. 90% of their problems are related to SAN's units.

One of the reasons I like Applogic so much, It keeps a Raid 0 of a volume across 2 PHYSICALLY diverse IP Based SAN's units. If one fails it AUTOMATICALLY switches over to that secondary unit. I don't have to deal with it, it just works.

I use to look at server failures as a huge PITA, Now i get a server failure, and its not a huge deal. Easier for my staff to deal with, and easier for me to deal with.

Thats just my opinion.

Thanks,

Raid 1. Sorry It created a Mirror, not a strip. Long day today :-(

Armageddon
    sky-net
    judgement day

That's my kind of cloud. No but seriously, some of these cloud providers are pretending their cloud is some kind of high intellectual AI terminator, that can take on any kind of application. I don't see the point of a cloud, unless you do a private cloud where you can control it. Some of these public clouds are no greater than a VPS with a large assortment of issues.

(I know, I'll be attacked by the public cloud lovers for saying this. My mind just isn't clouded yet)
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

Quote Originally Posted by DMEHosting View Post
    That's my kind of cloud. No but seriously, some of these cloud providers are pretending their cloud is some kind of high intellectual AI terminator, that can take on any kind of application. I don't see the point of a cloud, unless you do a private cloud where you can control it. Some of these public clouds are no greater than a VPS with a large assortment of issues.

(I know, I'll be attacked by the public cloud lovers for saying this. My mind just isn't clouded yet)
    Most clouds these days are just VPS hosted on a SAN.

Unless the provider is replicating the SAN infrastructure too (in which case the price has gone through the roof) there is a single point of failure. You don't need multiple servers to fail to bring down the network, only the SAN has to go down.

Can't think of anything other than that's listed, so I'll make some new ones up for the fun of it.

dissipation (sorry even the best clouds lose their "puffiness".
    anvils (for those clouds that are flat-ish, almost no flexibility)
    pencil and eraser - erase the boundary on a cloud and draw a new bigger one to simulate growth.
    CCs - Cluster Clouds designed for stability and uptime.
    Nothing here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteTech View Post
    Most clouds these days are just VPS hosted on a SAN.

Unless the provider is replicating the SAN infrastructure too (in which case the price has gone through the roof) there is a single point of failure. You don't need multiple servers to fail to bring down the network, only the SAN has to go down.
    Thank you! Someone said this! This was in the back of my mind - all of these cloud providers saying: "unlike those other guys we got a centralized SAN storage! woohoo!" and I was thinking.. ok.. what if it that thing fails - will all of your "high availability" clouds fail too?

Then could you name some hosts who are replicating SAN?

There are a lot of companies out there right now that are using "SAN's" units. I persoanally thing this is one of the issues that they are having. We had one Private Cloud customer that has over 500 days of application uptime on his Private cloud. He had one server failure during that time, but he made his application in such a way that he utilized fail over groups and stuff. so his application may have took a hit, but it never 100% failed.

I see a lot of the BIG companies out there right now are having a LOT of issues with their SAN's units. vps.net has quite a few problems with SANs.

http://status.vps.net/

May 9th: 11:44 AM EST: We’re currently experiencing a problem with the SANs located on London I. We have engineers onsite working to correct the problem.

May 6th: We’re currently experiencing problems with SANs serving London-C cloud. Our L3 engineers already working to fix this asap. Sorry for the inconvenience.

May 4th: 2:53 PM BST: SAN6 in London C is currently experiencing degraded performance and instability due to a failing hard drive, and a second hard drive throwing errors. We have technicians onsite that are working to replace the bad drives now.

List goes on and on. All related to SAN's units. 90% of their problems are related to SAN's units.

One of the reasons I like Applogic so much, It keeps a Raid 0 of a volume across 2 PHYSICALLY diverse IP Based SAN's units. If one fails it AUTOMATICALLY switches over to that secondary unit. I don't have to deal with it, it just works.

I use to look at server failures as a huge PITA, Now i get a server failure, and its not a huge deal. Easier for my staff to deal with, and easier for me to deal with.

Thats just my opinion.

Thanks,
    I was considering signing up with VPS.net but after looking at their outage log (not in this thread, but earlier on my own) - I was like: " they are having 20 times more downtime than my hostgator shared! wtf! how the hell is this "high availability"?

"persistent storage" <- btw << what >> does it mean?
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Persistent storage is the antithesis of ephemeral storage. In the later, when your instance dies, your data blocks are recycled. If you start it up again, you'll likely be on another machine, with a totally new hard drive.

Persistent storage is just a description for anything that will let you keep data around and can be anything from the local disk, SAN, S3, EBS, GlusterFS, Cassandra type thingy. Even DB clusters have been called persistent storage. Frankly, the term is next to useless by itself.

For your list, throw in

distributed computing
    scalable computing
    IaaS
    PaaS

Quote Originally Posted by vader2 View Post
    Thank you! Someone said this! This was in the back of my mind - all of these cloud providers saying: "unlike those other guys we got a centralized SAN storage! woohoo!" and I was thinking.. ok.. what if it that thing fails - will all of your "high availability" clouds fail too?

Then could you name some hosts who are replicating SAN?
    A SAN can have redundant components itself, so having multiple SANs with replication between isn't always a better idea, which can introduce trouble itself, and also reduce performance. Looking at the individual failure points in a SAN, whether it be controllers, disks, enclosures, power supplies, etc. will determine the single point of failure. If all of these components are redundant, there isn't necessarily a single point of failure.

The software/firmware is actually the single point of failure, but this is the case in replicated SANs and other storage systems too. If there is a bug, it may propagate, regardless of how much replication you do. Testing any storage system, replicated or not, under high-load, is always highly advisable. This is where manufacturers generally run into problems - under circumstances where customers have environments larger than any test environment used at the manufacturer.

What we would normally suggest, for critical high-availability requirements, is to use a block-level replication product that runs in the OS, replicating across facilities, preferably with different storage systems at each end.

Eric
    Genesis Hosting Solutions, LLC (genesishosting.com)
    Genesis Public Cloud - No Compromise On-Demand OpenStack infrastructure
    Genesis VMs - Easy to provision single VMs on our Genesis Public Cloud
    Compare us against others at vpsbenchmarks.com!