Dell poweredge 1750 for webhosting

Hi, I recently aquired a poweredge 1750, 2.4ghz xeon, 2x512mb ddr266 rdimm ecc. Still have to get hdd's.

I want to colocate the server for a couple of months and get used to remote managing linux. Is it feasable to use this server for webhosting ?
    Also, Is it possible for me to run a benchmark that could tell me how powerfull of a web server it could be while not on a network ?

I'm not expecting much performance from the server but some is better than none, only paid 30 euro for it to my door.

Cheers,
    Seb.

It's really going to depend on what you're hosting on it. That is, how dynamic or static it is.

Is it feasible? Depending on the content certainly. My concern would more centre around replacement parts. Eventually the components will fail and finding replacements on older hardware is sometimes more difficult and expensive then finding the same for more current equipment.

If you're trying to gauge your ability to administrate a Linux machine I'd probably suggest to either a) Set it up as a home server and muck around with it. Install different daemons and get used to their logging capabilities and features. Compile items from scratch and play with the package manager (if your chosen distribution has one). Or, b) Get a dedicated server with one of the many dedicated server providers out there. A couple listed below;

www.layeredtech.com
    www.softlayer.com
    www.serverbeach.com
    www.astutehosting.com

I am not sure it would be worth it. You can maybe host a couple of sites, but I would still be worried about the cpu getting over loaded. My house computer is faster then that 0_0.

If i install that server at a datacenter it would be replaced inside 3-4months and inside that time I would only be webhosting for myself.
    I wouldnt trust that thing for a client.

When I actually figure out how to do stuff I'll be hopefully getting a socket c32/1155 for clients or if something else comes out at that time or if g34's get alot cheaper

I was friendly with a guy that has his own hosting company but I lost his personal details might go with him if I do get a dedi box,http://www.killercreation.co.uk

Cheers for the reply,
    Seb.

The box will do hosting sure, depends what you want to host on it that will define if it can handle it or not.

I have a old 1750 laying around here and they really are power hungry for such poor specification.

I genuinely belive it will be cheaper to rent a box than colocate that box. If memory serves me right it will use between 1-1.5+ Amps but has been along time since i powered mine on. To utalise 1-1.5+ amps on a 1u colocation package i think you are going to be looking realisticly around the £100+ per month to colocate.

Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    I am not sure it would be worth it. You can maybe host a couple of sites, but I would still be worried about the cpu getting over loaded. My house computer is faster then that 0_0.
    In reality to todays servers its, (thinking of a different word to use) .... terrible.

Its just for messing on, if it costs me 110 euro to colo the thing and i manage to figure out a few things that are bugging me I would be quiet pleased.

If you're just trying to learn remote admin, get a cheap VPS and go wild. If you break anything, click a few buttons on a control panel, re-image it and try again.

For anything production, a dedicated server would be a better idea than colo'ing. Not only would you get more powerful hardware (an atom would probably outperform it), it would also be cheaper because of the power consumption on that box.

Unless you have an very powerful/custom server or a lot of servers, colo will be significantly more expensive than renting the server.

In addition to the base fees, keep in mind that colo'ing unreliable gear is especially bad if its remote. If things break you need to pay for both the replacement part and for remote hands to install it. For example, if your power supply blows out, with a dedicated server, you'd submit a ticket, have it replaced and be back online in a couple hours. With colo, if you didn't stock spares of everything, then you'll buy the replacement, wait around for the part to ship, then wait until it can be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Rackedeu View Post
    To utalise 1-1.5+ amps on a 1u colocation package i think you are going to be looking realisticly around the £100+ per month to colocate.
    Glad I found this thread. I also have a friend who just offered me a Dell PowerEdge 1750. So to colocate a server of this type there is also a fee for amps used?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarti View Post
    Glad I found this thread. I also have a friend who just offered me a Dell PowerEdge 1750. So to colocate a server of this type there is also a fee for amps used?

that server is going to use 2-4Amps of power.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    that server is going to use 2-4Amps of power.

Yes, that's way too much.

Thanks

mkc is right if you are learning the ropes. Go with a VPS in case you screw something up. I have 1 1750 left in production in a colo. It does use a good deal of power and isn't the best option for colo. That platform is pretty old and you can get a cheap dedicated with a modern processor that will bury that thing.

before you go shouting out amps make sure you mention what voltage so people dont get the wrong idea.

i tested it there, server at max when fans are maxed out uses 180 watts, about .8 amps 240volts. WITHOUT HDD

I've decided just to use this and test it till I kill it, wasnt expecting to be that inefficient.

but I still think its worth the 30 euro to my door

Quote Originally Posted by vertek View Post
    before you go shouting out amps make sure you mention what voltage so people dont get the wrong idea.

i tested it there, server at max when fans are maxed out uses 180 watts, about .8 amps 240volts. WITHOUT HDD

I've decided just to use this and test it till I kill it, wasnt expecting to be that inefficient.

but I still think its worth the 30 euro to my door
    Sorry my quote was 240V as i saw your location was Ireland.

Like you said, 0.8 Without and hard drives, without any load on CPU,RAM.

What i will do tomo, is boot up my 1750 for you on a power reader with hard-drives and boot into a OS and then photo it for you so you get a better idea before being lumped with large power costs.

Regards

Just get 2 sata drives w/ software raid 1. It can handle a few sites, definitely and upgrade from most VPSs.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyVox View Post
    Just get 2 sata drives w/ software raid 1. It can handle a few sites, definitely and upgrade from most VPSs.
    afik, 1750's only support scsi
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6

Never said without any load, tested with memtest and pulled a fan out for a few seconds system goes mad and puts all fans to 100% for 20-30 seconds.

afaik memtest stresses cpu and ram close to 100% I could be very wrong on that though.

1750's are scsi only, thats the problem. I could put in a sata card, long cable and modify scsi backplane (or remove it if it doesnt effect system).

ADDED >>Just so everyone knows, I'll never have a client on this thing, They'll always be atleast 1u away .

Cheers for the responses.

Seb.
    Last edited by vertek; 05-06-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added a bit

Just wanted to update this, and admit i was wrong.

I have just booted up my 1750, Single Xeon 2.4Ghz, 2x2GB RAM, 3x U320 SCSI Drives, Single PSU.

Boot up saw power at 0.6AMPS - Once the HDD's kicked in it saw 0.75AMPS.
    Once it had booted into Windows Server 2003 and was at idle was back down to 0.53AMPS.

This has surprised me as i have memorys of it drinking more! Oh well nicely proven wrong.

I think from the results that under full load with 3x Drives you will be looking around 0.95AMPS~ ish. So a 1U Colo with 1AMP of power will be enough!

Regards

What voltage power? This seems
    impossible since each CPU iirc a 135 w proc

Just wanted to update this, and admit i was wrong.

I have just booted up my 1750, Single Xeon 2.4Ghz, 2x2GB RAM, 3x U320 SCSI Drives, Single PSU.

Boot up saw power at 0.6AMPS - Once the HDD's kicked in it saw 0.75AMPS.
    Once it had booted into Windows Server 2003 and was at idle was back down to 0.53AMPS.

This has surprised me as i have memorys of it drinking more! Oh well nicely proven wrong.

I think from the results that under full load with 3x Drives you will be looking around 0.95AMPS~ ish. So a 1U Colo with 1AMP of power will be enough!

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by CraterHost View Post
    My house computer is faster then that 0_0.

Dell PE1750 will serve well. Not sure why anybody would underestimate it.

Your house computer, is just that ... full of consumer grade parts ... While it might be faster, I don't think it is as reliable.

In my experience and if I recall correctly, the PE1750 may need more than 200 Watts of power. So if power is not your issue, then I am sure that server will work well for you, a reliable one indeed. We had bunch of Dell 1750/2650 servers that ran 24x7 for years with surprisingly very few failures.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

What voltage power? This seems
    impossible since each CPU iirc a 135 w proc
    240V as stated a couple of posts back.

240V as stated a couple of posts back.
    98% of all US colos will operate with 120v... So he needs to adjust his numbers.. he is far from 1A @ 120v
    Yellow Fiber Networks

98% of all US colos will operate with 120v... So he needs to adjust his numbers.. he is far from 1A @ 120v
    He is in Ireland, so i would assume colocating in Ireland or UK rather than shipping it half way round the world. Hence all my quotes at 240V.

I’m also looking to co-locate in Ireland. Similar rig.

PowerEdge 1750
    Dual CPU
    Dual 73GB SCSI 10HDD
    4GB Ram
    Dual Power Supply

Anyone think this is too much of a power hog and will run in to power overage, suggest a better way to configure, hds etc…?

vertek, can you suggest a colo/pricing in Ireland?
    Btw, my family is originally from Courtown

Cheers

With older models of any server your worst enemy is always going to be Productivity vs Power. Power is the most expensive part of colocation now days with some prices ive seen at £65/70/month Per AMP. Tally that with bandwidth and the colocation price itself it can start to add up.

Short term a cheap server may look attractive, but long term the price can overtake the cost to buying a more powerful modern machine.

As the OP said he was looking to utalise as a short term fix thats fine.

A quick example.

Cheap Server - £30
    1 Year Colo @ 1AMP Power - £1140 (£95/month)
    Total - £1170/year.

New Server - £500/600
    1 Year Colo @ 0.5AMPS - £480 (£40/month)
    Total - £980-£1180/year

Of course just my opinion of utalising a newer bit of hardware will serve better long term.