physical location of server and my customers

I'm about to invest between 300-500 dollars a month for a managed dedicated server but before I do I would really appreciate some input on this from someone who knows what they are talking about

I'm in the UK but I want to purchase a US based server. How much of a difference with regards to speed will the physical location of the server be for my customers? Is there some way for me to test this?

I know it's going to depend on the server and the hosting company etc but please assume all things are equal here so that I may understand if this is something I need to worry about

Thank-you

Choose your provider, ask for test IP and test file.
    Do the ping/traceroute for the latency (note this is not the ultimate test of speed)
    Download the file for the download speed.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Choose your provider, ask for test IP and test file.
    Do the ping/traceroute for the latency (note this is not the ultimate test of speed)
    Download the file for the download speed.
    thanks so much. I will do this once I pick a new provider. Got a headache ahead of me right now with so many choices

You can use host-tracker.com to download the test file from multiple locations (I'm not sure if a 100MB test file will work, but I know for certain that a 10MB one will).

However, a web page is not one big file, so judging web browsing performance from download speed alone would be imperfect. If your web page contains hundreds of tiny files, latency will have much more influence.

If most of your customers are from the UK, is there any particular reason why you are looking for a dedicated server in the USA?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

If you really want to purchase a dedicated server in the US, go for one in the NYC area or around there. Two companies that come to mind are InterServer and Medialayer (the have options for US, EU, or Asia DCs).
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

I'm in the UK but I want to purchase a US based server. How much of a difference with regards to speed will the physical location of the server be for my customers? Is there some way for me to test this?
    If you are dealing with really fast US based web host I suppose you will never see delays in site loading.
    Worldwide network is developing and I suppose that allow anyone arond the world chose web hosting around the world and be patient about connection speed.

@ldcdc

I will check that out. Thank-you very much.

@FernGullyGraphics

Costs and value for money to be honest. Research is drawing me to at least 3 companies offering managed dedicated servers but they are all based in the US. Rackspace in the UK were my preferred choice but much too expensive.

@flam316

Thank-you very much. I will look over their websites today

@SiberForum

I realise my post has no clear definitive answer but thank-you very much for the clarification. That eases my worries.

If you're looking for US based server, the eastern coast datacenter is better since it's closer to UK.

Maybe you will be better to use EU server provider.

If your audience is located in certain region better have web hosting from that region.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey View Post
    @ldcdc

I will check that out. Thank-you very much.

@FernGullyGraphics

Costs and value for money to be honest. Research is drawing me to at least 3 companies offering managed dedicated servers but they are all based in the US. Rackspace in the UK were my preferred choice but much too expensive.

@flam316

Thank-you very much. I will look over their websites today

@SiberForum

I realise my post has no clear definitive answer but thank-you very much for the clarification. That eases my worries.
    What are the three providers you are thinking of moving forward with?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

location of server dont really matter as far as you get good result in pingin its ips..you can request this from the provider