Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CityNet Host - complete lack of competence

I was one of those which always sympathized with citynethost when some other bashed their service. With distance (Egypt), price, etc... we can't expect miracle, mega performance, etc... and so didn't I.

After I got their vps I made my own setup (basic security, updates, compilers..) and then I let it unused to see pefromance before any real usage per months. And then it came this "revolution" in Egypt, whole country offline, etc... so I never had chance to really used it. But few days ago I tryed to log in and I noticed that I cannot. VPS was down. Also boot through SolusVM didn't help, so I opened support ticket and marked is as High priority (I rare do this, but I believe that any downtime can be marked as high priority). It took approximately two days that someone finally answered.

Two days of waiting to get next short answer: "Everything is working fine at our end"

Huh?

I sent them (dead) ping report from various locations to get another short answer which basicly said: it's all ok from our side, you need to reinstall your vps

Huh?
    Reinstall without explanation - just like that? Are those people awared that they run serious business? That people trust them with their datas, etc..

It was obviously that guy with logic "node is up and running, all rest is your problem" didn't have clue what's wrong and insisted in reinstallation.

I requested to escalate ticket to someone other, preferable to Mr. M. Talaat which seems very active around but this never happened, neither some further explanation, so after few days of their ignorance I opened ticket to their billing department in hope to reach Mr. M. Talaat and finally I did. His answer was: "I can not understand your long story. Please explain in few words your question."

Huh? Is this some strange sense of humour? What's so hard to understand here. I want to know why my vps is down atleast some week and of course I want it back online.

And yes.. at same time I got next message: "Server recreated. IP address: 41.215.240.xx". Huh? What? That's not even my IP! Beside that this new vps have lower specs (half less bandwidth). Still no explanation given.

So basicly till this date I have no clue what happened to my vps, why is down and why they gave me other vps. The most ironic thing here is that first support guy tryed to blame me with "One or more of the programs you installed has crashed the frame of your VM" disregarding the fact that I didn't even use this vps and if that would be true... would this require completely new account with new IP and different specs?

Can you imagine that those people run their own DC? One week of my struggle to get some real explanation is like talking to wall. I know that things can go wrong sometimes, that accidents happens, but is that hard to communicate with customer openly? Is that hard to admit mistake? To show some regret for customer loss? What if I would be one of those customers which really use their service? If I would host sites? Is "you need to reinstall vps" without any futher explanation really answer for every downtime?

I don't know what to think about this host now but about one thing I am sure. Host uncapable to tell to customer why vps is gone isn't host which would be trusted for any serious work.

It's not vps downtime reason why I post here. Not even potential complete vps loss. Things can go wrong sometimes... and I am actually lucky that I didn't host anything serious here.
    But their approach! Complete lack of responsability and competence. Their try to blame customer for something what is evidently their fault. Their unpreparation to tell the truth. This is what I really don't appreciate from them and made me to introduce my case to WHT community.

Unlucky!
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Sounds like 12 year olds running another get rich quick hosting company.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Yes, this is exactly thing which surprised me. I didn't expect some extremly stable service taking into account their geographical position, single homed connection to the rest of the world, etc... but what I expected was some responsible, professional approach, as something what is possible to do no matter where they come from and there they failed the most.

Also I believe that I am reasonable enough not to expect perfect service for low price and I really wouldn't open this thread for some downtime here and there but all this pretending like nothing happens, like there's everything ok from their side, blaming customers, etc... and basically their incapability to communicate on some fair-play level it's a step too far to let it go like nothing happens.

My last question in support ticket was:

Where is my VPS? VPS with IP 41.223.52.161 and 1000 GB bandwidth?

Their last reply was again short:

Server terminated and payment refunded.

It seems like they didn't took my WHT review well and I will never know what happened to my vps hosted at citynet host. I don't feel some special loss as I never used this vps and with all this... I wouldn't either in future however I believe that this can be dealed way better if they would capable to take some responsability and communicate with customer.

I sympathise deeply with your frustration. It is always disappointing when things that we rely upon and trust let us down. I think that part of the problem (but by no means all of the problem) is that we all put incredible pressures on providers in every business sector to get ever lower prices (so we can make greater profits) that in turn results in them employing people on minimum wage without the training or resources to do the job properly. It is a vicious circle. And which of us is entirely innocent?

I've read all posts in this thread and I'm currently customer of them. They service was down because of revolution in Egypt and that can't be the problem of Citynethost. I had some days downtime too but they fixed it - no loose of any data on my VPS. The support is not the fastest but why aren't you asking them in the livechat directly? They are there daily, many hours/day. The billing looks not the best but it's acceptable. I'm paying what I'm getting. The VPS-uptime was very good before and after the problems with revolution. Same with the ping. Citynethost is a very nice and friendly/polite company and they give me what I pay. No serious problems so far and maybe you got only a bad start. You need to make sure that you get what you pay for! Citynethost gives the best prices ever with good (24h for an answer is ok, not very lame/bad) support. You pay the same service for much more USD somewhere else. There you will get better support (answers within 1-3 hours) but the price is more important to me and the response time was every time well.

@warg, what about to read my post completely before reply to it?

If you would read my post carefully you would notice that I never blamed them for downtime during revolution, neither because all other downtimes. You would also noticed that I didn't expect some extraordinary service for this money. While you replyed in some standard generalization I specificly described where's problem and that's for sure not something what we customers pay for. You mentioned my bad start? Which bad start? My first citynethost invoice was paid in September 2010 and I don't consider myself as their new customer.
    While you're lucky with "no serious problems so far" I described exctly one of those cases. Read atleast initial post before replay next time, ok? :-)

@Patrick - vpsMachine, you got a point there. Magic circle in every business sector.

I read your entire post of course. But what do you want to hear from us? That Citynethost is a bad host? That they suck or that they aren't professional? We, except you and Citynethost team, don't know the tickets/emails, the exact VPS problem and so on nothing, only your mind about the problem. Why didn't you asked in the livechat? Nearly all of my requests gets solved there, very fast and professional.

Because live chat isn't online most of the time (even this moment redirect us on pre-sales web form) and as I believe writing support ticket is the proper way to get support related problem solved.
    And yes, I think that they didn't show any professionalism in this case. You're right when you said that we don't know nothing about my "vps problem" but not as you said because I expressed my opinion but because they never told me. Please stop generalize regarding your own citynethost experience but again, read what is written - because one day it might happen also to you and you will drasticly change your opinion about this host as I did...

edit:
    As a side note - they are awared of this thread and there is still hope that one day M. Talaat (wht member) will appear here to tell us what happened to this vps - something what he isn't capable to explain through support ticket.
    Last edited by Spirit; 05-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick - vpsMachine View Post
    I sympathise deeply with your frustration. It is always disappointing when things that we rely upon and trust let us down. I think that part of the problem (but by no means all of the problem) is that we all put incredible pressures on providers in every business sector to get ever lower prices (so we can make greater profits) that in turn results in them employing people on minimum wage without the training or resources to do the job properly. It is a vicious circle. And which of us is entirely innocent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Because live chat isn't online most of the time (even this moment redirect us on pre-sales web form) and as I believe writing support ticket is the proper way to get support related problem solved.
    And yes, I think that they didn't show any professionalism in this case. You're right when you said that we don't know nothing about my "vps problem" but not as you said because I expressed my opinion but because they never told me. Please stop generalize regarding your own citynethost experience but again, read what is written - because one day it might happen also to you and you will drasticly change your opinion about this host as I did...

edit:
    As a side note - they are awared of this thread and there is still hope that one day M. Talaat (wht member) will appear here to tell us what happened to this vps - something what he isn't capable to explain through support ticket.
    It really surprises me as to how people would react with such threads...

If we were a quick get rich company 12 years old kids or w/e we wouldn't of been there for all of that time providing the best budget servers But seriously couldn't that be something like you daily have if you were a service provider some client got his box done some modifications to his VPS which is completely fair but when it a client damages the frame of his virtual machine would we be responsible still to manage his/her own VPS to do backups every single second for an un-managed service? Short replies to thousands of tickets everyday is better than ignoring it till we have enough time to write like 10 pages thread somewhere live chat is working for 20 hours a day if not more...At the end of the day we're apologizing for your bad experience with us which you lost nothing at not even time since you appear to have plenty of it to write such a thread your money is refunded however OS re-installation wouldn't of been a major problem to anybody who's interested in any sort of services.

Thanks for sharing your reviews anyway

Khalid
    CityNet Host

Only problem is that this user didn't damaged his vps, that this user didn't even put his vps in productional state and it was, as your graphs for sure show, 0 (zero) resources used vps whole 7 or so months after basic setup (security set up, updates, installed compilers).

Beside that I have reason to believe that you know what was really wrong and you lie otherwise you wouldn't replace this VPS with new one with other IP, most likely on other node and for sure with other specs (half less bandwidth).
    You lie because you didn't just reinstall my OS but basicly recreated completely other vps account. You never explained anything, all what I got was:

Mohamed Talaat
    Staff 04/05/2011 23:15
    Hello,

Server recreated.

IP address: 41.215.240.112

Kind Regards,
    CityNet Host
    But this of course wasn't even my VPS. My VPS had originally 1000GB bandwidth and IP was 41.223.52.161. So why do you pretend like customer damaged his vps but infact you replaced it with other vps?

edit. (added screnshot)
    This was my new VPS which I got yesterday and was completely terminated again without explanation by them today (other IP, half less bandwidth)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solus-citynethost.jpg  
    Last edited by Spirit; 05-05-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added screnshot

Only problem is that this user didn't damaged his vps, that this user didn't even put his vps in productional state and it was, as your graphs for sure show, 0 (zero) resources used vps whole 7 or so months after basic setup (security set up, updates, installed compilers).

Beside that I have reason to believe that you know what was really wrong and you lie otherwise you wouldn't replace this VPS with new one with other IP, most likely on other node and for sure with other specs (half less bandwidth).
    You lie because you didn't just reinstall my OS but basicly recreated completely other vps account. You never explained anything, all what I got was:

But this of course wasn't even my VPS. My VPS had originally 1000GB bandwidth and IP was 41.223.52.161. So why you pretend like customer would damage his vps but infact you replaced it with other vps?
    When a container or frame of a VPS is damaged there are no options but OS re-installation which you obviously refused and obviously he did re-create another one because he wanted to help that's it it's becoming more and more pointless replying in this thread you know your money even that wasn't the point to start with we explained our point of view and you did too if it's a complain it should be at CityNet support tickets if it's a share of a review we already did.

I never got any explanation from citynethost only guessing that as node is obviously up, customer most likely did something to his vps. And after I explained that I didn't do anything to harm this vps, that I didn't even use this vps, that after some longer time I just tryed to log in... there communication stopped.
    You didn't explain your point because you didn't explain anything at all. Your reply after two days of waiting was "Everything is working fine at our end" - while obviously wasn't.
    Is that hard to say "sorry, we deleted your account by mistake" or soemthing like that instead lying and pretending like nothing happens...

This what you did wasn't OS reinstallation but other VPS replacement. OS reinstallation would keep same IP and same VPS specs... so why so much lying while your simple admitting of mistake and apology would do it - before I opened this thread.

I never got any explanation from citynethost only guessing that as node is obviously up, customer most likely did something to his vps. And after I explained that I didn't do anything to harm this vps, that I didn't even use this vps, that after some longer time I just tryed to log in... there communication stopped.
    You didn't explain your point because you didn't explain anything at all. Your reply after two days of waiting was "Everything is working fine at our end" - while obviously wasn't.
    Is that hard to say "sorry, we deleted your account by mistake" or soemthing like that instead lying and pretending like nothing happens...

This what you did wasn't OS reinstallation but other VPS replacement.
    Why would we delete just random account specially just to you your account wasn't deleted not until you were provided with a new box and not now when your money is refunded and yes everything was fine at our end since not all the node customers ain't here complaining about something didn't exist

I don't know, you tell me. Some past maintenance? Some force reboot in past? Some administrative mistake? How the hell I can know where you messed up as you're not capable to admit mistake which obviously is on your side.
    And not it's not all fine on your end because as you're not prepared to spend some time to find out what's wrong all this can happen to someone again.
    What will you do next time when someone will open support ticket "my vps is offline"? and on first your reboot it wont come back. Same as in this case:
    - our node is up so everything is fine on our side
    - you need to reinstall OS
    - here is your new vps on new node with new IP and other specs
    - your account with us is terminated and we issued refund

Are you awared that people trust you with their datas? That OS vps reinstallation isn't first answer on every such YOUR screw up? That some people might lost much more than I did with your incompetent unresposible approach?

I don't know, you tell me. Some past maintenance? Some force reboot in past? Some administrative mistake? How the hell I can know where you messed up as you're not capable to admit mistake which obviously is on your side.
    And not it's not all fine on your end because as you're not prepared to spend some time to find out what's wrong all this can happen to someone again.
    What will you do next time when someone will open support ticket "my vps is offline"? and on first your reboot it wont come back. Same as in this case:
    - our node is up so everything is fine on our side
    - you need to reinstall OS
    - here is your new vps on new node with new IP and other specs
    - your account with us is terminated and we issued refund

Are you awared that people trust you with their datas? That OS vps reinstallation isn't first answer on every such YOUR screw up? That some people might lost much more than I did with your incompetent unresposible approach?
    Well I'm not replying to this anymore and I request thread to be closed but I just wanted to make sure that you're aware that when you're using an unmanaged service you sould configure your own backup to be restored anytime and we never risked any clients data end of story.

Can some vps host confirm (unbiased experts opinion) - in case that customer ruin his OpenVZ/solusVM vps OS - does this require completely new container recreation with new IP, etc.. or simple OS reinstallation would be enough?

Because in this case they didn't reinstall my OS but replaced vps with new one (different IP, different specs). Yes they failed even with vps specifications here.

Quote Originally Posted by CityNetHost View Post
    I request thread to be closed
    Why would you do that? Didn't you came here with one and only role: to deny everything is it true or not, to avoid negative publicity. It's relatively fresh thread and you're not even thread starter to request that.

I am not a host but using many SolusVM-OpenVZ hosts and I am pretty sure that a client cannot corrupt his container from his end to such a extent that a simple OS reinstall from SolusVM won't fix things. My assumption is that CityNetHost have no clue what happened to your lost VPS, they lost your VPS IP, Plan specs etc so they preferred to create a fresh one for you.

My theory: Oh this customer isn't using his service lets move him or may be he does'nt know lets kill the vps to accomodate another customer and when he comes back give him a vps on another node.

I might be wrong but there has to be an explanation of recreating the vps on a diffrent node with diffrent ip.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by seefull View Post
    I am not a host but using many SolusVM-OpenVZ hosts and I am pretty sure that a client cannot corrupt his container from his end to such a extent that a simple OS reinstall from SolusVM won't fix things. My assumption is that CityNetHost have no clue what happened to your lost VPS, they lost your VPS IP, Plan specs etc so they preferred to create a fresh one for you.
    This is also my opinion and I wouldn't even open this thread if they would be capable to admit that. Honesty count in relationship with customer in this business. The worst thing what host can do when things goes wrong is ignorance and/or false accusations instead taking responsability. As I said, I am actually lucky as I didn't lost any datas and I would easily let it go.. if they would be just honest with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusai View Post
    My theory: Oh this customer isn't using his service lets move him or may be he does'nt know lets kill the vps to accomodate another customer and when he comes back give him a vps on another node.

I might be wrong but there has to be an explanation of recreating the vps on a diffrent node with diffrent ip.
    On OpenVZ a unused VPS isn't using resources anyways (except the IP) so why would they do something like that ?

@Spirit,

I got a similar experience whereby the VPS was corrupted and it has to be re-created (with a different IP). No I'm not the one who messed up the VPS, and at the same time they can't tell what went wrong.

I didn't pursue further since there's nothing important on the VPS, but I do share the same feeling that this provider does not have the right competence to solve technical problems. That's just my personal opinion though.

Question

Hi,

I use their service for a little bit less than 1 year without any problem. Just one they solve quick and well.
    After 6 month of good service I took another vps with them and everything was perfect.
    1 week ago I ask if it was possible to enable the tun module on my vps and they answer me yes and without any reason they suspended both account.
    I open a ticket (Ticket ID: 515269) but don't have any answer.
    I have the same usage with my vps since I have it.
    Hope to have some help here.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast