Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Handling 100k+ Visitors daily

I was recently on shared hosting getting about 5k unique visitors daily, and drastically moved up in search engine for various keywords bringing me about 100k-120k visitors daily. The site is running on Wordpress.

My site was down constantly so I needed to get off of GoDaddy shared hosting, so I found a VPS and tried it out. The site was slow and crashed frequently which lead me to trying a dedicated server, which I am also having huge problems with slow loading.

The server specs are good with a 1GBit connection, costing me around $300 / mo. What should I do? Should I be running on more then 1 server? I have never had to use anything but shared hosting so I am new to this.

Thanks

You should hire a system administrator to manage your servers has you stated you are new and dosen't have the knowledge to manage the servers by yourself.

Ask you provider they probably offer some management services.
    UnderHost.comOffshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    Managed OnApp CloudUSA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Caribbean - United States - Russia

Depending on the plugins you're using and what caching you are (or are not) using it would be pretty easy to configure your server to sustain that traffic.

Ultimately I would agree with UnderHost above me, and get a system administrator who is experienced with this sort of thing from optimizing the server itself including Apache/LiteSpeed/Nginx and MySQL as well as WordPress.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Agreed. That is just a little over 1 hit per second, which any modern server should be able to handle with proper optimization.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Depending on the site content, you should be okay with just the one server. Ask your host if they offer managed hosting. If they do not, start looking elsewhere. Your going to lose your rankings if your site is always down and slow.

100tb.com has managed services.

I agree too, since you are relatively new, investigate a hosting provider that has experience in the industry and offers systems already optimized for the traffic you anticipate.

We've been pretty happy with a litespeed+eaccelerator+memcache solution.

Thanks and good luck!
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Check out the Varnish cPanel plugin from Unixy.

Hello,

Beware that varnish works well for static sites but becomes unusable for sites that constantly change. Remember that your posts will take a bit longer to show depending on your timeout settings for varnish. But yes, this plugin is great for sites that are very busy with not much content change.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

You listed the net speed for your server but not the cpu or ram. You might check that first. If you only have 2gb of ram and a single dual core cpu you might need to upgrade to a quad core and 4 to 8 Gb of ram.

Even if you don't have a managed server you should still be able to ask your provider to check and see how your resources are doing and see what they recommend. I would personally start there and then if needed look into either hiring someone to manage your server or getting a provider that manages your server for you.

Quote Originally Posted by killigan View Post
    You listed the net speed for your server but not the cpu or ram. You might check that first. If you only have 2gb of ram and a single dual core cpu you might need to upgrade to a quad core and 4 to 8 Gb of ram.

Even if you don't have a managed server you should still be able to ask your provider to check and see how your resources are doing and see what they recommend. I would personally start there and then if needed look into either hiring someone to manage your server or getting a provider that manages your server for you.
    It's an i7 920 with 6GB RAm.

Try to optimize your website design and use a managed VPS with sufficient memory.

considering you are getting a lot of hits, if you are running on apache, it's probably overloaded with requests for images/js/css, etc ...

try moving all the web assets to an nginx server or just replace the whole server to litespeed ...

enabling opcode caching (or wp cache plugins) will help too but i'm guessing you already did that, so my guess is your server is probably overloaded with static files requests.

this is because apache doesn't scale very well with concurrent users due to it's inefficiency at serving static files.

Quote Originally Posted by jaequery View Post
    considering you are getting a lot of hits, if you are running on apache, it's probably overloaded with requests for images/js/css, etc ...

try moving all the web assets to an nginx server or just replace the whole server to litespeed ...

enabling opcode caching (or wp cache plugins) will help too but i'm guessing you already did that, so my guess is your server is probably overloaded with static files requests.

this is because apache doesn't scale very well with concurrent users due to it's inefficiency at serving static files.
    I can actually upgrade to litespeed for $30 more a month, so I may do that and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jaequery View Post

Or you could try CloudFlare... that would take all the images/css/js load off of your server. It can't hurt to try it out considering that their basic plan is free. If it doesn't work out for you, than it doesn't work out for you, but it could really help you out in this situation.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Quote Originally Posted by qwat View Post
    I was recently on shared hosting getting about 5k unique visitors daily, and drastically moved up in search engine for various keywords bringing me about 100k-120k visitors daily. The site is running on Wordpress.

My site was down constantly so I needed to get off of GoDaddy shared hosting, so I found a VPS and tried it out. The site was slow and crashed frequently which lead me to trying a dedicated server, which I am also having huge problems with slow loading.

The server specs are good with a 1GBit connection, costing me around $300 / mo. What should I do? Should I be running on more then 1 server? I have never had to use anything but shared hosting so I am new to this.

Thanks
    Start by disabling all of the non-critical WordPress pluggins. Then install and configure WP SuperCache.

BTW, good work on the traffic. It is impressive when somebody gets 100k visitors per day.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Take a look at this presentation on scaling Wordpress for high traffic for some ideas, and then hire someone to optimize your server. I think you have the hardware in place to make the site work. With the hardware and memory you have, I think its all about configuration at this point. You might even ask at Wordpress who they recommend for configuring a server.

We can also use firefox extension like Yahoo's YSlow to see what elements in the Site are causing maximum loading time and optimize your site from that angle.

Looks like I'm going to need to find another company. WiredTree is just not working out and I've had nothing but problems already. My site was more stable on Shared hosting then this.

Looks like I'm going to need to find another company. WiredTree is just not working out and I've had nothing but problems already. My site was more stable on Shared hosting then this.
    Sounds like you're a newbie with VPS. In the current scenario I feel you should take some paid experts help to sort out the installation.
    Even if you switch over, similar issues may still come.

What is your ticket ID? If you can PM or email it to me I'd be happy to look into your situation.
    Zac Cogswell / CEI
    Formerly known as WiredTree Zac

Post RE:

I have a site with around 200k visits a day according to analytics's. Obviously this accumulated over time, when I had similar traffic to what you have been getting, a 4GB Linux VPS seemed to cope pretty well with it.

I suggest you get a Linux VPS with some decent specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by CowHosts View Post
    I have a site with around 200k visits a day according to analytics's. Obviously this accumulated over time, when I had similar traffic to what you have been getting, a 4GB Linux VPS seemed to cope pretty well with it.

I suggest you get a Linux VPS with some decent specifications.
    What kind of specs did it have?

yeh, i was going to say that you did a very good work on traffic. cant imagine i have same for my projects!

Switched to Litespeed and the site is now extremely fast. Solved all issues.

Thumbs up RE:

Switched to Litespeed and the site is now extremely fast. Solved all issues.
    Glad everything is sorted.

I think you'll find if your using shared hosting, it may effect the dedicated server and the provider may suspend you because to much resources are being used.

I don't know each company is different, just the heads up..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast