65. You may not vote on this poll
  • cpnginx (paid)

12 18.46%
  • Varnish cPanel/WHM Plugin (paid)

27 41.54%
  • Litespeed (paid)

26 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

cpnginx (paid) vs Unixy Varnish cPanel/WHM Plugin (paid) vs Litespeed (paid)

Which do you prefer?
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

After directly comparing Varnish and Litespeed, we decided to go with Varnish Cache.

Definitely noticed a drop in load and pageload times, worth checking out if you haven't already.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

Litespeed paid since its a more premium product.

People should be making their choice based upon their 2CPU License and not standard edition or 1CPU edition as the full features of Litespeed dont become present untill you hit their 2CPU edition License.
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

I'm using Nginx , Varnish and Apache . That reduces workload for both static as well as dynamic content .
    Best of all worlds

Varnish works as well, possibly better, than LiteSpeed 2-CPU with cache enabled.

Hope to have the testing done on this and published soon now that a major project is out of the way.
    Brent Presley - brent@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - Enterprise Cloud Hosting and Support
    24/7 Dedicated Support, Call us @ 1-888-722-8515
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

When it’s all said and done Apache is still a piece of crap, so in my eyes Varnish is just sprucing up the piece of crap Apache is.

End result a piece of crap with a cache enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHosting View Post
    When it’s all said and done Apache is still a piece of crap, so in my eyes Varnish is just sprucing up the piece of crap Apache is.

ROFL. What ignorance.

It's not the car dude, it's the driver.

If you have the sys admins to properly config, tweak, and optimize Apache, you can get fantastic performance from it. If you do not have that, then you need an out-of-box installer to do things for you.

UNIXy's Varnish plugin takes most of the manual config out of getting great performance from Apache, at a fraction of the cost of Litespeed. (but there are still plenty of tweaks left to improve performance for those that want to tinker).
    www.innoscale.net - Ashburn - Dallas - Seattle - Santa Clara - Chicago - Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley View Post
    ROFL. What ignorance.

It's not the car dude, it's the driver.

If you have the sys admins to properly config, tweak, and optimize Apache, you can get fantastic performance from it. If you do not have that, then you need an out-of-box installer to do things for you.

UNIXy's Varnish plugin takes most of the manual config out of getting great performance from Apache, at a fraction of the cost of Litespeed. (but there are still plenty of tweaks left to improve performance for those that want to tinker).
    Why do I need to pay for an administrator to continually keep Apache Configs tweaked when I can use Litespeed which requires next to none tweaking plus its Apache interchangeable

Yet again your comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari, Litespeed being the latter!

Maybe you like it because of the cost, I like Litespeed because of the Premium price tag and exclusivity it carrys within the industry.
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-03-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Some of us have admins on staff 24/7.

Since the servers are not having errors (knocks on wood), I have to find something to do with their paid salary time. Once I have a solid config, it's just copy and restart. Chump change.

And Litespeed is FAR FAR from a Ferrari. More like a Lexus: reliable, good performance, but not cheap.

Oh, and let me guess: you are one of those people criticizing Varnish without ACTUALLY trying it? Figures. We have run both, side by side on the same servers. For our needs, Varnish works better.

EDIT: the really interesting thing is that Varnish and Litespeed are NOT mutually exclusive. If you REALLY have time to tinker, you can install Varnish as a front-end cache for Litespeed webserver.

Some of us have admins on staff 24/7.
    Your point being?

Litespeed is FAR FAR from a Ferrari. More like a Lexus: reliable, good performance, but not cheap.
    Still a Lexus is better than a Fiat

Still I have never come across a "cheap" Ferrari, unless of course its ready for the scrap yard

and let me guess: you are one of those people criticizing Varnish without ACTUALLY trying it?
    You heard the saying "Assumptions Are The Mother Of All **** Up's"

We have run both, side by side on the same servers. For our needs, Varnish works better.
    I found Litespeed works better for me, Yet again everyones needs, Applications and businesses are different, Each to their own

If you REALLY have time to tinker, you can install Varnish as a front-end cache for Litespeed webserver.
    You can also give Litespeed a dedicated SAS disk to use for caching which increases performance
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.

So share your raw data then, if you did compare LSWS and Varnish. We await with baited breath.

We have already publicized ours, and additionally are currently working with both camps to provide moderated tests for a performance comparison between the two.

So share your raw data then.
    Its not only raw performance which makes Litespeed wins its the premium price tag and exclusivity.

Price tag meaning its a far cry for the fly-by-night hosts to be using and giving it a bad name.

Its actually a good thing you lot are jumping from Litespeed, Means more of a market for the Litespeed hosts out their who target Litespeed hosting as their niche market

Maybe you like it because of the cost, I like Litespeed because of the Premium price tag and exclusivity it carrys within the industry.
    Cost is great, but it was the 4th or 5th deciding factor for us. Performance was #1.

It's funny too, how many people we have seen asking for Varnish. Heck, that's even the point of this thread. There is BUZZ about it and customers have found a great deal of satisfaction out of the performance of it.

Litespeed has a good name, but it is no longer the end-all be-all of web servers. And Varnish is completely open-source, unlike LiteSpeed. I can go into the source code and see EXACTLY what the functionality is if need be. Cannot do that with LiteSpeed.

Oh, and for the record, Varnish is not remotely CLOSE to being new. The group that develops and maintains Varnish has been around since 2005. LiteSpeed didn't start developing their own memory caching tech until last year. The only thing new about Varnish is that UNIXy took their years of experience with it to sell out their in-house plugin which allows access to their optimized VCLs.

Its not only raw performance which makes Litespeed wins its the premium price tag and exclusivity.

Price tag meaning its a far cry for the fly-by-night hosts to be using and giving it a bad name.

Its actually a good thing you lot are jumping from Litespeed, Means more of a market for the Litespeed hosts out their who target Litespeed hosting as their niche market
    Yeah, I kinda doubt that. Just look here in the forums for how many requests there have been lately for Varnish hosts.

If Varnish was not that good, LiteSpeed would not be putting together their own version of op-caching.

Oh, and for the record, Varnish is not remotely CLOSE to being new. The group that develops and maintains Varnish has been around since 2005. LiteSpeed didn't start developing their own memory caching tech until last year. The only thing new about Varnish is that UNIXy took their years of experience with it to sell out their in-house plugin which allows access to their optimized VCLs.
    I know all this, Your coming across as another "Mr Know It all"

No, You mean UNIXy has stabbed abunch of people in the back for charging for something which is ment to be FREE...

I can go into the source code and see EXACTLY what the functionality is if need be. Cannot do that with LiteSpeed.
    Thats another thing I actually like about Litespeed.

If Varnish was not that good, LiteSpeed would not be putting together their own version of op-caching.
    Another reason why I dont need a reason to switch anytime soon
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.

No, You mean UNIXy has stabbed abunch of people in the back for charging for something which is ment to be FREE...
    What are they charging for that was meant to be "FREE"? Am I missing something . . . did they not develop a plug-in for CPanel? Are we now just giving everything away?

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    What are they charging for that was meant to be "FREE"? Am I missing something . . . did they not develop a plug-in for CPanel? Are we now just giving everything away?
    And they wrote all the VCLs. That is years of work in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    Varnish has been out for a number of years: http://www.varnish-cache.org/

UNIXy has just wrapped up the hard work of an community used a "custom VCL" and made an cPanel plugin from it all and is now charging for that, Which to be honest STINKS.

Why should UNIXy profit from what was already FREE in the first place?

Varnish is a registered trademark and used with permission from Varnish Software AB
    Does UNIXy have permission from Varnish Software AB?

Yes, he does. According to the GPL Varnish allows for 3-rd parties to take their software and enhance it.

Plus, the VCL files that UNIXy and his guys developed in-house alone are worth the cheap monthly fee that he charges, not counting the development of the cPanel and DA plugins.

According to the GPL Varnish allows for 3-rd parties to take their software and enhance it.
    "enhance" what about "profit" ?

Considering Varnish is already FREE, I doubt they let 3rd parties profit off their trademarks, etc

And profit from it.

UNIXy has just wrapped up the hard work of an community used a "custom VCL" and made an cPanel plugin from it all and is now charging for that.
    Please read the bold text.

Apache is only crap for those who do not know how to configure it properly. It can handle surprisingly huge amounts of traffic with or without Varnish. If your knowledge is limited to setting up cPanel and other software with autoinstallers then well... litespeed is for you.

To answer the OP's question, it depends on your server's traffic patterns. Why not trial out all 3 to see which setup serves you best financially/traffic wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    To answer the OP's question, it depends on your server's traffic patterns. Why not trial out all 3 to see which setup serves you best financially/traffic wise.
    That doesn't answer my question. I asked "Which one do you prefer". So I'm asking members which software they prefer. It's just a way of knowing which software is more popular overall with the hosting providers at WHT.

I also created a free vs free alternative thread at nginxcp.com (free) vs litespeedtech.com (free version) ?
    Just a good way of knowing which free and paid software to offer with your servers, etc.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    It's just a way of knowing which software is more popular overall with the hosting providers at WHT.
    WHT is just a fraction of the industry, Yes plenty of providers are here, But theirs plenty out their who aint on these boards.

I think PRICE & COST has a part to play which bandwagon people are on.

I mean if you want "cheap skint flint" performance for a few "bucks" a month then Apache + UNIXy Varnish is probley best for you.

But if you want your services to be associated with the high quality name Litespeed has gained within the industry and prepared to pay the price for their offerings then maybe Litespeed is for you.

The way UNIXy Varnish is priced at, everyones going to be the next "Varnish" host and trying to differate from their offerings while offering Varnish is going to be pretty hard.

It will depend on your business model aswell.

I also see the people who have recently jumped from Litespeed to Varnish are most probley the ones which really cant afford their price tag so looking to cut costs abit like the ones who jump host when another "cheaper" offer promising the same/world comes about.

If you have 100% faith and trust within a product you will not jump ship when a cheaper competiting product arrives on the market.

Litespeeds future looks bright with their caching part of the product and because of their premium price tag its less associated with fly-by-night hosts and the latter alone is enough reasoning for me to like Litespeed.
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-04-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast