Building a new PC with SSD (would like advice)

Hi all,

I'm about to build a new PC soon, here is my current PC:
    Core2Dual 2.6ghz, 2gig ram, Vista Pro 32

The reason why I am building a new PC is because of the video editing and gaming situation.

Using Sony Vegas 9 Pro, encoding a HD video (10minute) takes about 2-3 hours...
    also I can't stream with my HD PvR due to my CPU being overworked (it'll lag the encoding and streaming).

My new system (currently being drafted) will include:
    i7 2600k (will OC it to 4.4ghz or so)
    Windows 7 64-bit (not the Home version but a higher version)
    Intel SSD 120gig SATA III

With this, I was told by people that my encoding should be 15minutes or less (better than 3 hours that's for sure).

Anyways my main question is about the SSD since this is pretty new to me and my friend has one and loved it. Hence, I would LOVE to have one to use and learn about it too, but would LOVE to get information (from those who used SSD) about it.

Here is a few notes and plan I am going use it for which hopefully will give you an idea what I would use it for:
    - will be my bootup drive (obviously)
    - Windows 7 64-bit
    - All my Games installed on it (Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, etc)
    - All my software installed on it (Sony Vegas 9 Pro especially)

Note: Temporary files (from Windows and browsing) will be on a normal hard-drive I think.

So now here comes the questions which I hope those with experiences with SSD can help answer or clear up any misunderstand I may have on it:

I'll be using this SSD as an example to help my questions/answers:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167042

01) Is it viable for me to install those software mentioned above?
    I was told I should put temporary files at the normal hard-drive to keep the SSD memory "clean" from trash stuff (SSD's purpose is for permanent software, not temporary, for read/write access)

02) I have my computer on 24/7, is it bad to have SSD running 24/7?
    Since it is different from a hard-drive, I don't know if I can still have my PC running 24/7

03) I noticed that unlike the other SSD on NewEgg (which advertise about TRIM ability with Windows 7), this particular Intel SSD doesn't have TRIM (aside from that "Data Set Management Command Trim attribute" not sure what it is).

Does it mean it doesn't support Windows 7 TRIM like the other SSD or it involves a much more technical know-how to use the TRIM function?

I know from a little research that delete data (and temporary files) are NOT removed and you need to use the TRIM feature to free up the memory space for new data to be read/write.

So this function seems pretty important unless I am misunderstanding something about it.

04) Does reading/writing too much degrade the drive (wear-tear)? Or it just slows down the overall speed of read/write (even though it will always be faster than a normal hard-drive).

Again, this goes back to my first question, about keeping permanent software on SSD while setting Temporary Files and stuff on normal hard-drive.

05) Referring to #04, using TRIM should keep the drive clean from "trash/temp" files for new read/write data right? Can TRIM degrade the SSD from constant usage?

Obviously you can tell I'm knew to this lol.. but yet, want to learn more about SSD.

Well that's all the common questions I would love to learn about SSD.. but the best part (yes my personal test) is I would love to see how crazy this scenario would happen once I get it (unless any of you would voice your opinion on it):

As known with a 10min video....

Core2Dual = 3 hours encoding
    i7 2600k = 15minutes (theoretical from what people told me)

i7 2600k + SSD (have Vegas Pro + Raw video all on SSD) = Super Fast?!

I would love to try that lol.. but like stated on my questions above, I don't know if constant file adding and deleting (video files for encoding) onto the SSD itself could degrade and break the SSD early.

Thanks to anyone who can help answer the questions!
    I might ask more later if new concerns pops up!

- LL

To many questions ... but don't worry about trashing your SSD, people get way to OCD about this stuff, as of 2011, buy Intel and use it with Windows 7 and let TRIM take care of everything. However, since you know ahead of time that you'll be writing gigs of data per day (Intel rates their flash cell wear leveling at 20gigs per day for 5 or 10 years, I forget) then you need a bigger drive than 120 I would think. You don't want to touch every flash cell in one day every day.

Why would you buy an SSD for video editing?

1) Right now SSD is the worst for video editing because of it's linear read/write fashion. If you do go SSD, make sure all your editing is done on a traditional hard disk. The Intel SSD SATA III does not have high enough random IOPS yet and all that editing is all wear & tear on a SSD. Use the SSD for applications only for now, until they improve the life (3 - 5 years) expectancy.

2) It does not matter.

3) All new SSDs have TRIM since generation 2.

4) Yes, but the new SSDs can read/write 20-40GB a day for 3 years.

5) Yes it will degrade, all SSDs degrade currently.
    Harris Fufu
    SimplifyChinese | PalPadPark
    vBulletin customer since Jan '06

You didn't list your new computer's RAM, be sure to get a minimum of 16GB of RAM. I use my new (as of 10/2011) computer for both video editing (premier), and 3d modeling (3dsmax, etc). Ram makes a HUGE difference.

I use SSD for my main drive, and a separate SSD for games and apps installation, plus a regular HD for temp files, and storage.

The key is to have your primary SSD only for the core OS and nothing else. Have another one for installed products, and use a regular hard drive for storage and temporary files mappings, etc.
    1. Mmmmm food...

16gb of ram is overkill.

ive done video editing and 3ds max and you dont need 16gb in a workstation. thats what rendering farms are for.

however I do agree with having an SSD drive as main os drive.

if you ask me those sata II ssd drives are getting outdated. Revo drives is where its at these days.

Quote Originally Posted by pcunite View Post
    To many questions ... but don't worry about trashing your SSD, people get way to OCD about this stuff, as of 2011, buy Intel and use it with Windows 7 and let TRIM take care of everything. However, since you know ahead of time that you'll be writing gigs of data per day (Intel rates their flash cell wear leveling at 20gigs per day for 5 or 10 years, I forget) then you need a bigger drive than 120 I would think. You don't want to touch every flash cell in one day every day.
    Yea I know its so many questions but that's the cause of lack of experience and wanting to learn from those who knows about it.

I know TRIM does take care of everything but again, the OCX SSDs mentions having TRIM compatible with Win7.. but Intel's SSD does not (on the NewEgg Details page), which makes me wonder if that means I need to use a separate program for TRIM or Intel has its own and doesn't use Win7 OR TRIM is standard (but isn't mentioned in the details).

Quote Originally Posted by GamerFu View Post
    Why would you buy an SSD for video editing?

1) Right now SSD is the worst for video editing because of it's linear read/write fashion. If you do go SSD, make sure all your editing is done on a traditional hard disk. The Intel SSD SATA III does not have high enough random IOPS yet and all that editing is all wear & tear on a SSD. Use the SSD for applications only for now, until they improve the life (3 - 5 years) expectancy.

2) It does not matter.

3) All new SSDs have TRIM since generation 2.

4) Yes, but the new SSDs can read/write 20-40GB a day for 3 years.

5) Yes it will degrade, all SSDs degrade currently.

Actually that "theory" I mentioned at the end was something I was curious that's all. My main purpose on my new PC is to help with HD game video editing (my side-hobby), HD game streaming and gaming (as well as stuff for work).

SSD is not bought for video editing but rather a learning experience in using SSD plus for software/gaming loading.

As for response to #4 , what happens if you go over the 20-40GB a day?
    Note I know that won't happen since I am ONLY using it to load Win7 and any software I am going to use (Vegas, Virtual Dub, Games) and I know there is no way in hell it would even reach that limit or even close to 1gig (unless there's a patch or installing new stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Shannara View Post
    You didn't list your new computer's RAM, be sure to get a minimum of 16GB of RAM. I use my new (as of 10/2011) computer for both video editing (premier), and 3d modeling (3dsmax, etc). Ram makes a HUGE difference.

I use SSD for my main drive, and a separate SSD for games and apps installation, plus a regular HD for temp files, and storage.

The key is to have your primary SSD only for the core OS and nothing else. Have another one for installed products, and use a regular hard drive for storage and temporary files mappings, etc.
    I was thinking 8gig, I think 16gig maybe overkill since video editing is just a side-hobby, nothing professional.

I don't think having two SSD would be good now in terms of learning and using it myself. Having one SSD to have Win7 + Software installed should be good enough right?

Of course for my storage and temporary files will be on a SATA Mirror Raid Hard Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    however I do agree with having an SSD drive as main os drive.

if you ask me those sata II ssd drives are getting outdated. Revo drives is where its at these days.
    Well the one I linked is SATA III, not sure if that's any different or better.

Well, thanks for all your inputs so far, if you can explain in more about my original questions from my first post it'll be great!

Also, I did a little more research at work today and have a few new questions too:

06) How or when does TRIM activate?
    Since SSD is brand new (well old since it was out years ago), I can't get any concrete information on this.

- Some say TRIM only works when you turn OFF your PC, that's when TRIM will run.
    - Others say its automatic when you delete a file (Win7 will let the SSD know that it is safe data to delete).
    - Others also say you need to run a software from Win7 or something to use TRIM (like defragging in a sense).

07) How is the reliability and life span of the SSD?
    Most concrete information says its about 3 years or so... but since I'm leaving it on 24/7 I don't know if it'll hurt the lifespan.

Is there any like "POST" like type that will notify if the SSD is failing (like how POST or other similar software works for dying hard drives)?

It would suck to have all your information gone since a dead SSD can't recover any data... but then again, it is only used for OS and software.. so that can be easily recovered by installing (since all the important data is in the storage hard drive).