12 hours downtime for only 15 days compensation?

balticservers.net has been down due to ddos and some other network issues as they were upgrading without any prior notification to any customers at all, it affected all custoemrs. They are now known for not even informing customers what has happening nor informing if theres any network maintence.
    But as the company offer sla servie they do give you compensation days for any interruption service. But they only give me 15 days free, but does that really justify the long 12 hours downtime at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Maikon View Post
    balticservers.net has been down due to ddos and some other network issues as they were upgrading without any prior notification to any customers at all, it affected all custoemrs. They are now known for not even informing customers what has happening nor informing if theres any network maintence.
    But as the company offer sla servie they do give you compensation days for any interruption service. But they only give me 15 days free, but does that really justify the long 12 hours downtime at all?
    If that is what was agreed in the SLA, then yes it's justified.
    As you can see, SLAs in its current state in the industry is pretty useless - the 'losses' is almost always never comparable to a few free days.

yes, however i feel the 15 days are not enough to give a proper sla service
    heres from their own tos. I hardly call 12 hours downtime a minor one.

From their tos
    If Balticserver fails to meet its 99.5% uptime guarantee, and it is not due to one of the exceptions below, credits will be made available to client, upon request, on a case by case basis. Balticservers does not credit a full month's service for minor downtime.

Ask them how they define "Minor downtime" For me a minor downtime is no more then 15-30 minutes.

Well it's better than nothing really
    What would you expect getting? Also what are you paying, what SLA's did you agree on with them. It's always good to know.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

i expect for one month compensation, i think it should be rightly so as the downtime was due to mostly ddos and their own network maintence

this is their entire sla service

8. Uptime Guarantee
    Balticservers strives to maintain a 99.5% network and server uptime service level. This uptime percentage is a monthly figure, and is calculated solely by Balticservers monitoring systems authorized/contracted outside monitoring services. If Balticserver fails to meet its 99.5% uptime guarantee, and it is not due to one of the exceptions below, credits will be made available to client, upon request, on a case by case basis. Balticservers does not credit a full month's service for minor downtime. This would not be financially healthy for Balticservers, and in turn would only negatively affect the service level Balticservers provides to you. "Partial refunds for partial downtime" is our standard policy. In extreme circumstances, Balticservers may distribute full month credits, but this is dealt with on a case by case basis. Credits are issued for one month’s service only, never more.

DDoS may be considered something they don't even cover in their SLA as it could be considered force majeure.
    Their SLA is their prerogative, they are not obliged to offer you an SLA. That they do have an SLA and are honoring it, is more of a good sign then a bad one.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Most SLAs would not give you anything close to 15 days for that.

Hello,
    We had discussion with our CEO. We will give 30 days free for this, because Maikon is long term customer with good reputation ( no complaints against him ).
    Problems coused due DDos. All data centers are suffering from the same problems here, not only our data center...
    Affordable custom Single/DUAL - Intel/AMD CPU servers EU | Configure
    Linux, Windows VPS in LT/UK/NL/USA | Get one now

15 days of free service for 12 hours of downtime and you're not happy ? wow. most providers out there will give you a free amount of time equal to the downtime period and that's it.
    We live in a twilight world

Your asking for 1 month credit over a 12 hour downtime like really? *laughs and walks away*
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,

15Days credit for 12Hours of downtime, some hosts would only give you 12Hours credit...

If you feel they have not honoured the terms of their SLA, contact them, WHT can't really help you with that.

And if you don't like the terms they have set out, then you shouldn't have signed up with them, just a bit of due diligence really...
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

because some companies actually gives me 1 month credit, like bahnof and teliasonera when i colocated my servers with them. Their sla service was generously given 3 weeks for 8 hours downtime. Teliasonera gave me one month off because one of their router died (although im part time employee with them). which caused me 6 hours downtime.
    This is the sla service ive received and if sla service is that different to any other countries hosting companys sla then im sure i would not go to those companies at all.
    If some host only can give 12 hours credit it will only show that much of their own confidence towards their network and the quality of their it infrastructure

Anyway thanking andrius for giving 30 days off for this despite the original compensation was 15 days even if they felt it wasnt necessary for it.
    Last edited by Maikon; 05-02-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    Hello,
    We had discussion with our CEO. We will give 30 days free for this, because Maikon is long term customer with good reputation ( no complaints against him ).
    Problems coused due DDos. All data centers are suffering from the same problems here, not only our data center...
    I would say that is a fair deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikon View Post
    because some companies actually gives me 1 month credit, like bahnof and teliasonera when i colocated my servers with them. Their sla service was generously given 3 weeks for 8 hours downtime. Teliasonera gave me one month off because one of their router died (although im part time employee with them). which caused me 6 hours downtime.
    This is the sla service ive received and if sla service is that different to any other countries hosting companys sla then im sure i would not go to those companies at all.

Anyway thanking andrius for giving 30 days off for this despite the original compensation was 15 days even if they felt it wasnt necessary for it.
    Telia's SLA does not provide a free month for 6 hours of downtime. We use them as a primary carrier and I've read the SLA.

It sounds like they just wanted to do you a favor, but that's not a SLA.

actually thats the sla for the swedish customers. (im swedish)

I could say that BalticServer SLA is better than market standard. Of course if we talk about high budget market there SLA might be better for consumer. But for low and middle budget market their SLA look is reasonable...
    TK Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR