Time and skills involved with unmanaged VPS

Hi, just curious what I would be getting into. Could I expect if I am only hosting my own websites for the first year that I could run a unmanaged VPS? I have basic knowledge of Linux, Apache and mySQL. I was thinking of setting up a home environment, but the price for entry level VPS is extremely low. Could I pull this off using tutorials? How much time do you think I would need to spend on a weekly basis to keep things running without too many issues? What would be my biggest challenges?

Thanks! Jxff

If your requirements wont be changing, then it should be pretty simple and hassle free once you have everything setup.

Just choose a decent stable VPS provider and keep your system updated now and then. If you dont need the absolute latest software versions, use your distributions own packages and update with a single command

Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    choose a decent stable VPS provider and keep your system updated now and then. If you dont need the absolute latest software versions, use your distributions own packages and update with a single command
    Thanks for the lightning quick reply! Any suggestions on distros and providers?

Jxff

linode.com is a safe bet and they have UK + several US locations. I've got 1 VPS with them for some offsite monitoring and its been faultless.

As for distro I like CentOS, there are plenty of tutorials on www.howtoforge.com on how to setup LAMP , mailserver etc from scratch.

The owner of that site also develops a basic control panel called ISPconfig. Might not want to bother with a control panel, but could be worth a look.

Every day, you can experience different error... if you are not familiar with any software you mentioned, it can days for you to fix it or even months...

If your sites are not critical, then you can play otherwise do not put this into business until you are ready.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I really appreciate the info. I currently have a reseller plan in the UK, and several hosting plans in the US and eventually want to have VPS in both countries. I will be checking out your signature links

Quote Originally Posted by Jxff View Post
    I was thinking of setting up a home environment, but the price for entry level VPS is extremely low.
    I set up a VM at home to learn, and it's a essential learning and testing tool, I highly recommend you set a VM or a put Linux on an old machine at home before getting an unmanaged VPS.

With tutorials something always doesn't work as you'd expect / goes wrong. You have to know what your doing, and unless you want to get hacked, you can't just set your stuff up and walk away.

It's easy for those of us who've already learned it, but it can get complicated quickly. If you're willing to commit to learning it, that's great, take your time, but if you want to just set and forget, it doesn't work like that, and the people who think it does are asking for trouble.

again, thanks to all your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    The owner of that site also develops a basic control panel called ISPconfig. Might not want to bother with a control panel, but could be worth a look.
    My niche is providing hosting solutions for those that want everything handled, so scripts to setup the accounts and features that most clients need is the primary reason I want a VPS, for root access and to speed up the process of adding new clients. I have found I like using cPanel in a reseller plan much more than the environment you get with different shared hosting plans, but I want to something I can have a form/script to input the client's data and the basic account features would be setup with as much automation as possible.

Jxff

An unmanaged VPS should suffice for your requirements.

If you're looking for an unmanaged VPS provider, I would suggest Semoweb.com

They have some pretty good reviews and the guys working there do a great job!

You don't want to learn on a production box. If you aren't confident you can manage a linux server in the command line on your own, and you're hosting clients on it, go managed. If you need cpannel for yourself (not for clients), you need management.

If you have to ask, go managed. You should know what's involved with maintaining a Linux server before you decide to do it, if the stuff on it matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    If you have to ask, go managed.
    I said the exact same sentence in another thread the other day. It does sum it up nicely.

@OP, why not just get a managed VPS instead? It's like having a backup plan then i.e if you have an unmanaged VPS and can't figure something out... you'll be stuck. Where as if you have a managed VPS and can't figure something out, you can just ask your provider for help! No one knows how to fix every issue. The more people there is to help the quicker/easier it is to get things fixed.

That's why I recommend using a managed VPS as help is always there should you need it then. You can have a business site on a managed VPS and not have to worry if you mess anything up as the provider can fix it for you.

Just because you have a managed VPS it doesn't mean you have to rely on their support. It's good to have the extra support should you get stuck though. It saves having to pay admin time fee's, etc. And it's not like managed VPSs cost that much extra anyway. Well worth getting a managed VPS, IMO.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

I'd also take into consideration exactly what sort of content you are hosting and how likely others would be offended by it.

If you're hosting something controversial, it would be far more likely that people would screw with you in ways you weren't prepared for.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I said the exact same sentence in another thread the other day. It does sum it up nicely.
    That should be a bumper sticker . It sums up the answer to the question so well we need a bot to post it on every "managed or unmanaged?" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    I'd also take into consideration exactly what sort of content you are hosting and how likely others would be offended by it.

If you're hosting something controversial, it would be far more likely that people would screw with you in ways you weren't prepared for.
    Including possibly your host.

Sounds like it might be a home setup... I have been working on a couple of Unbuntu boxes for a few months (my Slackware days date back to '96) and as I expected there is probably much more to learn, especially the command line. I learn best with a good reference... anyone have any favorites for the command line?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-GV View Post
    If you're looking for an unmanaged VPS provider, I would suggest Semoweb.com

They have some pretty good reviews and the guys working there do a great job!
    I have a new semoweb reseller account in the UK and so far have been very happy.

Thanks again to everyone for their insights and I look forward to being on the answer side of this common inquiry, Jxff

Is your goal to learn linux or to host?

If mostly to learn, one alternative is to setup a home VM using VMware player or Virtualbox, both of which are free. You could run as many VMs as you have memory to host.

The only reason to get a VPS is if you want the bandwidth/public IPs to host something. But of course, considering you can get small ones for less than a dollar a month these days, perhaps there's no reason not to :-)

linode is excellent for newcomers due to their big community - you really can't go wrong with them.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

I have a new semoweb reseller account in the UK and so far have been very happy.
    Its great to hear things are going well.

Thanks for the opportunity.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I learn best with a good reference... anyone have any favorites for the command line?
    One of my favorite Linux books is "Linux in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly. I think some of the older versions are free online.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    Is your goal to learn linux or to host?
    I am looking to make the next step from reseller account to VPS. I want to use the VPS to have more control. My clients (usually) never touch the cPanel or login to their shared web access. After setting up a Unbuntu box a few months ago I was impressed by how much easier it was to configure and use compared to using linux back in the '90's. I have been in IT since '96, but mostly proprietary technologies. The goal would be to get up to speed with a distro and then move my clients over. I was thinking it would be better to use a VPS account for several reasons; I don't have to worry about home network security, it is very cheap these days and I will be looking for someone this fall to help me develop forms and write scripts and I thought by having a VPS I could get that done expeditiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    One of my favorite Linux books is "Linux in a Nutshell" by O'Reilly. I think some of the older versions are free online.
    I have that book, bought it used years ago I was checking out titles on the command line and was thinking about getting one.

Jxff

If anyone cares I got a VPS today and didn't know if it would be appreciated if I posted how it was coming along. I went with semoweb. I couldn't turn down the opportunity to make the next step for $30 a year.

Thanks! Jxff