Sugesst me to Choose my Host

Hi,
    I'm running some article directories, forums and social bookmarking sites.
    But my current host provider suspended my account and I'm loosing my money in the meantime.
    The reason they told me that
    your scripts were using the CPU 100% which was halting the server for unlimited time, because of which your domains and all other clients domains were not coming up
    I didn't understand the reason but also thinking to change my host.
    Can you frnds please suggest me to choose the best host who can manage my all the things with no any problem?
    If you have any information regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like you are on a shared hosting plan and something you were doing was taking up too much server resources.

There are quite a few good VPS hosts you should take a look at the reviews or come up with a budget and we might be able to give you some suggestions.

Some database driven scripts, those using MySql or other databases, become processor intensive when a lot of users are on line at once. So even if your disk space and bandwidth is under your host's limits, because you are "hogging" the processor, they kick you off. When you are using 100% of the CPU, none of the other sites can respond to browsers, run their scripts, etc.

Do you know how many concurrent users you have for your forums? Concurrent users are those on-line at the same time. There's no really hard and fast rule, because it all depends on the server you are on and your neighbors on that server. But typically when you get over 40 people logged in at the same time, you could run into this issue on most shared services.

If you are under that threshold, you may just need a host with a less crowded server.

If you are much busier than that, with 50, 60, 70 users on-line at the same time, you will probably have to move up to a semi-dedicated, VPS or dedicated server. Let us know what your numbers are for the sites, and we can make some general recommendations. (Also, an idea of what you are willing to spend per month).

You will need a very good support as your site depends on them first of all, here personally, I refuse to choose a web host that I can not get on the phone in an emergency, in fact these kind of hosts are sneaky. The reliability and stability comes first in my opinion. keep in mind when opt a host company.

I personally do not understand hosts that suspend accounts without notice. I see more people chose another host because of this issue than any other. I value my clients and keep personal (as in email as opposed to newsletters) contact with most of them on a regular basis. If there are issues that are going to affect their up time and they do not answer emails... silly me... I pick up the phone and call them. If someone is using to many (shared) server resources wouldn't you at least give them the opportunity to upgrade?
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    I personally do not understand hosts that suspend accounts without notice. I see more people chose another host because of this issue than any other. I value my clients and keep personal (as in email as opposed to newsletters) contact with most of them on a regular basis. If there are issues that are going to affect their up time and they do not answer emails... silly me... I pick up the phone and call them. If someone is using to many (shared) server resources wouldn't you at least give them the opportunity to upgrade?
    Agree'd 100%

Did they contact you before you were suspended? or did you just randomly find out? either way, if business is thriving, at least offer them a chance to go VPS or Dedicated before shutting down services.

Which hosting company was it that terminated your service?

While in theory I agree with you, it is not always possible.

I would prefer to contact the client first and come up with a solution, unfortunately it is not always possible to leave the account running while you contact the client. If his site is using 100% of the CPU (as stated in the OP's post), then the other clients would have been drastically affected, and the host would have had no choice but to suspend the account, then contact the client.

Personally, I would have handled it differently if I had to suspend the account. I would have contacted the client regarding the suspension, and worked with him/her to try to find and fix the problem, or suggest a alternative solution.

To the OP:

You need to find out what was causing the high CPU load (assuming that is correct), and fix it, or upgrade to a vps. You are likely to have the same problems again with another host until you do. This is of course assuming the hosts response was honest.

Quote Originally Posted by HostOrca View Post
    While in theory I agree with you, it is not always possible.

I would prefer to contact the client first and come up with a solution, unfortunately it is not always possible to leave the account running while you contact the client. If his site is using 100% of the CPU (as stated in the OP's post), then the other clients would have been drastically affected, and the host would have had no choice but to suspend the account, then contact the client.

Personally, I would have handled it differently if I had to suspend the account. I would have contacted the client regarding the suspension, and worked with him/her to try to find and fix the problem, or suggest a alternative solution.

To the OP:

You need to find out what was causing the high CPU load (assuming that is correct), and fix it, or upgrade to a vps. You are likely to have the same problems again with another host until you do. This is of course assuming the hosts response was honest.
    I agree,
    We do the best we can and that's all you can do, and I'm sure there are times when if ones persons site for what ever reason crashes the whole server then you must do what is necessary.
    Would you not contact the offending client Before they feel the need to contact you?
    IwebNews.net

Would you not contact the offending client Before they feel the need to contact you?
    Yes I would!

If I had to suspend a clients site, I would have contacted them straight after suspending the site, and try to help resolve the issue so that we can get the site/account unsuspended.

Suspending an account is always (in my view), a last resort. Wherever possible, I would contact the client first, and try to solve the problem before it got to the stage that I needed to suspend them.

Got it, thank for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by HostOrca View Post
    Yes I would!

If I had to suspend a clients site, I would have contacted them straight after suspending the site, and try to help resolve the issue so that we can get the site/account unsuspended.

Suspending an account is always (in my view), a last resort. Wherever possible, I would contact the client first, and try to solve the problem before it got to the stage that I needed to suspend them.
    Yes,
    exactly! It seems that a lot of people get suspended without notice and are unable to find out why. This is one reason why I rarely do business with a company that has no phone number on their site or I cannot get a response from before I disburse a payment.
    IwebNews.net

From what he described it seems he's running a busy website (article directory) under a shared environment. I think a VPS server is needed and probably it's going to use a dedicated server finally.

Quote Originally Posted by kmonchamp View Post
    Sounds like you are on a shared hosting plan and something you were doing was taking up too much server resources.

There are quite a few good VPS hosts you should take a look at the reviews or come up with a budget and we might be able to give you some suggestions.
    yes Im running these sites under shared hosting plan.
    will VPS hosts fix my problem as I may have many more sites in the future?
    regarding the budget, I can spend $20-40 per month.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by predator007 View Post
    yes Im running these sites under shared hosting plan.
    will VPS hosts fix my problem as I may have many more sites in the future?

thanks
    That should be sufficient to get a VPS with a quality host.
    IwebNews.net

EZPZ hosting company and ********** is best for you about if you buy vps hosting because these company price is reliable and its services is too good.

The suggestion still remains you move to a VPs...thats the best option from all possible angle.

Repair and optimize all your databases and install plugins like W3 Total Cache for WordPress. If your scripts are still causing high load you'll either need to get a developer to optimize the code in your files or upgrade service e.g. upgrade from Shared -> Semi-Dedicated or VPS.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

You need to choose a good web host so check the company profile and other sites hosted on their server. Find the clients testimonials and other details.

The same thing happened to me and I had to change host in a hurry, Currently I am on godaddy but soon I ll shift to Hostgator

A small VPS is unlikely to be a real solution, if CPU usage really is that severe (no matter the cause). The "fix it" part still stands, if there's something odd/script bug.

I assume you're not a server admin, in which case the only safe way is to go for a fully managed VPS. $40 barely affords you that. It'll likely be a small VPS, and given the memory that the VPS uses just to function (200MB or so), relatively little will be left for actually running your sites.

If the sites are popular, monetize them better to afford the hosting they need. If the scripts are the main problem, correct it.

At all times, have a recent backup of all your data (including databases) on your computer or hosted remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by predator007 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm running some article directories, forums and social bookmarking sites.
    But my current host provider suspended my account and I'm loosing my money in the meantime.
    The reason they told me that
    I didn't understand the reason but also thinking to change my host.
    Can you frnds please suggest me to choose the best host who can manage my all the things with no any problem?
    If you have any information regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Sounds like you're running a resource-intensive website on shared environment. Perhaps a Virtual Private Server (VPS) would be a sensible choice. I personally recommend HostDime. They are exceptionally good.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

A small VPS is unlikely to be a real solution, if CPU usage really is that severe (no matter the cause). The "fix it" part still stands, if there's something odd/script bug.
    I agree that a small vps will is unlikely to be suitable. But then, I didn't specify what spec vps. Without knowing how much CPU he was actually using, it is difficult to advise what spec vps he would need.