Any managed DNS resolver provider?

Hi,

I'm running a business where my clients will have to use my DNS resolvers to resolve domain names on the Internet.

I thought about having in-house servers but would prefer to have an outsource solution if it's available.

There are lots of managed DNS service for web hosting but I haven't seen one that provides Resolver service. For example, UltraDNS charges $10000 for their managed resolver service.

Any recommendation?

Google Public DNS Resolver

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Quote Originally Posted by agtech View Post
    Google Public DNS Resolver

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
    Thanks but I need to have access to and permission to edit the zone record.

A notably well-know service is from OpenDNS - http://www.opendns.com/ - it also provides you with a control panel to manage some of the DNS resolution (if you wish).
    Intellitech I.T. Solutions Ltd.
    Intellitech Hosting - Dedicated Servers worldwide - including USA, London (UK), EU, Asia & Australia
    Server Load Balancing, Hardware Firewalls, MPLS Connectivity

Quote Originally Posted by intellitech View Post
    A notably well-know service is from OpenDNS - http://www.opendns.com/ - it also provides you with a control panel to manage some of the DNS resolution (if you wish).
    Thanks.

I just checked out OpenDNS. I'd probably need their enterprise solution but the price is really high (~$2,000).

I can host two servers at $500. Is there any other solutions?
    Last edited by nickia; 04-28-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickia View Post
    Thanks but I need to have access to and permission to edit the zone record.
    You need to fiddle with zone records for zones not in your direct control? Some kind of intranet thing, or something?

I don't know what your network setup is like, but if all you need is domain resolution, running two or more local tinydns caches is likely to be your all-around best option, in terms of speed and performance. $500 is way overkill, unless you're looking at hundreds of queries per second.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg View Post
    You need to fiddle with zone records for zones not in your direct control? Some kind of intranet thing, or something?

I don't know what your network setup is like, but if all you need is domain resolution, running two or more local tinydns caches is likely to be your all-around best option, in terms of speed and performance. $500 is way overkill, unless you're looking at hundreds of queries per second.
    I will have around 3000 users that will use my resolvers for their daily internet domain resolving.

What kind of spec do I need for each server?

Quote Originally Posted by nickia View Post
    I will have around 3000 users that will use my resolvers for their daily internet domain resolving.

What kind of spec do I need for each server?
    You want multiple machines for fault tolerance (lookup failures are... really bad), but you need pretty ridiculously minimal specs. Like, Atom 330s with 1GB RAM are going to be overkill. You're not going to benefit from RAID or particularly fast disks or quadruple cores; pick a couple somethings that are small/cheap/energy efficient.

Our main internal resolver handles 20-40 queries per second, depending on time of day, on an ancient OpenVZ VM with a 300MHz CPU allocation and 128MB RAM, to give you one reference point - and that's probably 90% DNSBL and other e-mail related lookups that don't benefit significantly from cacheing. A couple years ago, a 633MHz PIII was doing maybe two-thirds that without any noticeable load...
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!

Thanks.

I'm looking to get two VPS packages; one from WireTree and one from SerInt.

Intel Dual Xeon (8 CPUs)
    512MB Guaranteed SLM RAM
    40GB RAID-10 Disk Space
    1000GB Bandwidth
    4 Dedicated IPs
    cPanel / WHM (VPS Optimized)
    Virtuozzo 4 with Power Panel
    Fantastico, RVSkin, WHMCS Available

Sounds reasonable?

That should work great, but you should have no need of Cpanel, so paying for it is probably an unnecessary expense.