Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarvnet-hosting View Post
    This is definitely true. Some hosts can get away with selling additional IPs for only 1 buck a month, where others are charging in upwards of 5 dollars a month or not offering them at all.
    That is correct.

For many, it will be a game changer over the next 18 months. On a side note, we should probably open up a reseller program with the IP access we have.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

On a side note, we should probably open up a reseller program with the IP access we have.
    You already sold some... so you did that already.

OT: We have no IP problems, our allocations are very big and our Backbone ISP has some of the biggest allocations in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    You already sold some... so you did that already.
    No idea what you are talking about, as we do not have an open reseller program available to the general public for servers, and VPS (i.e. people to resell our services).

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    OT: We have no IP problems, our allocations are very big and our Backbone ISP has some of the biggest allocations in Europe.
    Always good to know fine sire.

This seems to be a terribly short sighted discussion. I would think that a group so dependent on IP technology could discuss this question much more intelligently.

The truth is that IPv4 has not been "working" for quite some time and large amounts of resources have been expended in developing ways to "work around" the limitations.

There are many benefits to adoption of IPv6 and several reasons why it is required to advance what we know as the Internet.

More typing is counterproductive here since simply putting the term "ipv6 benefits" into any search engine will provide plenty of reading. For those that cannot get that simple step, start with this link: http://www.ipv6now.com.au/primers/benefits.php

Quote Originally Posted by srfreeman View Post
    This seems to be a terribly short sighted discussion. I would think that a group so dependent on IP technology could discuss this question much more intelligently.

The truth is that IPv4 has not been "working" for quite some time and large amounts of resources have been expended in developing ways to "work around" the limitations.

There are many benefits to adoption of IPv6 and several reasons why it is required to advance what we know as the Internet.

More typing is counterproductive here since simply putting the term "ipv6 benefits" into any search engine will provide plenty of reading. For those that cannot get that simple step, start with this link: http://www.ipv6now.com.au/primers/benefits.php
    Everything comes at a cost. It's not that we don't recognize that we need to make the switch to ipv6, more than the fact that we recognize that there was misuse of ipv4 space that caused this to occur early, as well as the fact that there's a cost associated with making such a migration across the board.
    Ryan G.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    we recognize that there was misuse of ipv4 space that caused this to occur early
    There are enormous carrier blocks out there still. Most wasted or unused. I have had success in finding a number of them. You also have a lot of companies who are not using their blocks at all (actually they use the upstreams) and you have many defunct companies with /16's and whatever.

The point being, in the early days huge blocks were assigned to anyone who asked. It amounted to great waste. With the advent of all this new technology needing dedicated IP's it's been a game changer. Much like Micro$oft's buy out of Nortel space.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Everything comes at a cost. It's not that we don't recognize that we need to make the switch to ipv6, more than the fact that we recognize that there was misuse of ipv4 space that caused this to occur early, as well as the fact that there's a cost associated with making such a migration across the board.
    Yep, it could be said that anyone continuing to use or expanding the use of IPv4 is guilty of misusing the space.

How can you consider this is early, IPv6 has been around for years?

Everything does come at a cost. Continuing to support IPv4 is very costly. Is this just another case of; "There is never enough money to do it right but there is always enough money to do it over."

Yep, it could be said that anyone continuing to use or expanding the use of IPv4 is guilty of misusing the space.
    Considering it is not U.S. government mandated for THEM (U.S. Government and all departments) to be IPv6 compliant until the end of next year. I guess most of the ISP's and other countries are 100% in line with adoption of it.

/2cts

Just think of it as a new ipv4, no advantage except being ready for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CheetahHostdotNet View Post
    Just think of it as a new ipv4, no advantage except being ready for the future.
    Really, then auto-configuration capabilities, the death of NAT, increased scalability and flexibility, interoperability and mobility capabilities, built in IPSEC, etc... are not important to you?

Have you considered the disservice you may be doing to your customers?

Really, then auto-configuration capabilities, the death of NAT, increased scalability and flexibility, interoperability and mobility capabilities, built in IPSEC, etc... are not important to you?

By saying "No advantage" but "being ready for the future" i was hoping people would understand they were tied together and i was pointing at that there were actually many important functions of Ipv6. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Take that up with the U.S. government as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Take that up with the U.S. government as well.
    What does the U.S. Government have to do with a discussion on the merits of IPv6?

What does the U.S. Government have to do with a discussion on the merits of IPv6?
    They have mandated compatibility for the government by the end of 2012.

So if the Feds are giving themselves 18 more months. I think everyone else should be on that same exact time table.

/2cts

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    They have mandated compatibility for the government by the end of 2012.

So if the Feds are giving themselves 18 more months. I think everyone else should be on that same exact time table.

/2cts
    Oh, I did not realize that we looked to the U.S. Government for technology advice too... could be part of the current problem.

How is that hopey - changey thing working for you?

How is that hopey - changey thing working for you?
    Business is booming. No complaints.

%0.01 provide that
    and totally agree with BretW

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    No disadvantages to ipv6... at one point in the future, v6 will become depreciated.. possibly even eliminated at one point.. and v6 will be the 'new v4'
    Its not V6, its V4 which is going to be deprecated. You made a typo my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by clipod View Post
    Its not V6, its V4 which is going to be deprecated. You made a typo my friend.
    I'm pretty sure he's trying to say that eventually v6 will be in the same situation eventually that v4 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrawhip View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's trying to say that eventually v6 will be in the same situation eventually that v4 is.
    Impossible....

Quote Originally Posted by deggimatt View Post
    Impossible....
    I'm not saying I agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12