Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend a VPS for Growing Wordpress site + Forum

Hi folks

I'm looking for recommendations for a growing wordpress site plus a mybb forum.

and maybe in the future I will move other sites over but for now the focus is on the wordpress site and forum

the wordpress site is not huge it does about 3,000 per day
    i have currently about 30 plugins activated (they are all needed :-( but will be reevaluating my plugins going forward)

My aim is of course reliably and speed so what are my options folks

Ive looked at Unixy and i'm waiting for a response back from them

for the most part i'm looking fo rsomething managed so they can focus on setting up the server for use

ideas , recommendations folks ?

Why on earth do you think you need a VPS for 3,000 pageviews a day? That's well within the capabilities of any competent shared host. Unless you have a burning desire to run some nonstandard hosting setup, you'll probably be better served by finding shared hosting with decent support, rather than a (much pricier) managed VPS.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Maybe he likes doing it himself. Sometimes, that's half the fun.

Well, yeah, but if you like doing it yourself, why look for a managed provider?
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg View Post
    Why on earth do you think you need a VPS for 3,000 pageviews a day? That's well within the capabilities of any competent shared host. Unless you have a burning desire to run some nonstandard hosting setup, you'll probably be better served by finding shared hosting with decent support, rather than a (much pricier) managed VPS.
    Probably the ability to grow since he mentioned his wordpress site is growing...

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Why on earth do you think you need a VPS for 3,000 pageviews a day?
    Um... because many shared hosts are garbage shared resources?

It sounds like he's moving to he dedicated/VPS route with his rapidly growing site anyway. So might as well do it now, and save the step and hassle from multiple moves.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Um... because many shared hosts are garbage shared resources?
    Hence my saying "...competent shared host".

It sounds like he's moving to he dedicated/VPS route with his rapidly growing site anyway. So might as well do it now, and save the step and hassle from multiple moves.
    Heaven forbid we encourage moderation or restraint here on WHT. Why do with $8 per month when you can it no better for $45?

I retract my previous recommendation of shared hosting, competent or otherwise, and instead suggest - to the approval of my peersbetters here - that the OP pursue both managed cloud hosting and a first-rate CDN for his three-thousand-pageview-per-day blog.

I agree with Ankheg - any competent shared hosting company will be able to host your account with plenty of breathing room. Are you experiencing issues with your current host and if so, what? And how much are you looking to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger333 View Post
    the wordpress site is not huge it does about 3,000 per day
    We're all assuming that's page views. Or is it unique visitors?

Is there a control panel or exact location you want to be hosted in?

Also what is your budget?

Are you having any problems with shared hosting, or you just want more options, and more control?
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

the reason for making the move or wanting to as its not the only site - I have about 4 others (yeah the traffic is pretty low - but it would be nice to have some breathing room)

If it can be done with shared hosting then so be it - i'm just looking for options here folks

3,000 pageviews by the way (approx 1,200 unique)

I'm really looking for performance with wordpress

firstly I heard that having a cpanel really sucks up memory so causes performance issues

then I started hearing about how its better to run on Litespeed.

so help a guy out here folks - i'm hear looking for expert advice

whilst I'm fine when it comes to WIndows Hosting

Linux as always had me questioning options

I went into the deals forum and i'm completely lost - everyones offering the same thing hehee - (but which is right for a mostly wordpress based site)

shared hosting can give u good performance as well as its just 3 - 4 sites with very little traffic(but depends on the quality of the host)

Are u using forum and wordpress on a same domain ? If not, I don't think there would be any harm in going for 2 shared hosting packages with a good host.

if u really looking at a vps:

Windows vps is costlier compared to Linux because of licensing fee.
    cPanel or Plesk both are quite heavy, personally I would recommend using Direct Admin for vps - its very lite and got everything needed for a regular use. You can always optimize ur vps and scripts for better performance

Remember, when u get a vps - especially un-managed plan u will have the extra burden of keeping your scripts, firewall up-to-date. In a shared hosting or a managed vps plan u can relax up on it as the host will take of that.

Litespeed improves the performance but for the size of your content and traffic u don't need that immediately unless u r running some heavy loaded scripts. You can use nginx or lighthttpd they are free and give better performance than Apache.

You haven't mentioned your budget, if only u can mention ur budget it will help to give you suggestions.

Budget approx $100 per month.

Linux based as php based apps (wordpress, mybb)

they are both on the same domain (forum is a sub domain of main)

I believe some of the scripts I have are pretty heavy - which is why i wanna go with VPS.

and I would prefer managed

(Damn u lastpass!) I didnt know I had 2 accounts - mods can they be merged into the Tiger333 account?

you have a good budget,
    I would suggest you to look at : servint or knownhost - both give the best.

I have been a customer of servint until a few years back ran for over 18 months with out any issues.
    I would suggest u go with their first vps plan and if needed later u may upgrade ur plan. Why to spend un-necessary cash :p

You may even consider knownhost considering the amount of positive feedbacks they have been getting lately.

jyfi, mods can't merge accounts they can only ban or un-ban accounts, only the admins can merge accounts (that's how vB works )

Semi-Dedicated would be a good choice, but with a provider that also offers other services like VPS/Cloud VPS/Dedicated Servers so you can easily upgrade plan/service.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger33 View Post
    Budget approx $100 per month.

Linux based as php based apps (wordpress, mybb)

they are both on the same domain (forum is a sub domain of main)

I believe some of the scripts I have are pretty heavy - which is why i wanna go with VPS.

and I would prefer managed

(Damn u lastpass!) I didnt know I had 2 accounts - mods can they be merged into the Tiger333 account?
    You have the ability to get a good, fully managed VPS for that kind of budget. I've been very happy at MDDHosting.com, and some here have had very good things to say about KnownHost.com (and some others).

For PHP applications using MySql databases, like Wordpress and your forums, RAM is important. I run my sites on a 1 GB RAM VPS and they run fine. But more is better, and I think you would be well served with a 1.5 or 2GB RAM VPS since your budget allows going larger.

The offers are confusing because you'll see prices for a 1.5 GB RAM VPS from $10 a month to $75. The lower end are unmanaged, and can be oversold just like shared hosting. The well known and stable fully managed VPS are at the higher end, but are worth the money if you just want to move your site, and have it run well from day one. The fully managed providers also offer control panels, backup solutions, etc. in the price (these are often expensive add-ons for the unmanaged providers).

The other option is to go with an unmanaged VPS and hire someone to install and configure the software for you, then hire them periodically when you want to update software, etc. There's more risk in doing that, and it often ends up costing more if you need more than one hour of third-party support a month.

Well, yeah, but if you like doing it yourself, why look for a managed provider?
    Maybe he wants someone to fall back on . . . you're missing the point. What I was trying to illustrate is that not everyone shops based on price alone. I wasn't commenting on whether I think this is a good idea or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    But more is better, and I think you would be well served with a 1.5 or 2GB RAM VPS since your budget allows going larger.
    <sarcasm>No, no, I think we've all agreed that the minimum you need to run a small blog and a small forum in 2011 is a quad-core dedicated server and a global CDN. Or possibly a quad-core server, a CDN, and a pony.</sarcasm>

Suffer PTSD from a professional bocci tourney gone horribly wrong, and it's easy to forget why I hate, on days ending in 'y' what WHT has become in recent years. But thanks for helping remind me...

it's easy to forget why I hate, on days ending in 'y' what WHT has become in recent years. But thanks for helping remind me...
    Whatever do you mean fine sire?

/sarcasm
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008

<sarcasm>No, no, I think we've all agreed that the minimum you need to run a small blog and a small forum in 2011 is a quad-core dedicated server and a global CDN. Or possibly a quad-core server, a CDN, and a pony.</sarcasm>

Suffer PTSD from a professional bocci tourney gone horribly wrong, and it's easy to forget why I hate, on days ending in 'y' what WHT has become in recent years. But thanks for helping remind me...

Yes.....WHT has changed a bit over the years for sure!

And to the OP.....just go to KnownHost.....job done!

I'll stand by my recommendation. The OP is looking for a fully managed VPS positioned for growth, has both Wordpress with 30 plug ins and a forum. He expressed interest in having room to grow and has a budget of $100 a month.

You suggest shared hosting from a competent provider. That's fine, but that's not what the OP is asking about. If a guy walks into a Chevy dealer and asks about a Corvette, are you going to tell him he can get from point A to B just as well in a Malibu?

Hope you feel better soon.

You suggest shared hosting from a competent provider. That's fine, but that's not what the OP is asking about.
    Code:
    "If it can be done with shared hosting then so be it - i'm just looking for options here folks"
    If a guy walks into a Chevy dealer and asks about a Corvette, are you going to tell him he can get from point A to B just as well in a Malibu?
    Obviously not, if I work on commission and/or otherwise have a vested interest in, y'know, postwhoring and sig-spammingtrying to steer him towards a Corvette, no.

But if a guy stops me on the bike trail, tells me he's got five grand, and asks if he should get a shiny new $1,000 cyclocross bike to tow a trailer with his daughter three blocks to the park and back once a week, I'm going to tell him to save his money and buy a nice used $200-300 bike instead. Many WHT users would apparently, to judge from this thread, tell him to invest all $3-5K in a custom-made carbon-fiber road bike, because <sarcasm>there's always a chance the park will get further away</sarcasm>.

See where I'm going with that analogy?

If shared hosting is inadequate for a half-dozen very-low-traffic websites, then I'd really love to know what, if anything, people seem to think it is good for?

I'll stand by my recommendation. The OP is looking for a fully managed VPS positioned for growth, has both Wordpress with 30 plug ins and a forum. He expressed interest in having room to grow and has a budget of $100 a month.

You suggest shared hosting from a competent provider. That's fine, but that's not what the OP is asking about. If a guy walks into a Chevy dealer and asks about a Corvette, are you going to tell him he can get from point A to B just as well in a Malibu?

Hope you feel better soon.

How about unixy which i mentioned earlier - are they good?

(checking mdhosting now )

Never used them personally, but I have heard nothing but good things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast