hitachi 3tb drive?

Hitachi apparently has put out a really cost competitive 3tb drive now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145493

5400rpm isn't fantastic of course, and I'd prefer a WD drive, but what can you do? It's only $140 each, for 3tb.

I'm considering using some of these drives for a client, who just needs the most space possible. Thinking of putting 6 of these into a software raid 5. There are very few writes to their system, and reads are streaming video and only about 100 megabit or less, so even these drives in a s/w raid 5 should be able to hold up, I would think.

Anyone have any direct experience with these drives?
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

From the looks of it this is purely a drive geared towards storage. It has only 32MB of cache, 5400RPM. It's not something I would put into anything needing a lot of IO but might be something useful in a backup server (r1Soft/Rsync) or a home media server, or heck even something with 16-24 drives where IO can be spread out over more drives, then the ratio of space/speed will even out a bit more in comparison to a 7200RPM drive.

Your clients intended use should be fine as well since all the focus will be mainly on reads.
    Marc Schulz
    Managing Implementation Engineer
    Steadfast : Managed Cloud & Infrastructure Services

I would be worried about the failure rate of these... Just because they hold 3tb and you will run 6 of these into a raid 5...

Quote Originally Posted by cedivad View Post
    I would be worried about the failure rate of these... Just because they hold 3tb and you will run 6 of these into a raid 5...
    that's certainly crossed my mind, which is why I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with them.

i prefer oracle is always one of the best. as it provides every type of bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by humawebdesign View Post
    i prefer oracle is always one of the best. as it provides every type of bandwidth
    huh?

--- 10 chars

No experience with them here, but just wanted to say "wow"...3TB at that price point. Seems would make for some good cheap backup storage.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

I think we are at the point in drive/price ratio that we need to seriously look at rebuild times. Doesn't seem like they have gotten any better with newer cards and faster drives...

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    that's certainly crossed my mind, which is why I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with them.
    I tried to set up a raid6 + hot spare with 7 disks a few months ago. The result? A complete failure. 4 disks where gone within a few weeks. I don't have the time to worry about changing it regulary and so on, it was an home server. I used seagate green 2 tb hds buyed at about 80€ each. Maybe - and I do hope so - server grade disks that costs 3 times more are more reaible. No experience with that however.

Sorry if this is confused - Im not english and I wrote from my phone as fast as I could
    Last edited by cedivad; 04-16-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enteracloud View Post
    I think we are at the point in drive/price ratio that we need to seriously look at rebuild times. Doesn't seem like they have gotten any better with newer cards and faster drives...
    One of the problems is that drive speed has not increased in the same exponential as the drive size. So rebuild times are always going to be proportional to read/write and array size. SSD technology fixes this but at the cost of a higher per GB to cost.
    Marc Schulz
    Managing Implementation Engineer
    Steadfast : Managed Cloud & Infrastructure Services

actually newegg sells WD20EARS 2TB green 5400rpm 64M buffer for $80 each. so, on per TB basis, it costs ~15% less than 3TB drive.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cedivad View Post
    I tried to set up a raid6 + hot spare with 7 disks a few months ago. The result? A complete failure. 4 disks where gone within a few weeks. I don't have the time to worry about changing it regulary and so on, it was an home server. I used seagate green 2 tb hds buyed at about 80€ each. Maybe - and I do hope so - server grade disks that costs 3 times more are more reaible. No experience with that however.

Sorry if this is confused - Im not english and I wrote from my phone as fast as I could
    The greens have variable rpm so they aren't appropriate even for software raid. Iwould hope these drives would be better for swraid, but for he raid yeah have to use the enterprise drives

i have seen $70 2tb drives on sale a few times making 2tb drive alot cheaper then the 3tb ones.

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    actually newegg sells WD20EARS 2TB green 5400rpm 64M buffer for $80 each. so, on per TB basis, it costs ~15% less than 3TB drive.

Quote Originally Posted by chrono-it View Post
    One of the problems is that drive speed has not increased in the same exponential as the drive size. So rebuild times are always going to be proportional to read/write and array size. SSD technology fixes this but at the cost of a higher per GB to cost.
    That's been a problem since the mid-nineties easily. For the future SSD is going to be what you use for performance and hard drives just for mass storage. Hopefully drives aren't failing so often that the rebuild time is a reason to pick a smaller drive instead of a larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    i have seen $70 2tb drives on sale a few times making 2tb drive alot cheaper then the 3tb ones.
    Depends on perspective. If you have a disk array chassis, you can increase its storage potential by 50% with 3TB drives vs. 2TB. So by virtue of NOT having to buy another array chassis, the 3TB disks are cheaper when you compare the cost to deliver the raw storage capcity.

IMO, the rebuild times on volumes in the 20+ TB range are going to be prohibitively slow, increasing the likelihood of a 2nd disk failure before the array returns to full integrity. (assuming garden variety SATA disks) Also consider the long performance hit during the rebuild.

I recently talked to a guy with a 27 TB array who said it took more than 3 weeks for a full rebuild after it lost a disk.
    Last edited by Sekweta; 04-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    Depends on perspective. If you have a disk array chassis, you can increase its storage potential by 50% with 3TB drives vs. 2TB. So by virtue of NOT having to buy another array chassis, the 3TB disks are cheaper when you compare the cost to deliver the raw storage capcity.
    Exactly. We tend to use the biggest drives available, even if they're a bit more expensive per GB, because the total cost is what's important. After factoring in the rest of the server components, plus the rack space and power, paying a premium for larger drives can actually save money overall.

I recently talked to a guy with a 27 TB array who said it took more than 3 weeks for a full rebuild after it lost a disk.
    It sounds like he may have had other problems. Our 16x2TB RAID6 arrays can rebuild in a day, so anything longer than a few days would seem unusual.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Since these are so huge I assume you won't be able to back them up regularly and it'd be horrible if one of these died during a raid5 rebuild, I'd go with raid6 if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    It sounds like he may have had other problems. Our 16x2TB RAID6 arrays can rebuild in a day, so anything longer than a few days would seem unusual.
    He said it was a busy array serving video content.

I've never lost a disk in an array (..knocks wood very loudly..) but if our monthly integrity checks are an indication of rebuild times, things look grim.

In a 12 disk chassis, we have a RAID 5 array built from 6 x 750GB 7200rpm, as 5 active disks and 1 hot spare. In that array we carved out a 1.5 TB volume, and it takes about 18 hours to run a full integrity verification on it.

What make/model array chassis are you running?

What make/model array chassis are you running
    Supermicro SC847, configured with 2 16-drive RAID6 volumes and a hot spare.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...E1-R1400LP.cfm
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***