Question What host specs do I need for my site?

Hey all, I'm looking for a new server and I'm not sure what I need (nor am I sure what are some reliable hosts to choose between).

My site currently uses less than 100 GB a month in bandwidth and about 2.6 GB of space. We get around 30,000 unique visitors a month to our site.

We are in the process of upgrading our website and the new page will be a Wordpress site (with a few plugins). We plan to use an integrated Vanilla Forums as well. With this new design we are hoping to grow the site so want a host that can grow with us.

With our current host we had been in a reseller account until this fall and experienced many problems. I was told that we needed more RAM so we upgraded to VPS. I have no idea how much RAM we need or whether RAM was truly the cause behind our issues. Nor do I know whether our RAM needs will change with our new site (currently we have a vbulletin forum).

Finally, support is extremely important to us. I know a few things when it comes to tech stuff, but not much. I absolutely need a managed server. Based on the horrible experience at our current host I want 24/7 phone support.

Ideally we are looking for no more than $30-$40 a month.

What do you guys recommend?

Did you tried liquidweb? Check their plans and take decision accordingly.

You said that you are using VPS now and you do not know your memory usage? How is that?
    Don't you have a control panel to see this? Who is your current VPS provider?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Maybe I just don't know where to look in cpanel. Let me see if I can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KPalicz View Post
    Maybe I just don't know where to look in cpanel. Let me see if I can figure it out.
    Try this: http://devnulled.com/content/2007/06...-memory-usage/
    And this: http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/ho...-servers-6361/
    Last edited by Yujin; 04-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Heh, I've never been able to figure out command line. Both due to my own lack of tech skill and the incompetence of my host (we spent weeks going back and forth about command line until I finally gave up).

Hmm, I found something in WebHost Manager... is this it?

Total------Used--------Free
    2097152----694404-----1402748

It doesn't say, but I suppose those are KB, right? The total would translate to 2 GB, though I thought we only had 1 GB. *shrug*

So if this is true (and my math is right) then right now (in what I'm guessing is a non-peak time) we use about 674 MB of memory for the site. So is this too much for your average reseller or shared hosting package? Do we absolutely need VPS?

Right now we run a forum with vbulletin, a blog with wordpress, and most content on the page is static HTML/PHP pages. We are switching to a wordpress CMS with a vanilla forum, will that increase or decrease our memory useage?
    Last edited by KPalicz; 04-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Not sure if the one in WHM is your usage...just try the command line and follow the commands here: http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/ho...-servers-6361/

Can you share your website address?

The site is http://www.youthrights.org, though as I said, it is being completely redesigned (long over due).

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Not sure if the one in WHM is your usage...just try the command line and follow the commands here: http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f15/ho...-servers-6361/

Can you share your website address?
    I really don't even know how to log in via command line.

I had tried months ago but couldn't figure it out. The login information my host gave me didn't work at all. Nothing worked. Now I don't even know what program to use to even do command line. Not trying to be difficult, but this really is beyond me and my horrid server support doesn't help.

Ok well, if your VPS provider is not helping you then I suggest you to leave them now.
    You can get a decent managed VPS provider with your $40 budget.
    Check Future Hosting Platinum VPS at VPS Hosting Offers
    I'm not their client but they are recommended here. Good luck.

I had tried months ago but couldn't figure it out. The login information my host gave me didn't work at all. Nothing worked. Now I don't even know what program to use to even do command line. Not trying to be difficult, but this really is beyond me and my horrid server support doesn't help.
    Have you the root pass of your VPS?

If so, use a SSH client such as Putty to login to it using the root credentials of your VPS.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I think you'll need a fully managed VPS solution. I'm happy with mine from MDDHosting.com, although their prices might be just our of reach. You might check to see if they are running any specials in the offers forum here. Their support is top notch, and the price includes cPanel, daily backups with 28 restore points, etc. But a 2GB VPS is not cheap.

Forums and CMS like Wordpress are database intensive, so it may be your MySQL configuration that is holding you back rather than total memory. If you have someone you can trust in your organization, or among your board of advisors, perhaps they could log in and run a few tests to see what is going on.

A managed VPS is the way to go. Email your current provider and ask him what the specifications of your VPS are. Your budget seems reasonable, however you must figure out what your memory requirement is.

Remember to read the TOS of VPS providers before choosing one.

Search throughout this forum for respectable VPS providers.

You need managed VPS and your budget seems fine, look hostdim packages they are good one. Check offers section for good VPS provider.
    Web Hosting Pakistan. Affordable and Reliable Web Hosting Services by FMEOS.PK
    Professional website designing and web development services.
    Pakistan web Hosting, Domain Registration and Web Designing Services.

Ok, so here is some specs I got from WHM, does that tell me how much memory my site is using or not?

http://www.youthrights.org/images/MemoryUse.jpg