Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adaptec vs MegaRAID

Hello,

I am trying to decide which hardware raid controller to get. I will be using it with 4 drives raid10 for mysql.

Adaptec 5405Z

or

MegaRAID 9260-4i with BBU

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/product...nce/sas-5405z/
    http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/...-4i/index.html

It is interesting that 5405Z uses capacitors to write the cache to flash memory instead of BBU.

Whose CLI (for linux) do you find more convenient to use?

I've never used LSI's CLI, only 3ware, and it's bangin'. Adaptec's is a challenge to use, IMO.. either way, I'd take the Adaptec any day.
    AS395558

We use the Adaptec 5405Z in our Xen servers, and the 5805Z in our storage servers, and they're great cards. I can't comment on the LSI card.

Adaptec's CLI program is called arcconf. It's not the best CLI, but it gets the job done.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

+1 for 3ware, used them for years.

I've got both sitting on my desk right now. I just picked up another LSI MegaRaid because that's what was already running in my server, a Dell R710. I learned the hard way that the BBU was a $179 upgrade: ouch.

Adaptec got my vote. We don't use MegaRAID, so can't comment on it.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Adaptec is recommended. If there is no adaptec, LSI is fine.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I would go with the Adaptec. I also like 3ware as well, but had to buy the BBUs separate as previously mentioned. 3ware has a nice GUI Admin for Linux complete with monitoring, and email alerts. Could not comment on the CLI for Adeptec or LSI.

if you don't mind loading linux driver yourself, may want to consider Adaptec 6405 6G/s SAS-II/SATA-III 512M buffer RAID card plus the optional 4G NAND "zero-maintence" cache module (AFM-600). the combo actually costs much less than 5405Z:
    http://www.provantage.com/scripts/se...=5&Submit.y=13
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

I'm not a huge LSI fan, but I have used them in the past without any major issues. I remember having the LSI megaRAID 3 (IIRC) that would not work with RHEL4.

FYI, you can get a full-on GUI + email alerts on the Adaptec as well. It's a Java app but it doesn't need to run on the server itself. Just use an external Windows/Linux machine with a GUI to manage it. See my article:

http://djlab.com/2009/11/setting-up-...debian-server/

It's written for Ubuntu/Debian but it works much the same (minus the Alien part) for CentOS.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

+1 for 3ware. They are awesome. But if that's not an option, I'd go for the adaptec controller. I have had bad experiences with LSI cards, but that was probably just me.

3ware is awesome, their cli works great. MegaCLI for LSI is a terrible nasty evil bastard, but it does work well if you know the commands.

I've never used an adaptec controller, I can only assume they work good.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

3ware is the best cli!

We are using Adaptec 5805 controller and it excellent card
    I didn't try LSI so I cannot comment on it

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    if you don't mind loading linux driver yourself, may want to consider Adaptec 6405 6G/s SAS-II/SATA-III 512M buffer RAID card plus the optional 4G NAND "zero-maintence" cache module (AFM-600). the combo actually costs much less than 5405Z:
    http://www.provantage.com/scripts/se...=5&Submit.y=13
    Do you mean centos 5.6 doesn't have the driver for 6405?
    and how is the 6405 with AFM-600 compare to 5405z?

I can not find the detail about RoC on 6405.

Why so much cheaper and needs new module? Usually that implies offloading something to the OS (fakeRAID, ect)...tell me this is actually better than a 5405 but costs less??
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

We've used 3ware forever also, almost exclusively with CentOS... we've recently tried the 5405z on a new server running CentOS 5.6 and it works great.

Most importantly for us, it was recognized during the installation, no problem.

We recently ordered two new 6405 cards (and ZMM modules) for two new servers and were getting ready to install SL 6.0 (or CentOS 5.6) and it appears these are not supported out of the box (without manual drivers).

Adaptec pre-sales ensured us (after asking very clearly) that these used the SAME drivers as the 5405z and that they would absolutely be recognized during install without additional drivers. I guess they were wrong? (I'm hoping they weren't and that I'm doing something wrong? But we've installed tons of servers and I can't see what else it could be)

I found this thread AFTER posting my own here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1041285

Hope this helps you?

Quote Originally Posted by david_halliday View Post
    +1 for 3ware, used them for years.
    In our testing, the Adaptecs ran circles around the 3ware cards.

We now use Adaptec 5405Z cards in nearly all of our servers with the exception of a few which have 3405's in them I believe.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

I do agree with Matt R. The 5405z that works for us was much faster than the 3ware cards we used before.

We're just very bummed the 6405 doesn't seem to be supported...

Are you guys comparing the 5405Z to the latest 3ware? IE 9750.

I have not a chance to try out 5405z but the 9750 are fast.. alot better then the old 9650 version.

Whoever said the megaraid cli sucks, I totally agree. I rather get the 3ware version (same hardware) with the 3ware cli instead. Miles better.

Another vote for 3ware, had great success with them in a debian environment for a long time now. Jonas Genannt does a fantastic job running a deb repo for the latest versions of 3DM2, unfortunately I can't post links yet but it's the first google result for "3dm2 debian"

If I will make a choice between 9260 and 5405, I will for sure choose 9260. We build servers for hosting companies and we have too much returns on adaptec. Few weeks ago our customer returned 5405 because it dropped very important array. Week before the same customer sent us a system which was dropping raid after 1 hdd failure in raid10. So it seems that adaptec is very unstable.

Adaptec GUI for Windows works very well and it is very user friendly. You can manage multiple cards from a single point. I would recommend it over the MegaRAID. 3Ware Cli´s is very nice also, however cards seem to be a bit outdated now, specially compared to new generation Adaptec cards.
    Visual-Fusion - Portuguese WebHosting
    :: Domain Register | Web Hosting | Reseller Plans | Cloud VPS | Dedicated Servers | Online Stores
    :: Registo Domínios | Alojamento Web | Revenda Alojamento | Servidores Virtuais | Servidores Dedicados | Lojas Online

+1 for the LSI... I had the Adpatec and they would often destroy the array... drives would disappear and it would start to rebuild...

The LSI never gave me such issues.... We have the rebranded LSI by Intel... the 9260-8i works great...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast