Thread: Copyright help

Copyright help

So i saw the twin babies talking gibberish on YouTube and thought i'd download it and add subtitles to what i thought they were saying. I posted the vid on here and everyone seemed to like it and it had 11500+ views in 11 days. A few days ago the owner of the original video left a message saying keep my video rated G or she? or he would ask that i remove it. So i had already starred out F*** which was the only swear word in the video, there was bitch and ass which i believe to be ok. So i covered up bitch and ass with black annotations just to be safe. Today i get a copyright infringement from the owner. I dont understand this? Why? And am i right in saying the owner would have to go through some process to get their video copyrighted? Or is it automatically yours? I've sent the owner a message i doubt i will get a reply.

In the USA at least, copyright is implied - there is no formal copyright registration required, something is copyrighted at the moment of creation unless the creator explicitly releases copyright.

Look at it this way, what if it was your kids and someone put cusswords all over an otherwise "family" video?

It was one cuss-word already starred out and i covered it up and changed it like they asked.

In the UK as well, production of any sort of material, in whatever medium, implies copyright. You've taken their original material and changed & re-published it without permission

Quote Originally Posted by DanielSON View Post
    It was one cuss-word already starred out and i covered it up and changed it like they asked.
    Right but maybe by "keep it G-rated" they meant, no cuss-words, regardless of the censoring of them?

Though I might swear like a sailor myself, I still understand that some people are offended by such language.