KnownHost & UNIXY

Hi!

I was just wondering about these 2 providers. I'm currently hosted with VPSLatch but after the whole acquisition by HostDime, I'd like to keep my options open. My (limited) experience with them hasn't settled my uneasiness yet.

I am liking UNIXY more but KH gets such good reviews on WHT, I'm not sure now.

Thanks everyone!

yes heared that vpslatch has been acquisition.

I can these both providers are good.

KH are brilliant.....I've no experience with Unixy, but Joe is technically a very clued up guy. They certainly look like a quality provider to me.

You may also want to check out FutureHosting as well....another excellent company.

Thanks guys!

KH seem really good but their prices are just a tad more expensive in comparison with UNIXY (in comparing the plans). But I suppose you get what you pay for.

I like UNIXY but they seem pretty quiet in the forums (in terms of reviews - last time I checked) so I'm not sure

Nothing but great things to say about Unixy. Only been with him a couple of months but he seems to "walk the walk". I know enough to get myself in trouble with my VPS but he knows enough to get me out of trouble. And is willing to work to keep your system running smooth.

been using KH as VPS provider..
    they are great..

im using the varnish plugin from unixy.. been great as well..
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

I heard unixy supports third party scripts so if you need some help on that areas unixy might be your best bet.

Nevertheless both are great hosts.

I guess you can't go wrong with any of both. KH has an excellent record of good reviews here and even if Unixy has not the same amount of good feedback, it will be hard to find a bad review about them. Maybe you just throw a coin?

Quote Originally Posted by agtech View Post
    Nothing but great things to say about Unixy. Only been with him a couple of months but he seems to "walk the walk". I know enough to get myself in trouble with my VPS but he knows enough to get me out of trouble. And is willing to work to keep your system running smooth.
    Thanks! How is support? Is it a one-man show, for I feel like when people talk about UNIXY, it always seems to be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere13 View Post
    Thanks! How is support? Is it a one-man show, for I feel like when people talk about UNIXY, it always seems to be that way.
    I honestly don't know whether it is a one man show or not. I think someone asked about that before and IIRC they addressed that here - do a search and I bet you can find it. I do get the feeling that it is not a large conglomerate and I kind of like that. I have generally found that service and flexibility is much better in the smaller operations when your job and income more directly relates to the services and goods you provide.

I am looking to host a small number of sites for myself and local businesses in kind of a niche market. I have some technical background as a WISP operator. I maintained in house DNS servers and mail servers for several years before we outsourced them. I am certainly not of the skill level that a lot of people here are but am finding that I am ahead of some here based on reading the boards.

I did some research on hosting providers both here and other sites and purchased (NOT free trials and never asked for any money back)from 8 different hosting companies. Some I kept for just a month and some for several months trying to decide on a permanent hosting provider. I didn't have a real negative experience with any of them (at least no "Jerry Springer" type like you read about here) but some just did not "feel right". Some were really inflexible on various aspects of the setup of their service. Some of the technical support answers given to various tickets were just not well thought out and some just plain wrong when it came to some of their answers. I kept weeding out the hosting companies and finally actually ended up with a VPS with both KH and Unixy and I don't think that you would be wrong to pick either of them.

For me Unixy seemed to go above and beyond the call of duty and I liked that. I started out with the smallest VPS with cpanel. It became apparent to me that the resources would not be adequate for what I had planned and so we talked and they made me another VPS with webmin to try to free up some resources. Tried that for a while and couldn't get it to work the way that I wanted and finally decided on going with the highest resource VPS they had and with DirectAdmin on it and it has been working well. They may have been cussing under their breath because of all the changes but never left on in any communications to me. If I had a problem - apache needed recompiled or a script not working the way it should, they were very prompt. If there was something needed done that wasn't time sensitive, they accomplished it in what I thought was a reasonable time. All and all a great experience.

I did some research on hosting providers both here and other sites and purchased (NOT free trials and never asked for any money back)from 8 different hosting companies. Some I kept for just a month and some for several months trying to decide on a permanent hosting provider.

I kept weeding out the hosting companies and finally actually ended up with a VPS with both KH and Unixy and I don't think that you would be wrong to pick either of them.
    Now that would make a review worth reading!

I honestly don't know whether it is a one man show or not. I think someone asked about that before and IIRC they addressed that here - do a search and I bet you can find it. I do get the feeling that it is not a large conglomerate and I kind of like that. I have generally found that service and flexibility is much better in the smaller operations when your job and income more directly relates to the services and goods you provide.

I am looking to host a small number of sites for myself and local businesses in kind of a niche market. I have some technical background as a WISP operator. I maintained in house DNS servers and mail servers for several years before we outsourced them. I am certainly not of the skill level that a lot of people here are but am finding that I am ahead of some here based on reading the boards.

I did some research on hosting providers both here and other sites and purchased (NOT free trials and never asked for any money back)from 8 different hosting companies. Some I kept for just a month and some for several months trying to decide on a permanent hosting provider. I didn't have a real negative experience with any of them (at least no "Jerry Springer" type like you read about here) but some just did not "feel right". Some were really inflexible on various aspects of the setup of their service. Some of the technical support answers given to various tickets were just not well thought out and some just plain wrong when it came to some of their answers. I kept weeding out the hosting companies and finally actually ended up with a VPS with both KH and Unixy and I don't think that you would be wrong to pick either of them.

For me Unixy seemed to go above and beyond the call of duty and I liked that. I started out with the smallest VPS with cpanel. It became apparent to me that the resources would not be adequate for what I had planned and so we talked and they made me another VPS with webmin to try to free up some resources. Tried that for a while and couldn't get it to work the way that I wanted and finally decided on going with the highest resource VPS they had and with DirectAdmin on it and it has been working well. They may have been cussing under their breath because of all the changes but never left on in any communications to me. If I had a problem - apache needed recompiled or a script not working the way it should, they were very prompt. If there was something needed done that wasn't time sensitive, they accomplished it in what I thought was a reasonable time. All and all a great experience.
    Wow, thanks for your detailed review of your experience with them ^^ Sorry to keep asking you questions but how's their uptime and servers? With VPSLatch (not that I am trying to bag them out, I liked their services a lot) there was a lot of slow server speed and high loads.

Wow, thanks for your detailed review of your experience with them ^^ Sorry to keep asking you questions but how's their uptime and servers? With VPSLatch (not that I am trying to bag them out, I liked their services a lot) there was a lot of slow server speed and high loads.
    Not had any problems yet but I do not have the server loaded up with a lot yet. Still in the planning stages on alot of this. Getting infrastructure setup and worked out. I am trialing site uptime monitoring services now. If there are problems, it would surprise me but I will measure it.

Send both hosts some pre-sales questions and concerns. Compare the answers. Pick the one you think will do the best for you.

Keep the questions coming. I've taken away more from this board already than I could ever hope to contribute

Not had any problems yet but I do not have the server loaded up with a lot yet. Still in the planning stages on alot of this. Getting infrastructure setup and worked out. I am trialing site uptime monitoring services now. If there are problems, it would surprise me but I will measure it.

Send both hosts some pre-sales questions and concerns. Compare the answers. Pick the one you think will do the best for you.

Keep the questions coming. I've taken away more from this board already than I could ever hope to contribute
    Thanks!

I feel like I'm stuck in a love triangle - which *host* will she pick? LOL. Ack. I'm lame.

I've been bombarding both hosts with pre-sales questions (they probaby are sick of me) and both seem very good

Have your support tickets been answered promptly?

1 vote for Knownhost mate!!
    I even pay later for a week because of credit card problem. But they still wait for my payment without Banning.
    wanna buying lawn mower batteries and get free benefits of fish oil knownledge

Haven't heard of UNIXY yet, but I have KnownHost hosting a blog for me and they've been more than reasonable with everything. They had a press release lately about hosting their 11,111th VPS, so they must be doing something right.

Thanks!

I feel like I'm stuck in a love triangle - which *host* will she pick? LOL. Ack. I'm lame.

I've been bombarding both hosts with pre-sales questions (they probaby are sick of me) and both seem very good

Have your support tickets been answered promptly?

Haven't had a problem yet. I have been very satisfied with the speed of both initial answering of tickets and to the final resolution. Not so much with the others but no real horror stories. I believe there are a lot if good hosts out there. Do your homework and pick the one that you feel is most suited to your needs. You are not marrying them. If you find you made the wrong choice it's relatively easy to correct. Just make sure to backup. Backup. And do more backups

Agtech

This Thread make me more confuse about Unixy or KnownHost

I have tried both. My first server was with Unixy but i later moved on to Knownhost. It was due to costs.

But there one aspect of Unixy which sets them apart from KH, its the Support. They will go way out of there way to help you, and they also might help you with script errors. KH, does not do that.

Joe (from Unixy) will provide top notch support, he even updates you via his smartphone. Support by Unixy feel a bit personal. KH support is a bit straight forward.

Performance wise, both are good. but KH uses Apache and they do not provide LiteSpeed.
    Price wise KH is cheaper.

If you want to go with either of them, it really comes down to your Budget. If you want to start off small go with KH

Unixy's cheapest VPS starts from : $45.95/mo (+ $14 for cPanel) = $59.95

KnownHosts cheapest VPS starts from : $35/mo (control panel worthy)

What you should do is to go to the Offers section and find offers from both the providers.
    Last edited by Farrukh; 04-04-2011 at 05:42 AM.

I ultimately went with UNIXY because I like the personal touch. I just ordered the Pebi plan and am waiting for my hosting details

They are certainly a little more expensive than KnownHost and I really hope I can stay with them for a long time

Thank you everyone for your input!

I'll let everyone know how it goes ^^

I ultimately went with UNIXY because I like the personal touch. I just ordered the Pebi plan and am waiting for my hosting details

They are certainly a little more expensive than KnownHost and I really hope I can stay with them for a long time

Glad you finally made the choice.

You wont regret going with Unixy. Joe is a standup guy.

Do open a thread after a month or so, and let us know how its going.

I think you made a good choice but keep evaluating it to make sure it is the "right" one for you. If they don't keep up the good work, hold their feet to the fire and let us know also. I kind of get the feeling they hold their own feet to the fire and do their best to provide a good product.

I think you made a good choice but keep evaluating it to make sure it is the "right" one for you. If they don't keep up the good work, hold their feet to the fire and let us know also. I kind of get the feeling they hold their own feet to the fire and do their best to provide a good product.
    Thanks! So far, they've been wonderful and I'm simply amazed at their spirit and passion Let's hope they keep this up!

I think I might post my initial review (I know that they aren't worth much) but they're amazing.