Explaning Issues Beyond Your Control

One of the challenge of any service provider is explaining issues that are beyond their control. Sometimes us customers are hesitant to believe or simply take our providers words.

Some of the classic are the selective browsing, speed issue and SMTP port 25.

Your client will immediately blame your server particularly with SMTP concern. Of course the word server was mentioned in Outlook, so yeah I guess that's the problem.

Selective browsing, you need to have a convincing power and alternative ways of proving them that your server is indeed working. (e.g. proxy sites).

Speed, this one is difficult. I really want to bump my head especially if your client do not understand that ISP is involve to the entire process of browsing their website.

Care to share your challenges and issues that require your convincing power?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

For one, I had a pretty hard time understanding your post. If your clients are English speakers, you may wish to tweak your wording a little.

That aside, create a FAQ. When things are already in a FAQ, people are more willing to accept that these are indeed common issues and not excuses you make up as you go.

* Explain that port 25 is a common issue and that people should resort to port 587 or 465. In fact, why not make that the standard instruction, why even bother with port 25?

* Explain people how to verify that their website works. Either by using your own monitoring system or a 3rd party, but most importantly, make it easy for them to check. Using a proxy site isn't acceptable - it's too complicated.

* Regarding speed, wording is important. You can blame speed issues on their ISP (and get an angry reply) or you can tell them that if speed to that particular ISP is important they may wish to get hosting with that ISP directly. Don't be worried about people leaving. Most will appreciate the honest advise and stick around.

Sorry about the grammar.
    I'm not a native speaker and I seldom do business with foreign clients.
    But thanks for the tip about the FAQ.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Honesty is the best policy even if they don't believe what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by M Bacon View Post
    Honesty is the best policy even if they don't believe what you say.
    I agree

Try to be as explainatory and sincere as possible. Still unfortunately some may choose not to accept it, and there's just nothing you can do about it. You can also try to show links to forums or blogs that explain the same thing. If it is a common issue you are trying to explain, then there must be plenty of links online about it, the more proof you show them to back up your explaination the better.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.