Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Looking for a DC in LA (not quadranet)

I'm looking for a respectable colo in LA that does NOT sell dedicated servers (e.g. won't be competing with our core business).

• SAS70
    • 2 gigabit unmetered blend of their bandwidth, with at least 2 providers (via 2x 1gig drops)
    • full rack
    • 2x 20amp (32 amp usable)
    • 512 IPs (will be justified, most customers are VPS hosts)
    • In business for many years, prefer if they own their building
    • Couple hours competent remote hands per month
    • In excess of 20gigabit capacity already deployed (no small companies)
    • Under $3k

Any suggestions?

Can't be done? Don't respond!
    Last edited by gordonrp; 03-31-2011 at 07:38 PM.

you want 2 gigs of bandwith and 40a of power for 3k ?

you wont find many people selling that cheap unless they have alot of HE or cogent in their blend.

Even if quadranet didn't sell dedicated servers they still don't sell service that cheap.

No one in LA that is going to sell something like this to you owns their building.

All your miscellaneous demands combined with the price make this beyond ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by nonprofit-worker View Post
    All your miscellaneous demands combined with the price make this beyond ridiculous.
    Then why reply? Keep your negative attitude to yourself.

The last colo went with in LA didn't own their building, and for a full rack with 2 gigs unmetered and 2x20A circuits it would have been around the $3700 month mark if my memory serves correctly.

At the time we were happy with both the price and the service as it was quite competitive, and if we'd been willing to lock in on a contract I could see that we'd have gotten that down maybe another $200-$300 depending on how keen both of us were about having us in their DC, and how hard we'd lied to each other about our respective families and starving children to feed.

Not trying to be negative at all, but if you can find everything you're after in LA at those prices then please share
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers
    ★ 28-core Dual E5-2680v4 ★ 10G / 40G Bandwidth ★
    Contact Us: sales [at] ioflood.com ★ Skype: ioflood_michael_b ★

Good feedback, who was it? Can you share? How happy are you? Or did you not get it?

In the L.A. market if you want this on a quality network your dreaming... Not the best market to demand prices you have in other markets. The best pricing I can get in L.A. is with providers that provide dedicated servers.....

I disagree with Chris from quadranet on random issues, but if your looking for colo and want quality in L.A. I'd talk with him. They have some competitive quotes. If I colo'd a server in L.A. I'd talk with him first.

Yes, quadranet seem to have a great setup, no doubt. But I prefer to stick with colo only providers.

Thanks for the input on pricing.

I would be also interested to find out who can make sure offer. Bandwidth(2x1GE) alone would cost more than $3k unless you are going with HE/Cogent.

Why are you worried about a dedicated server company competing with you when your product is mainly VPS?
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Why are you worried about a dedicated server company competing with you when your product is mainly VPS?
    Our product is mainly dedicated servers, we don't sell VPS. But most of our customers are VPS hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Our product is mainly dedicated servers, we don't sell VPS. But most of our customers are VPS hosts.
    Gordon,

As someone who operates in that market and will not meet that pricing I can say you are going to have a very hard time finding anyone who is not a dedicated host that can support that. You'll need to have one of the dedicated hosts provide that service as that will generate the traffic patterns that allow them to oversell the transit to that extent to you. That is why you are not seeing that level of pricing from pure-play colo hosts. It's over-selling pure and simple. Best of luck in the search in the LA market!

Thanks, appreciate your experienced input. Already know the pricing is fine with a few providers that also sell dedi's was just being too hopeful with the non-compete I guess.

Why don't you check out Calpop? I heard they are the lowest in terms of price.
    Dan Buyer
    InfoRelay - Connected, Protected, Perfected.
    Equinix LAX & DC, One Wilshire, Wilshire Annex, MPT, VE, 1275K, Reston Exchange, Reston Equinix, 60 Hudson, NYC, and Chicago
    www.inforelay.com

Good feedback, who was it? Can you share? How happy are you? Or did you not get it?
    Actually it was Quadranet that we were with until we moved to another DC that was more carrier neutral so that we could start bringing in our own direct carrier connections more readily. That being said, if I was still in the market for an LA colo and I wanted blended bandwidth I'd take up service with Quadranet again in a heartbeat.

They were reliable, helpful and met all of our needs at the time, and would even go out of their way on occasion when asked. Chris even helped us out with a box so that I could have a Supermicro server shipped to myself, and that was 6 months after we discontinued service with them

Quote Originally Posted by almecho View Post
    Actually it was Quadranet that we were with until we moved to another DC that was more carrier neutral so that we could start bringing in our own direct carrier connections more readily. That being said, if I was still in the market for an LA colo and I wanted blended bandwidth I'd take up service with Quadranet again in a heartbeat.

They were reliable, helpful and met all of our needs at the time, and would even go out of their way on occasion when asked. Chris even helped us out with a box so that I could have a Supermicro server shipped to myself, and that was 6 months after we discontinued service with them
    hmm, quadranet quoted me $300/mo on a crossconnect to any2ix. i think that is reasonable compared to what equinix and telx charge for crossconnects... and i used to be a customer of equinix (well, indirectly anyway) before they priced me out of their chicago facility. admittedly, i have no idea what DC you looked at, but i would figure any of the players in one wilshire would basically have the same pricing as equinix and telx.

also, rumour has it chris sent you one of the boxes we left when we last upgraded our hardware at quadranet, haha.

I'm looking for a respectable colo in LA that does NOT sell dedicated servers (e.g. won't be competing with our core business).

• SAS70
    • 2 gigabit unmetered blend of their bandwidth, with at least 2 providers (via 2x 1gig drops)
    • full rack
    • 2x 20amp (32 amp usable)
    • 512 IPs (will be justified, most customers are VPS hosts)
    • In business for many years, prefer if they own their building
    • Couple hours competent remote hands per month
    • In excess of 20gigabit capacity already deployed (no small companies)
    • Under $3k

Any suggestions?

Can't be done? Don't respond!

You are really pushing the limits here, and leaving zero margin for the provider.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by nenolod View Post
    also, rumour has it chris sent you one of the boxes we left when we last upgraded our hardware at quadranet, haha.
    LOL. Thanks

A deal like that would most likely not be promoted publicly by any reputable DC and anyone with existing pricing close to that would be under NDA. However, all I can suggest would be to search for places desperate to sell of excess inventory at cost. i.e., built out umpteen megawatts and sq footage in 2009, realized in 2011 the market doesn’t bear use for it. You might get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by nenolod View Post
    we get get multiple server deliveries literally every single day, so who knows where it came from
    but if it was yours, thank you for the donation
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Maybe check HE.net? They are in Fremont, but can match your pricing - They dont provide dedicated servers (directly, at least they only do some %) and are dirt cheap on BW (Power is ok too).

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post
    Maybe check HE.net? They are in Fremont, but can match your pricing - They dont provide dedicated servers (directly, at least they only do some %) and are dirt cheap on BW (Power is ok too).
    HE.net is not even that cheap... at least since the last time I checked prices with them. Besides that, looking over his list of requirements I see at least 2-3 which would disqualify them.

You didn't actually say Calpop. Very poor billing department, outages, etc.

If I may ask why LA?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by whmanaged View Post
    If I may ask why LA?
    Good Asian routes. We have East and Central USA covered, looking for a west coast location now.
    Last edited by gordonrp; 04-03-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast