Smile Dedicated Server for Game Servers?

Hello,

I am looking into selling game servers for games such as Minecraft, Counterstrike, and Team Fortress 2. I have a low budget of $140 per month not including WHMCS or Tcadmin.

I have looked into server4you.com and burst.net and server4you.com seems to be the best price but I have heard a lot of bad reviews about them. Should I go with server4you or is there another company I should purchase from?

Also, starting out should I not even use a dedicated server and maybe go with a VPS?

If you want budget go with burst net or fdc servers. Server4you is not an established provider, and the prices seem a little too good to be true.

First you have to verify where is located the server to get a good ping for a gameserver. In the range of price you are looking for, you will find many providers with a large choice of servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo-Serv View Post
    First you have to verify where is located the server to get a good ping for a gameserver. In the range of price you are looking for, you will find many providers with a large choice of servers.
    Do you have any examples? Also wouldn't I need servers with larger amounts of RAM because of the nature of game servers?

Minecraft uses an enormous amount of memory. If your serious about hosting it, you should be looking for a server with 8GB of memory.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by JonBiloh View Post
    Minecraft uses an enormous amount of memory. If your serious about hosting it, you should be looking for a server with 8GB of memory.
    I second that. I know that's a fact from experience. I don't think 8 GB is enough unless you're not planning to grow much.
    Joseph Le
    Ethelite Hosting
    Affordable Xen VPS | Reliable cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting
    www.ethelitehosting.com

It might be a good thing to know where most of your possible customers are coming from and find a provider with good connectivity to them.
    Low latency and lagfree servers are very important for gaming purposes, so make sure you don't 'save money' on the network
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

So what is your target audience?

Actually, Minecraft only uses about 32 or less megabytes of RAM per player if you know how to optimize the java garbage collector. The only thing you really need is a good CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by armennemwio View Post
    So what is your target audience?
    My target audience is going to start with people I know from various online communities such as Steam.

I know quite a large amount of people looking for servers in Australia but I can't find any budget Australian dedicated servers.
    Last edited by Austen791; 03-30-2011 at 06:08 AM.

You can limit the mem usage to like 512MB though cant you?

Quote Originally Posted by GSpinkz View Post
    You can limit the mem usage to like 512MB though cant you?
    Most Minecraft resellers are going by the amount of RAM sold. 512MB can hold about 16 players

Quote Originally Posted by Austen791 View Post

I have looked into server4you.com and burst.net and server4you.com seems to be the best price but I have heard a lot of bad reviews about them. Should I go with server4you or is there another company I should purchase from?
    Server4you has got some pretty insane policies. I'd recommend seriously considering other options
    CurlHost - Affordable VPS/Dedicated Servers!
    Multiple Locations! We're right beside you!

Better rent a dedicated server. Don't go for VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by GovoNet View Post
    Better rent a dedicated server. Don't go for VPS.
    I think he knows since this thread is in the Dedicated Server section

but if he wants to section out the dedicated and turn it into a few vps for each "game server" than it would be best to avoid openvz it don't play with java well. singlehop was slow as hell and they had network issues when I played minecraft. the lag was really bad like 300-400 some or more ms.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Ninkynonk sorry to hear that your experience at SingleHop was not a good one. We have not had network interruptions for a very long time, so not really sure what it is that you were experiencing. Feel free to PM me and we can look into what might have transpired in your account/equipment, if you are interested.
    Dan Salcedo
    VP Communications
    SingleHop, Inc.
    On Twitter- www.Twitter.com/Thinkbiz

Quote Originally Posted by tepid View Post
    Server4you has got some pretty insane policies. I'd recommend seriously considering other options
    I don't know whats wrong with server4you. Is there anywhere I can see their policies because I don't see anything out of the ordinary on their website besides the low prices.

There extra ip is for 7.5$

Okay yea but, If I'm going to be selling servers using different ports is it that big of a deal?

The big deal with game servers, as a few people have pointed out, is latency. I always recommend logging onto a few ISPs route servers and tracerouting to a potential host to see how good their connectivity is. What you want to see is a low ICMP latency differential between Comcast's network and the hosts' network. You also want to look for a low number of autonymous system traversals - if you have to go out of Comcast, through Level 3, into Cogent, through an IXP, and then into the host, you're going to see some fairly awful gameplay. But if you see the traceroute go from Comcast, into an IXP or a carrier, and then straight onto the host, that's a very promising sign.

Some route servers (connect via telnet):
    Comcast - route-server.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net
    ATT - route-server.ip.att.net
    SBC - route-server.sbcglobal.net

For example, telnetting to Comcast's route server and tracerouting to Google...
    route-server.newyork.ny.ibone>traceroute google.com
    Translating "google.com"...domain server (68.87.64.164) (68.87.66.164)

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Tracing the route to google.com (72.14.204.103)

1 te-1-4-0-6-102-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net (66.208.229.6) 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
    2 pos-1-2-0-0-pe01.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.74) 4 msec 0 msec 0 msec
    3 as15169-3.111eighthave.ny.ibone.comcast.net (75.149.230.194) 8 msec 8 msec 4 msec
    4 209.85.255.68 [AS 15169] 8 msec 4 msec 8 msec
    5 209.85.249.11 [AS 15169] 8 msec 8 msec 8 msec
    6 66.249.94.54 [AS 15169] 8 msec
    66.249.94.46 [AS 15169] 20 msec 12 msec
    7 google.com (72.14.204.103) [AS 15169] 8 msec 8 msec 8 msec
    Notice that you go straight to Google's network (AS 15169) from Comcast's, and the total latency between the end of Comcast's network and the end-host is less than 1 msec. That's pretty awesome. Look for similar results from their route server to a potential game server host.
    Seattle, WA - Gigabit Carrier & Network Services Provider
    Uptime | Atlas Networks