Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Most facilities don't follow the tier specs to letter anymore either.

That does not mean they are not good. For example - the number one issue with most companies is power uptime. I think you can find some companies that have tier 3 on everything except their power has been upgraded to full tier 4 since it is the number one issue for companies in most surveys.

Then you are only paying for the redundancy you are requesting.

You can find several of these out there. You just need to ask and konw what you are asking for.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Most facilities don't follow the tier specs to letter anymore either.

That does not mean they are not good. For example - the number one issue with most companies is power uptime. I think you can find some companies that have tier 3 on everything except their power has been upgraded to full tier 4 since it is the number one issue for companies in most surveys.

Then you are only paying for the redundancy you are requesting.

You can find several of these out there. You just need to ask and konw what you are asking for.
    And you are referring to one of your datacenter which is Tier IV in terms of power reliability Yeah, I already read your website.
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Our FIBERTOWN colocation data center in Central Texas is Tier-IV designed (which means we didn't pay Uptime thousands of $$ to say Tier IV, but we do offer a 100% uptime SLA).

I wrote something on tiers that you may find useful...://blog.fibertown.com/2010/10/15/the-truth-about-data-center-tier-classifications/

Quote Originally Posted by HollystarPR View Post
    Our FIBERTOWN colocation data center in Central Texas is Tier-IV designed (which means we didn't pay Uptime thousands of $$ to say Tier IV, but we do offer a 100% uptime SLA).

I wrote something on tiers that you may find useful...://blog.fibertown.com/2010/10/15/the-truth-about-data-center-tier-classifications/
    Nice plug, but N+1 is certainly NOT Tier IV... http://fibertown.com/data-center/ So you're basically lying? Either you don't have N+1 power OR you're not Tier IV (not even Tier III), yet then get into a discussion to advertise the fact?

This is exactly the type of marketing BS I'm tired of that makes it hard for the customers to actually know, because everyone is telling them something different.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

My apologies Karl, didn't mean to plug...just joining the conversation. Thanks for pointing out the N+1, evaluations have proven us to be 2N. I need to update.

My intention was to say that there are data centers designing to Tier IV standards with regards to colocation, and certainly an uptime SLA means more to businesses than a formal Tier certification. Ask your provider for this.

Out of curiosity, how does one get to 2N on cooling? If you need a 500 ton chiller and 12x30 ton crac units, do you then setup 2 entire of these systems?
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

My apologies Karl, didn't mean to plug...just joining the conversation. Thanks for pointing out the N+1, evaluations have proven us to be 2N. I need to update.

My intention was to say that there are data centers designing to Tier IV standards with regards to colocation, and certainly an uptime SLA means more to businesses than a formal Tier certification. Ask your provider for this.
    But I thought 2(N+1) would be required for Tier IV, as it needs to be concurrently maintainable (2N) AND be able to sustain a failure (+1). Dual corded IT gear on 2N is the requirement for Tier III. I could be wrong on that though, been awhile since I've gone through all the docs. Jeff Hinkle would probably know though.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 03-24-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

As I am not an engineer, I can't speak to the specifics...but I do know that in order to be "concurrently maintainable" a system must be able to be shut down for maintenance without affecting service (and would fit either 2N or N+1).

Quote Originally Posted by lockbull View Post

There are no tier III/IV certified facilities in Germany, and the only one listed in China is Suzhou International Science-Park Data Center Co., P.R. China (Tier IV).
    Maybe no one in Germany did use the Audit - but there certainly are facilitys that have Tier III/IV standards (European Central Bank (FFM), Frankfurt Stock Exchange (FFM), US Military Bases Computing Centers (Ramstein)).

It is also not unlikely for Chinese Datacenters to be not shown on such lists (at least for government owned ones), for security reasons - even the street address of most is highly secret.

As I am not an engineer, I can't speak to the specifics...but I do know that in order to be "concurrently maintainable" a system must be able to be shut down for maintenance without affecting service (and would fit either 2N or N+1).
    How would you do that with N+1? Example: How would you replace the connections between your UPS bank and PDUs while still maintaining uptime if you're only N+1? The UPS itself may be concurrently maintainable, but not the entire power infrastructure and path, and that is what counts, not just individual components.

We are looking at moving into Terremark and i will vouch for them. Its effectively the east coast datacentre for international coms. If this datacentre goes down. The majority of International calling facilities in the USA goes with it.

We will be interconnecting into several of our providers in this datacentre over the next 3 months and its where all the big Tiers 1 also interconnect.

There are also a few here in the UK. But are privately owned or are owned by the likes of IBM.

We are also in the process of moving into Europe's Biggest Tier 3 Datacentre shortly (Next Generation Data). I have been to a fair few datacentres and the facilities at Next Gen are extremely impressive.
    Last edited by CymraegWalesHosting; 03-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

But Terremark has N+2 power redundancy, according to their site, thus they are not Tier IV.

Which data centre are you talking about? I am talking about their Miami facility.

They have datacentres all across North and South America.
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CymraegWalesHosting View Post
    ---snip---
    The majority of International calling facilities in the USA goes with it.

We will be interconnecting into several of our providers in this datacentre over the next 3 months and its where all the big Tiers 1 also interconnect.

----snip----
    Sounds like Interxion in Frankfurt.
    WWW.NAUCUM.NET
    COLOCATION/HOUSING ´´´ IP-TRANSIT ...AND MORE
    tel: +49 1635000676 ´´´´´ eMail: info@naucum.net
    Frankfurt, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Their Phoenix location is the only Tier III, check it here:
    http://www.iodatacenters.com/data-ce...ix-data-center
    To clarify, only their DESIGN was certified, not their building. There are two things you can do to be certified, you can say - I plan on building my datacenter like this, and the DOCUMENT gets certified. Or you can have them actually audit your facility and have the FACILITY certified.

Design documents != the facility

Honestly, I don't know of a single Tier IV colo facility that got certified. I do not know their reasons, but I assume it is the same reason we are not certified so I can explain that and it might shed some light on this.

So while we have a decent amount of hosting customers, a vast majority of our customers are enterprises who bring in their own engineers to go over our as-builts and walk the facility. A tier certification makes no difference to them because they need to do their own audit anyway.

We just do not see the benefit of paying the 100k or whatever it is to get a full facility certification when it is not going to be used by anything but marketing. And we really don't see the point in having them certify a set of papers. Our customers would laugh at us if we said - good news, you do not need to audit us because these documents got certified as T3
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    I believe most public datacenters fall under the Tier I and II category. Are there even any true Tier III's that exist?
    I would bet that is probably true although there are plenty of true Tier III's that exist. From my perspective this is more of the build requirement going forward particullary with new builds above a megawatt in floor loading needs.

I 100% disagree, very few Datacenters are concurrently maintainable. I see plenty that are N+1 but almost none that have things like dual piping systems.

There is a certified, Tier IV Data Center that also offers colo. It's owned/run by AiNET and it's in the Washington, DC area in Beltsville, MD. You can talk to Deepak there, tell him you heard about it on WHT..
    AiNET
    360,000 sq.ft. of data center space, including CyberNAP, in DC Area
    Now featuring cost-saving AiNET MicroMetering for colocation www.ai.net/micrometering
    darrell.tanno at ai.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12