hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Green Hosting : What is green hosting?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

What is green hosting?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Green Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

What is green hosting?

Hi I need to know about Green hosting so please let me know about it with some examples for clarification. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Datacenters consume a lot of energy keeping all those servers on and online. Energy is not only consumed by servers but also in HVAC to keep electronics cool, backup energy sources such as batteries and generators, lighting, etc. That's why many providers are going "Green hosting", meaning that they use methods and technologies to reduce CO2 emissions, such as wind generators, cloud hosting to reduce server idle resources, solar panels, etc. That is green hosting.

Hope it is clear.

Old
WHT Content Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2010 View Post
What is green hosting?
A gimmick.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Some hosting companies claim to power their datacenters using wind. FatCow is an example. Their homepage says "Powered by 100% Wind Energy". They also have graphics of windmills at the bottom of the page. Though, I don't see any mention of the word "green". Even if they're telling the truth, that word seems gimmicky to me.

Old

Thanks for your replies. I have also found related info on wikipedia and sharing here as well for others: Green or Eco-friendly website hosting is a recent addition to the field of website hosting which involves a given website hosting company attempting to prove that they are not having any negative impact on the environment in an attempt to attract consumers.

Last edited by amk2010; 03-24-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Very nice information provided , thanks for sharing it

info@emindsinfotech.com

Old
Web Hosting Master

The two best examples I know of are:

1. a DC in the UK owned by a water & sewage utility, which generates much of it's own power from sewage sludge biomass (methane coming from the sludge used to power turbines to create electricity)

2. Us! All the power on the main Icelandic power grid comes from hydro or geo-thermal sources, so any DC in Iceland has zero carbon emissions from their power sources.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I am wrong, but I believe that all the 'wind-powered' DCs are simply buying so-called green electricity - there are plenty of debates elsewhere regarding the real effectiveness of this.

brian.rae@thordc.com

Old
WHT Addict

One datacenter near me has their server racks placed in such a way that the heat can be collected from them and then forced back through the HVAC system to heat the rest of the building. I guess that would be a good example of "green" hosting.

Uptime: 99.98% | Better Business Bureau Rating: A- | Online Since: 1998

Old
Temporarily Suspended

Green hosting is enviromentally friendly hosting, when datacentres use eco friendly ways to produce their services. They probably use wind turbines to get their energy.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
A gimmick.
I think i have to agree with you that It's a gimmick.

The Slightest is Still JUMBO

Old

Has anyone tried Green hosting from glowhost.com?

Old
Web Hosting Master

It's Datacentres & or hosts who use these DCs that are powered by renewable energy sources.

It doesn't matter whether your buying the power from a energy supplier that produces energy from a renewable source or you do DIY with a windmill on your DC roof with backup from a green electricity supplier - it's all about reducing your energy from non-renewable sources.

It's not a gimmick it's a genuine pro-active & concerted effort at reducing & or eliminating your reliance on non-renewable sources.

Better than doing nothing & promotes innovation IMHO

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

The amount of energy and 'pollution' data centers generate is microscopic compared to other things. It is indeed a gimmick in attempt to follow a 'positive, go green' trend.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Well it comes down the word green i guess. Little physics lesson for you all.

Energy is never created nor destroyed. Simply transfered. If you can make use of all that energy in various different forms of its state. (From Wind/Hydro > Create electrictiy to power servers > servers create heat which is then used to heat the rest of the building) That is a good way to describe green. Its original input is renewable engery (no carbon emmissions) and its off product from the servers is still used to heat the building.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acozilla View Post
The amount of energy and 'pollution' data centers generate is microscopic compared to other things. It is indeed a gimmick in attempt to follow a 'positive, go green' trend.
Say that when you have no infinite non-renewable resources left to use

Oh but, wait it's happening right now, in our lifetime ... don't worry about the future cause we won't be here to see it happen

Humans & their foolish blind ways never ceases to amaze me

Closed Thread