Question I violated the AUP because somebody DDOS my server?

So somebody DDOS my server and the datacenter told me that I violated the AUP because it's not allowed. That it is my fault I got DDOS because I should not be hosting content that attracts DDOS activity. I frankly don't want to argue and don't plan to, I just want to get my server back online. But just wondering, is this standard industry policy?

Can you tell which specific part of the AUP that they said you violated?

It's pretty standard the hosts don't want to host sites and customers that attract DDoS attacks. Typically a server would be nullrouted until an attack ends if the host thought it was an isolated incident, but frequent or repeated DDoS attacks will cause many hosts to suspend your service, whether it falls into "acceptable use" or not.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    So somebody DDOS my server and the datacenter told me that I violated the AUP because it's not allowed. That it is my fault I got DDOS because I should not be hosting content that attracts DDOS activity. I frankly don't want to argue and don't plan to, I just want to get my server back online. But just wondering, is this standard industry policy?
    Yes it is quite standard procedure to take your server offline by null routing the IP's. They will do it to protect their network. Don't forget there are other customers on the same network. A DDoS can degrade a network's performance so it is in the host's best interests to take action.

Most providers have terms in their AUP that states if your activity negatively affects other clients it is a violation. Most providers won't cancel your account if its a one time thing. Its for repeat offenders.

I decided to randomly pull up a large datacenters AUP and this is what they state.

Proper use of the Public Network is to utilize the network in any way so long as Customer does not violate any local, state, or federal laws or generate harm to the network or interfere with the use of services of other users utilizing the same network.
    Last edited by Jason K; 03-20-2011 at 02:36 AM.

It's just that I am a victim and the datacenter is pinning all the responsibility and blame on me. I guess it is standard industry practice.

It's just that I am a victim and the datacenter is pinning all the responsibility and blame on me. I guess it is standard industry practice.
    DDOS' aren't cheap to defend. I'm not sure if this is your first time dealing with this issue, but maybe your current provider doesn't fit your needs.

I've dealt with abuse issues for years, but typically your site is the reason your having these issues. This could include your content, banned users, competitors, people that don't like you, and a million different reasons why some one would DDOS you.

If you have a website that draws DDOS' or a lot of abuse issues you need a provider that understands your needs. Most providers on WHT wouldn't fit your needs if you need protection fromm DDOS'.

If the DDOS is afecting other customers by pushing a few Gbit through the uplinks to your server, it's normal the IP gets nullrouted. Traffic is expensive and needs to be paid somehow.
    The provider also has the right to refuse your business if it happens on a regular / daily base.

I am sure if you have multiple IPs on the server, you could still access it through 1 of the other IPs if the other one is nullrouted, to get your files back.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

You may see yourself as a victim but keep in mind the DDOS attacks against you are creating other 'victims' as well, Such as: Other customers on the network and the datacenter itself.

The datacenter has to protect the stability,reliability,integrity, and overall performance of their network and in order to do this they would have to take you offline if you are actively receiving numerous DDoS attacks. Before shoving the stick at the Datacenter you should put yourself in their position and ask yourself what would you do, A datacenter's actions may not always be in the best interest of the person receiving the DDoS attack but it is in the best interest of thousands of other customers on the same network.

If you had to choose between a DC that actively works to keep their network ship-shape and between a DC that just let's people run wild on their network, Which would you choose?
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

time to find a provider who does ddos specific services

You better have a good budget if you want a complete ddos protection specific service.

Of-course there are hardware level protections but they cost a lot. I am sure that your DC will give you your HDD data after the DDOS is over.

You're not the only 'victim' here. In this case, as suggested many times before, it's not just you. << snip >> and in this case, you're affecting everyone around you. Unfortunately, there's only one solution to the problem, which is to null the IP.

In this case, yes, you are the person causing the violation. Unfortunately, that negatively affects you, and unfortunately, you can't do a LOT to prevent something like this, but the datacenter has to protect their own name, and the customers (not just yourself) that pay them for the same job.
    Last edited by writespeak; 03-21-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    You're not the only 'victim' here. In this case, as suggested many times before, it's not just you. << snip >> and in this case, you're affecting everyone around you.
    << response to removed part of quote >>

In any event, if it was a one time thing you can contact your dc and ask them to look into allowing you back onto the network...however I am sure it was more than once as most don't terminate the service until a couple violations or major slow down occurs.
    Last edited by writespeak; 03-21-2011 at 09:53 PM.