Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

opinions on "hybrid servers"

Hi everyone,

I was looking to get your opinions on "hybrid servers", aka, VPS servers with an unusually high amount of resources.

First off, is hybrid server the best name for this? When you think of a VPS that is powerful enough to replace a low to medium spec server, what terminology do you think of? Does a description of "hybrid vps" or "hybrid server" generally give you the information you need to decide if this is the right class of product for you? Is there better terminology that you think gets the point of the product across more clearly?

Secondly, is this something people are generally interested in? I know that there are some advantages to going with a high end vps vs a lower end dedicated server, but definitely also some advantages to a lower end dedicated in terms of getting more processing power for the dollar. In my experience, it's a lot easier to sell someone on an inexpensive dedicated server than on a higher end VPS, even if the performance the customer ultimately sees is about the same. Are people generally uninterested in this product, or am I missing something?

Third, what do you actually think of when you hear hybrid vps? To me, mostly it seems that a hybrid in the $100 / mo range uses better quality hardware, raid, and usually includes management and cpanel, whereas a dedi at around the same price doesn't include any of that. Am I missing any key points here?

Thanks!
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

it depends on the vps power, that how much power full vps are you using currently with what configuration?
    could you mind let us know about this.

Hybride servers are median between VPS and Dedicated. if you need more resource than VPS but less than a dedicated you can go for a hybride server.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Is there better terminology that you think gets the point of the product across more clearly?
    Between VPS and Dedicated server? Semi-Dedicated...
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Aren't semi-dedicated servers are similar to hybride servers ??

Sorry for my lol english as i am indian and i do not know english.

Quote Originally Posted by VatikaG View Post
    Aren't semi-dedicated servers are similar to hybride servers ??
    Pretty much. Just different names.

Semi-Dedicated is just a very powerful VPS. You usually get around a good 2GB of Dedicated RAM and lots of CPU. You should be able to use more of the other resources like Disk I/O too.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

If I had the choice of going between a "hybrid server" and a low end dedicated server, I would probably go for the hybrid server simply because you will probably have more support from the company you purchased it from.

I think most people go for a dedicated server just because it looks better on their website saying they're running XXX spec dedicated server then this XXX spec high end/hybrid VPS.

I think of it as a VPS with alot of resources. A high end VPS provider should have a cluster of host machines and hopefully central storage for the data. They should be able to crank up vCPU/Memory/ etc. performance on any VPS. Perhaps semi-dedicated, but I guess it depends on the caliber of the host you are dealing with whether or not it would just be a VPS with more resources vs semi-dedicated or some other catch phrase.
    Linux & Windows Hosting Expert @ Contegix
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions
    rjohnson@contegix.com -- 877-289-0395 x2018 -- www.Contegix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    A high end VPS provider should have a cluster of host machines and hopefully central storage for the data. They should be able to crank up vCPU/Memory/ etc. performance on any VPS.
    That's usually referred to as a cloud.

That's usually referred to as a cloud.
    Ok. But regardless, you still have a virtual server, which is private, in that Cloud setup. VPS
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    Ok. But regardless, you still have a virtual server, which is private, in that Cloud setup. VPS
    Yup. I'm not a real fan of the term "cloud" anyway, but typically any provider who has shared / san storage for their VPS's refers to their solution as a cloud.

Yup. I'm not a real fan of the term "cloud" anyway, but typically any provider who has shared / san storage for their VPS's refers to their solution as a cloud.
    I'm in the same boat, it's just because a lower end provider will take one single machine with a RAID 1, virtualize it, and then call it a Cloud. Which in fact it is far from an actual legitimate cloud infrastructure.

I'm a simple person, openvz and xen only for me never think about hybrid or cloud or another kind of vps, the differences are only resources type and hi or low specs.

plus oversold or non :p

I don't look at hybrid VPS or semi-dedicated plans as having better hardware, just less accounts per server.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    I don't look at hybrid VPS or semi-dedicated plans as having better hardware, just less accounts per server.
    right, that's kind of what I'm getting at. For someone wanting a more powerful VPS, do you think the marketing term "hybrid" or "semi-dedicated" gets the point across properly? Do people trust these to live up to their promise?

right, that's kind of what I'm getting at. For someone wanting a more powerful VPS, do you think the marketing term "hybrid" or "semi-dedicated" gets the point across properly? Do people trust these to live up to their promise?
    In all honestly, hybrid servers are more than likely simply a VPS. They just hold less accounts (like Joker said). But using a term like "semi-dedicated" certainly does appeal to be more powerful so it could possibly be misleading depending upon how the provider handles things.
    Last edited by BkWTom; 03-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Eh, whatever works. Better hardware or not. They have to call it something. As long as the performance is there and my site runs better because there are less people using the resources.

Eh, whatever works. Better hardware or not. They have to call it something. As long as the performance is there and my site runs better because there are less people using the resources.
    Well yes, I agree with you. But the thing is, how do you get that across to a potential customer? I mean, you look at two VPS's with 2gb ram, what makes you trust that one will provide sufficient resources, whereas the other one you're more skeptical of?

I find it a lot easier to sell a $100 dedicated server than it is to sell a $50 vps, even in a situation where the VPS would be a better fit for the customer because it has sufficient performance, and also has raid and cpanel, vs the dedicated where at $100, you can't get raid and cpanel into that price.

I think a lot of this has to do with, a dedicated server with X specs, you know exactly what you're getting, whereas with a VPS, you really don't. The sales leads come in a lot slower, and people have a lot more questions to ask before they're comfortable going forward.

Do you think describing the offering as a "hybrid server", "hybrid vps" or "semi dedicated server" would do anything to improve the positioning and acceptance of this kind of service, vs just calling it a VPS with specs X, Y and Z? Or do you think it is going to be met with an equal level of skepticism regardless of what you name it?

Yep. At the end of the day, as long as it can support your clients or what not, it's good enough!

Well yes, I agree with you. But the thing is, how do you get that across to a potential customer? I mean, you look at two VPS's with 2gb ram, what makes you trust that one will provide sufficient resources, whereas the other one you're more skeptical of?

I find it a lot easier to sell a $100 dedicated server than it is to sell a $50 vps, even in a situation where the VPS would be a better fit for the customer because it has sufficient performance, and also has raid and cpanel, vs the dedicated where at $100, you can't get raid and cpanel into that price.

I think a lot of this has to do with, a dedicated server with X specs, you know exactly what you're getting, whereas with a VPS, you really don't. The sales leads come in a lot slower, and people have a lot more questions to ask before they're comfortable going forward.

Do you think describing the offering as a "hybrid server", "hybrid vps" or "semi dedicated server" would do anything to improve the positioning and acceptance of this kind of service, vs just calling it a VPS with specs X, Y and Z? Or do you think it is going to be met with an equal level of skepticism regardless of what you name it?

I have to completely agree with you on this. People know exactly what they're purchasing with a dedicated server where VPS providers just tend to put "equal share", for CPU, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWTom View Post
    I have to completely agree with you on this. People know exactly what they're purchasing with a dedicated server where VPS providers just tend to put "equal share", for CPU, for example.
    Do you think there's a good way to clarify this for customers?

Do you think there's a good way to clarify this for customers?
    Well, what is there to clarify? You can only do your best to put across the specs you get if you purchase a VPS and the specs you get if you decide to go with a dedicated server. It's what customers want in all honesty. People are far more likely to go for a dedicated server (if it's in their budget) as it makes them "look better" to clients.

yes, of course, but what I mean is, is there a particular kind of explanation that is both concise and clear, that would give a potential customer more confidence that a particular VPS would meet their needs? Obviously two VPS's can be wildly different, on the one hand being worse than shared hosting, on the other, more powerful than a dedicated server, but how do you let the customer know which is which before they buy it?

yes, of course, but what I mean is, is there a particular kind of explanation that is both concise and clear, that would give a potential customer more confidence that a particular VPS would meet their needs? Obviously two VPS's can be wildly different, on the one hand being worse than shared hosting, on the other, more powerful than a dedicated server, but how do you let the customer know which is which before they buy it?
    As I said, it all depends on the clients needs regarding specifications. If you just clearly what specifications you get with you get with the VPS, such as 0.6Ghz and not "equal share of CPU". And also maybe adding an explanation between a VPS and a dedicated server or whatever services you are offering. Apart from that, I don't think there is much we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by BkWTom View Post
    As I said, it all depends on the clients needs regarding specifications. If you just clearly what specifications you get with you get with the VPS, such as 0.6Ghz and not "equal share of CPU". And also maybe adding an explanation between a VPS and a dedicated server or whatever services you are offering. Apart from that, I don't think there is much we can do.
    I agree with you there. Unfortunately, I see a lot of providers offering "X ghz" of processing power, or "x cores" and really failing to live up to that claim. Whereas maybe 1ghz of cpu would be more than enough for someone, they've used a "5ghz VPS" or some nonsense, and it performed really poorly, and they won't even consider using "just a 1ghz vps" because they got burned before on misleading advertising. I agree, I don't think there is a lot to be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast