Your Advice: How to cancel a plan and keep on using it until expiration

I wanted to get some advice on a hosting situation.

My current VPS host’s account expires at the end of the month. I am planning on moving to another host 7 days prior to this expiration date in order to manually set up the new site, get it configured properly, change DNS settings etc.

The issue is two-fold. I’m on an annual plan with my current host and they want to bill me for the next year 2 weeks prior to this account expiring. Obviously I don’t want this, so I either need to tell them I want to go month-to-month (and then tell them I want to cancel about 8 days before the expiration) or I just come out and tell them now I plan on not renewing at all after the current paid for year expires.

My fear is that once I say I want to cancel (at the end of the month) that they may cancel the account immediately. Am I worrying over nothing? I’m aware I could purchase the new hosting account early, but I’d rather do it about a week early so that I’m not paying for double hosting for a lengthy period of time.

This is an odd situation and its one more and more people seem to get themselves into. I am not sure what the thought process of the hosts are that cancel service when time is still left on their account. All I can say is if it was a half decent host, I suppose for 1 you wouldn't be leaving but generally this simply shouldn't happen -- You've paid for it!

I would e-mail someone you know personally, let him know your situation and see what he can do for you. If its their policy to simply remove any remaining time you have on your account then that's something that needs to be addressed and perhaps WHT may help you do it

Good luck to you, I dislike slimey hosts
    www.BigScoots.com - Experience the Difference, Ride With Us
    Specializing in VPS and Shared Hosting | Free Server Migrations
    Fully Managed | RAID10 Dual Quad Core Systems
    REAL 24/7/365 US Based Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee

Usually you can submit a request to "cancel at the end of the current billing period" which any respectable host will honour.

Regardless though, I'd suggest turning up your new server now and start getting it ready for the transfer. By giving yourself lots of lead time you will ensure everything works correctly and the migration happens smoothly. Paying a few extra dollars shouldn't be a big concern if you value the website

It depends on your current host's policy and how much time they require for you to submit a cancellation request prior to the end of your billing cycle. Check the ToS for this and simply make sure you cancel before then, otherwise, you may be responsible for the next billing cycle.

A decent host won't just go deleting your account. You've paid until the end of this month and that's what you should get, regardless of their billing policies to bill you 2 weeks prior.

Check terms of service for cancellation conditions.
    Most of the time you can submit cancellation request and request to keep server online to renew date.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

If it was me, I would move the sites now, and not wait until the end of the month. Once everything is moved and confirmed working, "turn off" the site at the old provider (assuming it's a dynamic site) by putting up a notice to your users that you're undergoing maintenance , switch DNS, wait a day or two, and cancel your old account.

Like you said, the worry would be if they cancel the account immediately. Instead of wondering of the ifs, just take care of business now. So you lose out on a few weeks of hosting. What's more important to you, the prepaid hosting account you already purchased, or the uptime of your site?

I agree with CreedFeed, why try to milk the last bit of blood from a yearly sub? Move your sites over now get them up and running change the DNS and then just cancel your account when ready. No need to wait until the last minute, this is really only an issue if you INSIST and getting every last bit of hosting from your current provider.

I agree with Nnyan and CreedFeed. Spool up your other host at for a least a month beforehand and start transferring a skeleton site over to at least test it out. The last thing you want is to jump ship and end up in an even worse place with no life boat.

Also some cancellations are just a single mouse-click away, while some providers will need you to fax/mail a copy with ID. Read the ToS for their cancellation policy and be sure to give yourself, and your current provider enough lead time.

You should be able to inform them that at the end of the billing period you will no longer need their services, but keeping your service until end of billing cycle as paid for.

It's not uncommon for an invoice to be issues a couple weeks before a renewal, especially an annual one.

Common sense tells me that you should be able to get that invoice removed and have your service honored up to that due date.

I think the key is to have good communication with the host, so that everything is made aware.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

All you would have to do is tell them to cancel the hosting at the end of the billing period. They are not allowed to cancel it before then, because you have paid up to that date.

- Daniel

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are probably going to request to cancel at the end of the current billing period. However, we have multiple backups and are prepared to move quickly if any issues arise.

Quote Originally Posted by mavs-fan View Post
    Thank you everyone for your advice. We are probably going to request to cancel at the end of the current billing period. However, we have multiple backups and are prepared to move quickly if any issues arise.
    You shouldn't have any issues, you paid for the month and the current billing period...so I think you'll be okay.

Bad idea.

You're still down for most of a day if your host has an "immediate termination" clause in the TOS. Some do, and some don't, and still others will immediately terminate because they are jerks.

The best course of action is to acquire the new webspace, "test move" your sites to verify that your move operation works, and then cancel. If the host is a jerk and immediately terminates, then you only have to change your name servers. If the host isn't a jerk, then you have time to make the move.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    Bad idea.

You're still down for most of a day if your host has an "immediate termination" clause in the TOS. Some do, and some don't, and still others will immediately terminate because they are jerks.

The best course of action is to acquire the new webspace, "test move" your sites to verify that your move operation works, and then cancel. If the host is a jerk and immediately terminates, then you only have to change your name servers. If the host isn't a jerk, then you have time to make the move.
    No I still think contacting the host would also suffice to find out what their policy is if they have already paid for service. I've been with hosts that keep you own for 2 weeks into the next billing cycle if you've cancelled.

Look at your most recent invoice, it should have a renewal period. For example, "mydomain.com. 04/05/2011 - 04/05/2012".

If they were to terminate/cancel your account before 04/05/2011, they're doing something wrong (and possibly illegal?).

Good luck!

I contacted the host and have in writing that they will not bill us again and that the VPS will be active until the next billing date. As said earlier, I still plan to move the site a week prior to ensure everything goes smoothly.

So... so far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    No I still think contacting the host would also suffice to find out what their policy is if they have already paid for service. I've been with hosts that keep you own for 2 weeks into the next billing cycle if you've cancelled.
    So, what does he do if the host responds with "I canceled your account" like happened in this case: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=716030

I have been with great hosts. But I've heard enough horror stories about hosts who immediately cancel any account that mentions they are moving. Their rationale' is that they want to protect the other accounts on the server, and are afraid someone who is unhappy will try to make things difficult during the last few weeks.

I contacted the host and have in writing that they will not bill us again and that the VPS will be active until the next billing date. As said earlier, I still plan to move the site a week prior to ensure everything goes smoothly.
    That's a good plan ... giving yourself a week means you can actually get some sleep if the transfer goes bad!