* how many hours in advance do you expect your host to let you know for reboot

I got an email @ 5pm EST this afternoon from my shared host provider informing me that they will be rebooting the server at about 10pm EST (i.e., 5 hours of notice), which has a potential downtime for about 10 minutes.
    May I know is it common for 5 hours of advanced notice (the subject line said it is a "Scheduled Maintenance", but I do not recall getting any email prior to this one) and if not, how much advanced notice should I generally expect? A day or 2?

For planned maintenance i'd try for a couple of days notice

If it's that important to you if you get just 5h notice about 10min's downtime then you should get on your own server and not 3-5$/month shared hosting.

I am using the same company as you, and i got the same email and i do not care.

You ask too much for your few dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by zvjezdan View Post
    If it's that important to you if you get just 5h notice about 10min's downtime then you should get on your own server and not 3-5$/month shared hosting.

I am using the same company as you, and i got the same email and i do not care.

You ask too much for your few dollars.
    All I was asking for is what the norm is, if this is the norm then I'll just take it, and I like this hosting company in general, but this is just something they have never done before.

For a simple reboot, depending on what it's for, *any* prior notice is good. A server generally takes 2 to 5 minutes to reboot and then 2 to 5 minutes to "catch up" after a reboot to all of the requests that hit it.

There are a LOT of providers who simply wouldn't even bother informing you about a reboot simply because it's such a brief amount of downtime.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Well from tone (smile in your post title and post itself) of your post it looks like you will lose $1000 for that 10 mins. I did not want to be rude in my last post, but i really think that 10min's of downtime is not important for me.

I can't talk about "standards" but i can say that for me as a customer 5h is more then enough.

Edit:

I made a typo and it said " I did want to be rude in my last post"

Sorry about that.
    Last edited by zvjezdan; 02-24-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    For a simple reboot, depending on what it's for, *any* prior notice is good. A server generally takes 2 to 5 minutes to reboot and then 2 to 5 minutes to "catch up" after a reboot to all of the requests that hit it.

There are a LOT of providers who simply wouldn't even bother informing you about a reboot simply because it's such a brief amount of downtime.
    I definitely trust the words from the expert

Quote Originally Posted by zvjezdan View Post
    Well from tone (smile in your post title and post itself) of your post it looks like you will lose $1000 for that 10 mins. I did want to be rude in my last post, but i really think that 10min's of downtime is not important for me.

I can't talk about "standards" but i can say that for me as a customer 5h is more then enough.
    Nope, not a single cent, I do not have any business/money-making website there

Quote Originally Posted by zhuanyi View Post
    I definitely trust the words from the expert
    Haha, thanks. If the provider is regularly doing reboots without notice or with extremely short notice (less than a couple of hours) I would be very concerned however 5 hours of notice is generally sufficient I would think.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

It doesn't sound like routine schedule maintenance by your description. The fact that they bothered to tell you ahead of time (which is rare in itself) probably meant that that's when they figured out the action-plan schedule. It also depends on the severity of the action.

I've had one from an excellent, and very communicative host here, that came in only several minutes before they rebooted to fix a kernel exploit.

Haha, thanks. If the provider is regularly doing reboots without notice or with extremely short notice (less than a couple of hours) I would be very concerned however 5 hours of notice is generally sufficient I would think.
    Agreed, guess I was just being too grumpy, and I want to emphasize again that I really like my current hosting company, I was just surprised because we were normally told days in advance of any scheduled reboot.
    Thanks a lot for your clarification!

Agreed, guess I was just being too grumpy, and I want to emphasize again that I really like my current hosting company, I was just surprised because we were normally told days in advance of any scheduled reboot.
    Thanks a lot for your clarification!
    If they normally tell you days in advance and they're only giving 5 hours of notice this time around, it's quite possible it's a reboot for an important security fix or something they simply felt could not wait days.

You may simply express your concern over the short notice with them and see what they have to say. Just be nice about it (i.e. be polite) and let them know why it concerns you.

I'm guessing you're talking about StableHost because I got the same email at 3:31pm PST. It's a little short notice (they did acknowledge this) but notice was indeed given so all's good with me.

Sorry about that folks, we try our best to send them out much earlier but this case was a bit unique for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about StableHost because I got the same email at 3:31pm PST. It's a little short notice (they did acknowledge this) but notice was indeed given so all's good with me.
    I really have no intention to mention the name of the host, they are a great company so I really want to see only positive opinion attach to their name...

I do find it interesting the certain hosts that picked up on this thread
    Last edited by tchen; 02-24-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: *edit wordsmithing

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Sorry about that folks, we try our best to send them out much earlier but this case was a bit unique for us!
    Sorry, I really did not mean to mention the name of the hosting company...like what I have mentioned, and allow me to say it once again, you guys are a great company and I did enjoy hosting my personal sites with you guys.

Any chance you could tell me what exactly happened or it is part of the trade secret ?

Sorry, I really did not mean to mention the name of the hosting company...like what I have mentioned, and allow me to say it once again, you guys are a great company and I did enjoy hosting my personal sites with you guys.

Any chance you could tell me what exactly happened or it is part of the trade secret ?
    It's no big deal - honestly what you've brought up is a fairly minor concern and I wouldn't worry about it much. I doubt StableHost is upset about it.

For all we know this guy could be the webmaster for google and 10 minutes could mean millions of dollars.

What's a "simple" reboot? We don't come across these often and would never consider rebooting a server without any advanced notice**. I disagree that you're lucky for any notice - that should be expected of any provider.

I think this warning is ample if it was necessary although anything impacting service should try to have at least a 24 hour notice in my opinion.

** Always exceptions for something wacky like a nasty kernel exploit.
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

how many hours in advance do you expect your host to let you know for reboot
    For a reboot??? I could care less, if my host informs me or not about such a trivial detail. IMO reboots are expected to happen from time to time. If you ask me it is just part of the nature of the web hosting business.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    What's a "simple" reboot?
    A reboot to move into a new kernel version would be considered "simple" where as one to do a file system check would not be considered "simple", imho.

We don't come across these often and would never consider rebooting a server without any advanced notice**.
    Technically letting them know it's going to be rebooted within the next 60 seconds is advanced notice (as it's certainly not notice after the fact) but I'm just being technical/picky at this point.

I disagree that you're lucky for any notice - that should be expected of any provider.
    I'm not saying that advanced notice shouldn't be given, I'm saying that a lot of providers don't bother and as such they should consider themselves lucky that they got notice at all. I know providers, which shall remain nameless, that will perform all kinds of maintenance, reboots included, without any sort of notice.

I think this warning is ample if it was necessary although anything impacting service should try to have at least a 24 hour notice in my opinion.
    Indeed, we're all entitled to our opinions. For a 5~10 minute reboot 5 hours is adequate I would think but that's my opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    For a reboot??? I could care less, if my host informs me or not about such a trivial detail. IMO reboots are expected to happen from time to time. If you ask me it is just part of the nature of the web hosting business.
    Yes, I'm with that. A few minutes of downtime every once in a while is not something to worry about. It happens even to the best and biggest sites out there.

From my perspective, if you know about it, just inform your customers. Obviously I wouldn't do it 6 weeks in advanced, but if you know two weeks out i'd send the first reminder, then 3-4 days before hand send the second advisory notice. This way your clients have a heads up and then the remember.