Thumbs down GNAX Network and Hardware Support is Pathetic

Last year we were hosted on their SAN and we were down for 3 days while they troubleshooted it. Now the box we are hosted on with GNAX has been up and down for 2 days. Their "engineers" don't know how to properly troubleshoot hardware or network issues. They don't give their customers the attention required to get the job done. I don't know if they are understaffed or they have really low-quality people or what, but there are some major issues with them. I recommend avoiding any host in or on the GNAX networks and datacenters.

Rob, could you provide a ticket no so I can investigate. BTW, the network issue was a hardware problem with the 3550 you were apparently on.
    Not all clouds are created equal.
    WWW.GNAX.NET WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Leading hosted VMWare Cloud Solutions

The network just came up but this server is still plagued with issues. I just spoke to William, ask him for the ticket ID.

Really?
    One problem, isolated to you, and you tell the world to avoid all the GNAX networks and datacenters?
    Yeah, I don't think so.
    Of course, we have only been there going on 7 years, so we don't have much in the way of experience with them.

Rob,

I would appreciate if you would take a moment to send me an email with some brief details so that I can look into things. I want to make sure we address any issues and that we are always providing quality service.

I look forward to hearing from you so I can take care of you - but at least make sure any issues are addressed for the future.

Thanks!
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Techee View Post
    Really?
    One problem, isolated to you, and you tell the world to avoid all the GNAX networks and datacenters?
    Yeah, I don't think so.
    Of course, we have only been there going on 7 years, so we don't have much in the way of experience with them.
    I don't think you read my post because no where in it did I mention the issue was isolated to me or that there has only been one problem. We have done business with them or resellers on their network for 8 years off and on now. None of the issues I discussed in my thread were isolated to me nor did I only discuss one issue. We have had on-going problems. I didn't even post a thread during the 3 days of downtime on their large SAN set up last year when dozens of clients were affected.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Rob,

I would appreciate if you would take a moment to send me an email with some brief details so that I can look into things. I want to make sure we address any issues and that we are always providing quality service.

I look forward to hearing from you so I can take care of you - but at least make sure any issues are addressed for the future.

Thanks!
    What is your email address? PM it to me if you prefer.

Having the exact same issue with GNAX. It has been the same for the last week, we have moved onto a new SAN and the same issues are still there.

Ping times before their "maintenance" on the SAN was 100-200ms and now it is going beyond 1000ms, the server is up and down like a yoyo, GNAX tends to void that there is anything wrong - They are always working on the situation it never gets resolved.

We have gone in circles with GNAX and I am tired of being told things are now fine when they aren't.

Support takes quite a while to respond, you get incorrect information at times and you wonder how they hire there staff, and then we suffer the aftershock from clients saying their are server issues.

I have talked with Harry - He is very good but where it comes to this whole GNAX system it has only gone bad to worse and I am just plain tired of going in circles with them to get things resolved.

We are moving onto a new platform with DedicatedNOW with the power of OnAPP with our own Private Cloud and SAN, but sadly we did invest in going with GNAX and what do you know they give you a setup at a hefty cost that will not even support OnAPP at all - Yes this was JSCL or Jason on this forum that is now disabled and was fired by GNAX - Go figure.

If you want to trust GNAX with your server you might as well throw the towel in because it is just giving us a bad name as well as having our clients down because GNAX cannot get things going correctly.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Eric - I think you are referring to a san expansion we just did. Apparently we found a pragmatic limit to the number of units supported in a cluster. The issue you were experiencing was due to re-striping operations from adding capacity. We followed the policies the manufacturer gave us on the file system san but have found that after a certain number of heads in the cluster restriping negatviely impacts performance.

How have we resolved this? We are running the restriping after hours and have put in a new deployment policy to limit head counts to 5 in a cluster. More importantly we are going to deploy a cluster all at once instead of deploying a small cluster and growing it as all manufacturers say you can do. It does not work well for the slower file system san so we are going to deploy those cluster in 5 nodes all at once so we dont have this issue in the future.

As far as your assertion that we dont support Onapp - that is false. We were the first "certified OnApp" provider and we have great setups that support it just fine. I think what your issue was - is that you wanted to deploy on the cheapest hardware config you could put together with no redundancy. Our setup on this low end hardware still supports it but as you know - OnApp nor GNAX recommended this to you - we both told you that it was not a good idea for the stability of your customers going on to this service.

If Dedicatednow is going to tell you that going onto low end hardware to support a cloud with many customers at risk is a good thing and works great that is their problem. We are not going to tell you that - I would rather be honest with you than take your business by telling you what you want to hear.

Good luck with your new bottom of the line setup. I hope you dont have too much downtime that affects large swaths of customers because that is what you are building your business to end up as. I would rather you be somewhere else when this happens so it does not reflect on us.

We have shifted gears in the past year to focus on quality setups and higher end solutions and the lower end requirement are just not a good fit for our company any more - but I realize you have to start somewhere. We just realized that we can not be everything to everyone and we are simply choosing to serve the higher end requirements.

Thank you.

JH
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Hi Jeff,
    We were being told that we were being migrated over to a SAS infrastructure instead of the SAN, 3 days ago. We just learned – by contacting your support yet again since the server went down – that you guys failed in doing the migration.If you say “we have started to migrate the data now” isn’t it a good idea to actually let us know if it fails so we can be prepared?

Not sure what Sean got the idea of you guys not supporting OnAPP from. I do apologize for that mistake on his behalf. However, we had a budget in place for the initial project with GNAX. A budget that would increase once we felt secure in trusting GNAX with more investments from our side. Take a look at our ticket history, the initial setup during our first order was terrible, and yes, I will admit, that did cause us to lower the budget until we were being sure that GNAX was the ideal partner for this project.

You are accusing us of taking a risk with our clients data, you do not know anything about our setup with DedicatedNOW, so please do not try to insult our company without actually knowing the setup we are planning on using in the future. I can only say that the minimum budget we gave Jason to work with isn’t the same as we gave DedicatedNOW – since they took the time to explain why they wanted to increase the budget and we felt secure in trusting them with our OnAPP infrastructure.
    FYI, OnAPP deployment has approved the setup with DedicatedNOW and hasn’t recommended against using it at all. We are not afraid to invest, when the time and the partnership feels right.

I can see that William updated the ticket with a “problem resolved” response, 5 days after ticket submission. We will be more than happy to work with your technicians; if they are updating us regularly so we can get the whole picture.

Do you think we want to move our whole infrastructure used on our Shared/Reseller clients? We don’t, you guys have an excellent network and speeds have been great until 5 days ago and we will be more than happy to stay with GNAX as long as these improvements is taking place and the server returns to its former glory.

I do apologize if you took any offence from the post made by Sean. I guess we all are a bit frustrated over this whole situation.

-Eric, and btw, I’m not Sean
    Last edited by Spiral-Eric; 03-20-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    l Spiral Hosting Limited • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2003
    l Leading UK and Ireland Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.SpiralHosting.com

I have seen all the emails that went back and forth on trying to explain why you guys should be in a better setup than the low end desktop solution.

Why you chose to spend more with DN is not my issue. We recommend and provide an industry leading setup. I do know DN's available setup and what they quoted you guys. The solution we quoted you has more bandwidth to it - with dual 10g uplinks and has fully redundant power which is important - for clouds - since if you crash them its ugly and impacts a lot of customers. I don;t believe you decided to do this anywhere yet. I still recommend it and so does OnApp.

You guys specifically told us your budget would not accommodate it. That is fine. no big deal.

The issue you have run into that you are rightly upset about is a problem we had with our lower speed san that you guys are on. Its the least cost one we have and we trusted HP that you could expand it at will. We have learned there is a limitation on this and are fixing it. That is our fault for the performance hit you took for the last week. I believe it is resolved now. We get it - we have also put in place procedures that will prevent this in the future.

This does not happen on the SAS based san - but its more expensive - and of course has higher performance. It wont happen again on the SATA based san either now that we have run into it and know how to prevent it.

I am still not sure why so many people like to come to this board and air all their laundry out - it always becomes a 2 way street. Every provider has bumps in the road. I can tell you that for every story you might have there are equal stories about every other provider out there including one that you may be looking at. I find it better to work with a provider to get things right vs screaming at them in public.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000