Thread: VPS for a Forum

VPS for a Forum

My forum haves about 20.000 users. about 200/300 online at the same time(Its a Smf 2.0 forum).

I have about 40 $ to sped. It haves to be managed.

which vps company and plan is good for me? I dont haves problems to make the first payment quaternaly... and if there are any first payments discounts better

I am from spain, I hope you understand me...

Nice... SMF rocks!

With that many users, you need to look at 768 megs of RAM, and make sure that whomever you pick for your hosting provider is able to install some kind of a caching mechanism as well as providing you with Apache and MySQL optimization. Trust me... this will make a LOT of difference for you.

What control panel are you interested in using?
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

I would say go with Knownhost they are a top provider you'll get a fully managed account with the right specs for you. Make sure to check out their offer in the offer section will save you some $.

Make sure you get a decent amount of RAM, 1GB or so. What are you currently using?
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    I would say go with Knownhost they are a top provider you'll get a fully managed account with the right specs for you. Make sure to check out their offer in the offer section will save you some $.
    Agreed. With their recent upgrades across the board, their services really are a great value.

Why is everyone promoting knownhost?
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christiandb View Post
    Because they are actually good. Very good.

First you can only "promote" hosts that you have actually used. I've used a very large number of hosts (I'm a VPS testing addict) and they are one of a small number of hosts that I consider to be the very best. If they fit into your needs/budget then they are a no-brainer.

You've just entered the industry then?

Oh.....and another KnownHost vote from me as well!

Do you need any specific location? Since you are from EU I will also suggest getting a VPS in EU because of the better and faster connections.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Nice... SMF rocks!

With that many users, you need to look at 768 megs of RAM, and make sure that whomever you pick for your hosting provider is able to install some kind of a caching mechanism as well as providing you with Apache and MySQL optimization. Trust me... this will make a LOT of difference for you.

What control panel are you interested in using?
    Thanks ... Can you explane me how to ask for this optimization?

The panel isnt very important for me.. cpanel or someone else

LVPSHosting Do you need any specific location? Since you are from EU I will also suggest getting a VPS in EU because of the better and faster connections.

Can you add me some links of vps providers from EU to see the price, etc? thanks
    Last edited by silber112; 02-10-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silber112 View Post
    Thanks ... Can you explane me how to ask for this optimization?

The panel isnt very important for me.. cpanel or someone else
    Actually, most managed hosting providers should know how to do some of the basic optimization stuff right out of the gate. SMF works pretty decently without too many non-standard optimizations, though each optimization should be tweaked to accommodate for the site's specific needs and the specific system hardware configuration.

Like I advised earlier, the first thing you need to do is get caching sorted. That will help a LOT, especially with 200-300 users online (I'm personally used to working with a site that has 10x that number).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by silber112 View Post
    I will also suggest getting a VPS in EU because of the better and faster connections.
    Don't get too hung up on this silber!

Yes in principle an EU location should give you a better connection.....all other things being equal.

However in practice it doesn't always work out that way!

I'm in Spain as well.....so you tell me which of these two sites is quicker! One is EU and one is US!

Adventure Rider

TheRevCounter

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    I'm in Spain as well.....so you tell me which of these two sites is quicker! One is EU and one is US!
    The US one loads faster, from Canada, just as it normally should. Terrible providers aside, it mostly depends on how it gets routed, and there's no way to avoid that 100ms+ hop across the Atlantic.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

Quote Originally Posted by dyna! View Post
    The US one loads faster, from Canada, just as it normally should. Terrible providers aside, it mostly depends on how it gets routed, and there's no way to avoid that 100ms+ hop across the Atlantic.
    Well I'm in Spain and the US one loads quicker as well.

I think some of u r mis-leading the OP. 768mb RAM will not be good enough for 200 - 300 users online if it has post count of above 200k. I would suggest u to look around for minimum 1 GB ram and 2 GB burst, as this would at least help u focus only on forums rather than worrying about server loads.

Guys, I'm a *very* grizzled SMF battle axe, having personally admined several forums ranging from 10 people online to nearly 5K people online. If the tweaks and optimizations I advised are used, SMF will run pretty decently on 768 megs of RAM. I'm certainly not going to say that more RAM won't help (it will), just saying that it should run fine on 768.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Guys, I'm a *very* grizzled SMF battle axe, having personally admined several forums ranging from 10 people online to nearly 5K people online. If the tweaks and optimizations I advised are used, SMF will run pretty decently on 768 megs of RAM. I'm certainly not going to say that more RAM won't help (it will), just saying that it should run fine on 768.
    I tend to agree, with 1GB being much more desirable. My busiest forum is quite a bit smaller than yours at 200 users max, but I noticed the amount of attachments (over 7k on mine) does add to the load via MySQL queries when a search engine starts indexing them. Nofollow helps (enabled by default in SMF, I think), as does excluding image types in ROBOTS.TXT.

Knownhost seems to be famous here in WHT. gonna try it.. VPS for a forum seems to also be a good idea and less expensive rather then purchasing a whole dedicated server. servint or knownhost are best in VPS business as i've heared from the reviews here in the WHT.

Hello all, I am going to do the payment next monday..

My options are:

http://www.knownhost.com/
    A lot of you recomend it

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1022548
    Its cheaper.. many discounts and more hard..

thanks

Of course US one will load faster super cleer brains. Because it is only text-based forum. But the other one is fullof images making so many calls.

It is like summing up apples and elephants.

Of course the US one will load faster my super clever brains. Because it is just a text-based forum. But the other one, which is a blog, is full of images making so many outcalls.

It is like summing up apples and elephants. Nothing else. And congratulations on all of your success for trying to fck innocent people.. Choosing the server from the target location country makes a huge dominant effect in SEO regarding SERPs and on server page response times.

PS: And the most obvious reason for the blog being slow is that, it refers to google for some scripts to put adsense and analytics code in its pages.