View Poll Results: Why are you ordering E5500-Series with just ONE CPU?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I didn't realize that I can get more powerful single CPU machines

1 14.29%
  • I plan to add a second CPU to the machine very soon

6 85.71%

Does anyone order a SINGLE CPU E5500-Series server?

Are people ordering SINGLE CPU E5500-Series servers? What is your reasoning behind this when a single CPU X3400-Series is most likely faster.
    I see the E5500-Series making the most sense when used in Dual CPU configuration.

I've added a simple post with a few options, if you are buying single processor E5500-Series (E5504, E5506, E5520, E5540, etc) machines, can you please qualify why?

Thanks!
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

I think the most likely case is where people are buying servers to support current needs but want the ability to support future growth as well. So I voted for planning to add a 2nd cpu soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tkam View Post
    I think the most likely case is where people are buying servers to support current needs but want the ability to support future growth as well. So I voted for planning to add a 2nd cpu soon.
    yup, the only logical reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Are people ordering SINGLE CPU E5500-Series servers? What is your reasoning behind this when a single CPU X3400-Series is most likely faster.
    I see the E5500-Series making the most sense when used in Dual CPU configuration.

I've added a simple post with a few options, if you are buying single processor E5500-Series (E5504, E5506, E5520, E5540, etc) machines, can you please qualify why?

Thanks!
    The x3400 series came out Q3 2009, which I guess people bought the original servers before the x3440 came out. Now since the x3400 series came out, I see no reason in buying a single CPU setup on the E5500 series.
    Jacob Wall

I get single proc 5504's often. The normal justification is they are an inexpensive processor and from my vendor it is the best Mhz per $ ratio. I do also keep in mind that I have the flexability to add a second proc if/when needed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SolutionProInc View Post
    I get single proc 5504's often. The normal justification is they are an inexpensive processor and from my vendor it is the best Mhz per $ ratio. I do also keep in mind that I have the flexability to add a second proc if/when needed in the future.
    A Xeon X3400-Series machine will cost less and be more powerful though. You can always upgrade to a Dual E5500 when you need the power later on, more than likely by just swapping the HDD without any issues unless you are running a highly customized kernel or something of the sort.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

That is why I did state "from my vendor". The X3400 seriese is not available in the standard chassis I purchase. To change models that I buy requires much more investment in having dis-similar systems than the small savings from the processor.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    A Xeon X3400-Series machine will cost less and be more powerful though. You can always upgrade to a Dual E5500 when you need the power later on, more than likely by just swapping the HDD without any issues unless you are running a highly customized kernel or something of the sort.
    Exactly, that is exactly why we don't offer single CPU E5500's. I don't really see how they make any sense. Migrating the drive into a new system is easier, and thus possibly faster, than adding the 2nd CPU. With the drives we just pull out the hot swap drive tray and swap it in another system, putting in the 2nd CPU will require unracking the system, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

At this time I source all of my servers from Dell. The only 1RU model they make that offers the X3400 processor is the R210. If I went with an R210 to get the X3400 processor I would be giving up the ability to add a second processor, hot swap drives, redundant power supplies, and 8 memory slots over the R610.

Given I may be wrong about this at this time but as of a few weeks ago that was the only 1U model that had the X3400 as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by SolutionProInc View Post
    At this time I source all of my servers from Dell. The only 1RU model they make that offers the X3400 processor is the R210. If I went with an R210 to get the X3400 processor I would be giving up the ability to add a second processor, hot swap drives, redundant power supplies, and 8 memory slots over the R610.
    Exactly why you should be buying Supermicro Servers from Amadi Systems instead of from Dell.

Sorry, saw the opportunity to give my favorite vendor a plug and just had to do it... :-)
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

It is not by chance that I purchase Dell over SuperMicro. I guess it is a Chevy vs Ford type of thing. We each have our own reasoning and opinions.