Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exceeded allocated monthly traffic(attacked)

hi

we recieved email about Exceeded allocated monthly traffic.
    it says Please take note that the allocated traffic included with
    your Budget-Performance (calculated by GB of traffic) has been exceeded Traffic generated for the month of November to this day: 1698.331GB .Allocated monthly traffic: 1500GB

we always use less than 100 gigs per months .I think our server has been attacked.

my question is what we must do to prevent it for future?

Pay a company to audit your server's security - almost guaranteed you got hacked. Or, take a copy of your files, and reload the box.

do you think there is another cause for Exceeding monthly traffic?

I am not sure attacking is the cause.strange issue is server

reports 45 gb for monthly traffic

You could also submit a support ticket to your hosting company and have them look into it further. Best of luck in the future!
    Whitney Godard - Account Manager
    SingleHop Inc. - www.singlehop.com Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 107

Definitely ask for details and explain that this is an aberration from your normal traffic levels that you feel should be investigated. That's not an unreasonable request.

Did you make sure you was not charged for the overages? Or if you was?
    General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations

First you need to review your logs, as well as your host. If you host isn't running some sort of monitoring software, then you need to inquire about it. Also if you have been hosting with this company for some time and they suddenly noticed a huge increase of bandwidth, they should have been the ones to notify you. But yes, if you aren't sure on how to go about this, hire someone to review your logs / security and request your host to look into your bandwidth history.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

I did chek up server access statistics provided by host

it was true.we exceeded monthly traffic

I did chat with datacenter...they said if it happens another time
    they will investigate.at now i have to pay 50 dollars for 170 gigs
    that has been exeeded vainly.I worry about another time it reaches 10000 gigs and have to pay very very much money vainly again.we have only 2 sites there without any video or photos.just
    some articles that has been pdf

any software for linux servers using nginx or lighttpd that can shut down a server or display a 'bandwidth exceeded' page when a monthly bandwidth limit has been reached?

Problem is there are so many variables with this.
    For instance, if you are offering shared hosting on your server, and one of your clients installs a script that is vulnerable, it literally can compromise the whole server. Now if you have 200 websites on that server, its like a needle in a haystack trying to find the issue.

I mean an insecure form and bam, someone can root kit you! Thats why you really have to keep tabs on what clients are doing.

We do the best to screen our clients and in the case of custom scripting and or semi complex sites, we recommend them going VPS.

Also back up is key!

An easy thing to do is to login, see what your load balance is and start shutting sites off one by one. See when the load comes down.

www.getinspace.com

Boutique Dedicated Servers, VPS and Managed Servers 877-711-HOST

Quote Originally Posted by getinspace View Post
    An easy thing to do is to login, see what your load balance is and start shutting sites off one by one. See when the load comes down.
    That seems like you are going to piss off your customers that are not causing a problem.

Don't you have some kind of control panel? This is one of those instances where cPanel or another panel really comes in handy. Shutting down sites for bandwidth usage isn't the solution but it can quickly stop overages.

I seen a server use 500GB in under 24 hours so anything is possible.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Your host should be able to provide you with a logon to check your traffic at any time. I would always reccomend looking at this once a week to see what your total use to date for that month is. Some people will check this ever day if they have time but once a week is usually good to find a problem.

thanks all

I got server just for my own site

I looked at network usage.it exceeded monthly traffic(1500 gigs)
    yesterday was 1600 gb today is 1700

I dont have any videos or photos on my site just some articles thathave been pdf from 5 years ago.I am confused what is the cause?

I myself don`t know about server managing...the one who have done it before does`t liks to works for me it seems...

iweb replied me if i suspect DDoS attacks it is better for me to use thier servises
    http://iweb.com/managed-hosting/secu...tion/features/

I replied them I am not sure attacking is the cause...I want to investaging about it...

babak, could you send me a PM with your account information ?

I'd like to look into this for you,

Thanks
    David Moreau Simard
    :: Blog: dmsimard.com
    :: Twitter: @dmsimard

my server manager did cheked up log files and he founds nothing.he posted this email to iweb

Since we have installed your r1soft backup the bandwidth usage which is shown
    in costumer hub has increased strangely . we have just one site on this server
    which you can see its bandwidth usage in this link :
    https://...com/plesk-stat/webstat/
    which is equal to the whole bandwidth usage of server from plesk control panel
    and is 1/40 of the amount shown in hub control panel . I also checked the log
    files and found nothing . as I see your Backup has a bug and I fear it would be the cause
    of this problem. please resolve the issue

Quote Originally Posted by iWeb-Foo View Post
    babak, could you send me a PM with your account information ?

I'd like to look into this for you,

Thanks
    The award for best reply in this thread goes to: iWeb-Foo! Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by babak54 View Post
    my server manager did cheked up log files and he founds nothing.he posted this email to iweb

Since we have installed your r1soft backup ...
    That could be a clue.

Presumably r1soft keeps logs of what it's doing; so what is it backing up, and how much data is it transmitting each day?

Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
    That could be a clue.

Presumably r1soft keeps logs of what it's doing; so what is it backing up, and how much data is it transmitting each day?
    we have only two sites there(about 1.5 gigs).total space of server is about 29 gigs.r1soft reports it has 40 gigs.it is configured for daily back up automatically .

after that i asked them to install it i have had some problems.their systems didn`t accept any tickets.they said they installed r1soft
    but it has not been installed .after one week and multiple chatting ultimately their system administor fixed it.r1soft installed and their system too. they said there was a bug.at now
    i have 29 gigs on server .r1soft shows 40 gigs. i asked about it they told it is normal

I don`t know current problem relates to r1soft or not
    Last edited by babak54; 11-19-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281 View Post
    That could be a clue.

I forgot to say we always have l00 GB BW per month

no video no music no photos...just some pdf files
    from 5 years ago.some articles and one big vb forum
    Last edited by babak54; 11-19-2009 at 01:16 PM.

I forgot to say we always have l00 GB BW per month

no video no music no photos...just some pdf files
    from 5 years ago.some articles and one big vb forum
    So what is R1soft backing up, and how much data is it transferring each day?

Is the traffick inbound or out? Ask your provider to check that. Install mrtg or vnstat or something like that to monitor your traffic. Inbound traffic i guess attack. Out i guess there could be an script running in tmp or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by stubrud View Post
    Is the traffick inbound or out? Ask your provider to check that. Install mrtg or vnstat or something like that to monitor your traffic. Inbound traffic i guess attack. Out i guess there could be an script running in tmp or something like that
    Judging by its design and purpose, I should think R1soft could be generating 80 gigabytes of traffic a day, backing up a server with 29 gigabytes of data.

One of the features of R1soft is it can keep the backup constantly up-to-date. That means changing files can be backed up many times a day ... so the daily network traffic can exceed the total amount of data on disk.

If someone has configured R1soft to back up say every hour, and included MySQL tablespace areas containing the Vbulletin forums data, then maybe every time someone posts a forum append, R1soft will see modified files to be backed up.

Given that the problem started when R1soft was installed, I think the first step is to examine R1softs's logs to see how much network traffic it is generating.

thanks iWeb-Foo and all friends

from 12.00 wed I have had normal situation.I monitor it every day.

awstats reports 2.05 GB for average BW and 40.95 as total as yet.server reports 50.1 GB.server access statistics provided by host/network usage reports very much more.which one is reliable ?

r1soft is configured for having backup daily automatically.it seems r1soft gets huge BW even at normal situtaion .may be it is better for me to make it off at future

awstats reports 2.05 GB for average BW and 40.95 as total as yet.server reports 50.1 GB.server access statistics provided by host/network usage reports very much more.which one is reliable ?
    They are measuring different things.

The host network usage reports are measuring all network traffic; awstats is measuring the traffic to selected applications (web server and ftp server I think, but maybe others too.)

You really should check the R1soft reports to see what it's doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast