Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refund or not ?

Refund or not ?

18/10/2009 i bought a server from TailorMadeServers http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=905255
    "Core2Duo E6550 (2 x 2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
    4GB DDR2 RAM (Upgrade to 8GBs for only $10!)
    250GB SATA-II HDD
    250GB SATA-II HDD
    2500+ Gigs Bandwidth
    100Mbps Port and up to 8 IPs
    Free Remote Reboot Access
    MRTG Graphs & 24/7 Monitoring
    Cpanel with Fantastico is FREE"

I got it with Directadmin panel. I tried to move my data from my old server to new server. After that, i found out my new server can't run php. All php file have result is white page.

I tried to contact them to fix it, but so sorry they told "Unfortunately I dont know much about server management, and much less with DA" and they require me to solve it myself.

I ask them for refund because my old server's invoice will expire in next two days. I need moneyback soon to pay it.

I also recomplie apache and php,mysql, but nothing changes.

Hello, i'm so sorry to ask for refund, but the server that you give me can't be used. I unable to load php in my server, i rebuilded apache and nothing change.

Can you please refund for me ? I will pay for Directadmin lisence.

Please refund for me soon, so i can pay invoice for my old server.

I'm so sorry for ask it. Please understand for me.
    I am sorry but as explained in the Terms of Services, we cannot do refunds. You may need to try to compile apache with different parameters until you get PHP to work, or get a management company to help you achieve that, but unfortunately we cannot offer a refund at this point.
    Oh my god, i know your tos is not accept. But please, i beg you. I pay invoice for an un-used server, i think this is your fault, not mine.

I tried my best to solve this problem but i can't.

I hope you will understand and refund to me. I will pay for directadmin lisence.

Please, you don't lose anything. But i will lose everything if things go wrong like now.
    I am really sorry, but we have already worked quite a bit on this server, so yes we would lose quite a bit if we issue a refund. You may not know this, but typically the first month payment typically just covers the work of preparing and installing your server. So yes, we stand to have lost quite a bit of work if we issued refunds, which is why we don't issue refunds under any circumstances.

Again, this should be a fairly trivial problem to solve. Try contacting a management firm, and I'm sure they would be able to help you get Apache to work properly with PHP.

If this is your fault, please contact to managemet firm to solve them, you give me an un-used server and then you want me to hire someome to solve. I see it's unfair.
    It is not our fault. We did a standard DirectAdmin installation like all the ones we've done before. If you wish, we can re-do the installation, but it is definitely not our fault.

I don't know what you've done, but the server that you give me is un-used server. You mean this is my fault? It's take me a day to transfer data and my site still down.

I hope you will refund to me, i will pay for directadmin lisence. I need my money back soon to pay my old server invoice.

Please , i beg you. I ordered your server with price $110, if you can give me back $80, i will happy to receive it.
    I am sorry, we cannot do refunds. The server was working properly when handed over. If it was misconfigured, this was done after our initial setup, for which we are not responsible. I am sorry, the only solution at this point is to fix the PHP problem. There will be no refunds, this is not negotiable.

Please tell me, what can do with my server at this time while my server can't run php ? I buy server to run my site, not to test or study

You need to configure it properly, that is what can be done.

You gave me a bad server and now you want me to fix it, how can i do ? If you were me, what would you do ?

We did not give you a bad server, and I'm also offering to reinstall the server so that you get it in the original status (when it worked). We can also try reinstalling DirectAdmin and having it use Apache 2 from the start. And lastly you can hire a management firm that knows how to configure a server for you. There are many options available to you, you just need to choose.
    I think best choice at this time is waiting for your refund. If your server do not active, it mean i close my site a long time. If i chooss reinstalling DA, i must wait two days ( one for reinstall, one for trasfer data ).

Why you can't refund to me, i'm ready to pay your DA lisence include $10 for fee.
    And i'm waiting their reply. What can i do now, i bough an un-used server , my site still down and they don't support, don't refund me.
      0 Not allowed!

TailorMadeServers is an unmanaged provider and this is clearly stated within their TOS as well. It does take quite a fair amount of work to provision a dedicated server not to mention the hardware costs alone. For an unmanaged provider, their duty is to provide the customer with working hardware and ensure infrastructure services are online (i.e. network, power, cooling etc).

If you aren't familiar with System Administration, I would recommend contacting a management firm such as webbycart.com, assistanz.com, bobcares.com, liquidsupport.com, we3cares.com, supportlobby.com etc to get this sorted out. Alternatively you can post on the Employment offers forum and have someone look at this for you as well.

I hope you get this resolved in a timely manner.
    Antony Mascarenhas How can I help? antony_m@zysek.com
    Zysek Technologies Pvt. Ltd. - Indian Datacenter ¦ Hyderabad & Mumbai
    Web Hosting · Virtual Servers · Dedicated Servers · Colocation · Managed Services
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by antony_m View Post
    TailorMadeServers is an unmanaged provider and this is clearly stated within their TOS as well. It does take quite a fair amount of work to provision a dedicated server not to mention the hardware costs alone. For an unmanaged provider, their duty is to provide the customer with working hardware and ensure infrastructure services are online (i.e. network, power, cooling etc).

If you aren't familiar with System Administration, I would recommend contacting a management firm such as webbycart.com, assistanz.com, bobcares.com, liquidsupport.com, we3cares.com, supportlobby.com etc to get this sorted out. Alternatively you can post on the Employment offers forum and have someone look at this for you as well.

I hope you get this resolved in a timely manner.
    I know they're selling unmanaged server. But how can they give me a server like that and they require me to hire someone to solve it ?

If my server run well and there is a problem, i won't create this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kongken View Post
    I know they're selling unmanaged server. But how can they give me a server like that and they require me to hire someone to solve it ?

If my server run well and there is a problem, i won't create this thread.
    Because it's unmanaged.
      0 Not allowed!

How can you blame this on TailorMadeServers (unmanaged provider), its not there fault you have no clue what you are doing. Dedicated servers companies never give a refund just because you don't know how to config your server. I suggest you hire someone...
      0 Not allowed!

I don't want to blame with them.

They gave me a server with directadmin panel. I add domain and all .php file have result is white page.

I even haven't edit anything. If you were me, what would you feel now ? Buy an bad server and must hire someone to solve for them ?
      0 Not allowed!

I don't want to blame with them.

They gave me a server with directadmin panel. I add domain and all .php file have result is white page.

I even haven't edit anything. If you were me, what would you feel now ? Buy an bad server and must hire someone to solve for them ?
    Unmanaged = you configure it. They just provide the hardware/infrastructure/licenses. That's it, now some providers will go the extra mile.

However you should have went with a semi-managed or managed provider if you expect this type of service.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Unmanaged = you configure it. They just provide the hardware/infrastructure/licenses. That's it, now some providers will go the extra mile.

However you should have went with a semi-managed or managed provider if you expect this type of service.
    But they configure my server to go wrong, how can i know what they did ?

My old server is unmanaged too, they gave me server with directadmin panel. I just add domain to run my site and handle server myself.
      0 Not allowed!

But they configure my server to go wrong, how can i know what they did ?

My old server is unmanaged too, they gave me server with directadmin panel. I just add domain to run my site and handle server myself.
    Then re-configure it, it's unmanaged, so its not their responsibility. Like I said, they could go the extra mile and do it for you. But they don't have to because it's unmanaged, and you signed up for unmanaged. Therefore you manage it yourself. It's pretty straight forward, and you even acknowledge that their TOS specifies this.
      0 Not allowed!

Then re-configure it, it's unmanaged, so its not their responsibility. Like I said, they could go the extra mile and do it for you. But they don't have to because it's unmanaged, and you signed up for unmanaged. Therefore you manage it yourself. It's pretty straight forward, and you even acknowledge that their TOS specifies this.
    I re-configured and rebuild all thing but nothing changes, this is the point.

Can't believe it, i wasted $110 for a bad server.

If i knew that their server can't run php and need someone to solve it before using, i would never bought it.
      0 Not allowed!

I suggest you to choose the feasible options rather than repeatedly asking for refund. I can understand your concerns. But they are ready to do what ever they should do, under the unmanaged services they are providing like reinstall and all. And they stated clearly they don't offer any refunds in their TOS. So try to find a solution with out wasting time. I also feel you will get it done easily if you hire a support tech or contact a server support company. Best of luck.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.
      0 Not allowed!

I re-configured and rebuild all thing but nothing changes, this is the point.

Can't believe it, i wasted $110 for a bad server.

If i knew that their server can't run php and need someone to solve it before using, i would never bought it.
    PSM is $29/mo and I'm 99.999% sure they can fix it for you.
    http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/
      0 Not allowed!

@Mike : i decide to choose an unmanaged server because i believe i can handle my server basicly. If i need support from tech staffs, i will go with managed server.

I will stay with my old server. $110 for a bad server and can't use it till expire day, hope no-one will follow me, because they will need to hire someone to solve server before using.

So bad, i don't have enough money to pay my old server's invoice now.

TailorMadeServers provide servers that are bad i have ever seen and used
      0 Not allowed!

Hi kongken,

You obviously need system administration services. You can either contact your web host and to ask them to provider server management service or to hire someone to do the job. I don't understand what do you think by saying that the server does not support PHP. Find someone to reinstalled it. If you can not handle it, just ask for refund (if you are eligible toe receive it) and fins managed service.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Hi kongken,

You obviously need system administration services. You can either contact your web host and to ask them to provider server management service or to hire someone to do the job. I don't understand what do you think by saying that the server does not support PHP. Find someone to reinstalled it. If you can not handle it, just ask for refund (if you are eligible toe receive it) and fins managed service.
    Did you read my first post ?

I ask them for refund and they don't accept.

I don't know exactly what they did, but they gave me an un-used server and require me solve it for them. I'm not a computer doctor, i'm a customer.
      0 Not allowed!

@Mike : i decide to choose an unmanaged server because i believe i can handle my server basicly. If i need support from tech staffs, i will go with managed server.

I will stay with my old server. $110 for a bad server and can't use it till expire day, hope no-one will follow me, because they will need to hire someone to solve server before using.

So bad, i don't have enough money to pay my old server's invoice now.

TailorMadeServers provide servers that are bad i have ever seen and used
    You obviously cant manage your own server, this has been proven by your lack of ability in this thread. The first step to recovery is to admit you need help and cant manage your own server. The server is not bad, you just don't seem to know how to fix it (i.e. don't know how to manage it) So you should stop blaming them and fix it, simple as that. The whole point of a managed server is so they fix issues just like this one. As an unmanaged server provider, they only need to deliver the server with the OS and Licenses, they are not required to configure everything for you. Some places will, they obviously don't and stick to their TOS as they should, it's that simple.
      0 Not allowed!

As far they do not charge any setup fee and do not guarantee any initial setup and configuration to a definite level of operation actually they don't get Apache compiled to function with PHP. So what they do is they get OS with the default kernel installed and install the default configuration of the DA. So the issue with the PHP is not the issue caused by the provider.
    Normally configuration of the server is done after the default installation of services, cause by default most of them do not function correctly. In such a way when installing cPanel it compiles Apache in such a way that not all necessary modules for PHP are included. With such installation your sites are not supposed to work correctly. The configuration of the services is considered to be the Administration Service.

As you didn't pay for any such services how can you request a refund for this?
      0 Not allowed!

Did you read my first post ?

I ask them for refund and they don't accept.

I don't know exactly what they did, but they gave me an un-used server and require me solve it for them. I'm not a computer doctor, i'm a customer.
    As a customer you buy something, this sumething is the dedicated server itself with the following guarantees (as taken from www.tailormadeservers.com/tos.php?SHOW=sla):

Network Uptime:
    Tailor Made Servers guarantees network uptime of 99.9%. This includes our internal network and connectivity at the border routers to the exterior. Outages outside of our network cannot be covered by our SLA although we will pro-actively contact our providers to follow up with issues affecting our customers if the issues happen within our providers' peering points. If total outages exceeds .1% of uptime for a month, customer will be credited for one full day of service. Outages exceeding one-day of service (has never happened) will be credited on a case by case basis.

Hardware Replacement:
    At Tailor Made Servers, we use high quality hardware to limit the possibility of failure. However, if there should be hardware failure of any kind, we will replace such part within 4 hours of determination of failure by one of our technicians. Note that the hardware replacement SLA can be affected and/or canceled by misuse of the remote reboot ports.

As you see you didn't purchase the configuration of neither Apache nor the Server in general to a certain level.
      0 Not allowed!

After that, i found out my new server can't run php.
    Yes it can.

You just need to learn how to run your server.

This tutorial might help you:

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/wi...and-mysql.aspx
      0 Not allowed!

You obviously cant manage your own server, this has been proven by your lack of ability in this thread. The first step to recovery is to admit you need help and cant manage your own server. The server is not bad, you just don't seem to know how to fix it (i.e. don't know how to manage it) So you should stop blaming them and fix it, simple as that. The whole point of a managed server is so they fix issues just like this one. As an unmanaged server provider, they only need to deliver the server with the OS and Licenses, they are not required to configure everything for you. Some places will, they obviously don't, it's that simple.
    I think you're the same with tailormadeserver, all you need is money and you don't care about customers. The server they gave me is bad.

Tell me, if you were me, what would you do to fix it ? Stop reply in this thread if you don't like me. Why you keep saying that i must hire someone? You want me to use your service ?

As a customer you buy something, this sumething is the dedicated server itself with the following guarantees (as taken from www.tailormadeservers.com/tos.php?SHOW=sla):

Network Uptime:
    Tailor Made Servers guarantees network uptime of 99.9%. This includes our internal network and connectivity at the border routers to the exterior. Outages outside of our network cannot be covered by our SLA although we will pro-actively contact our providers to follow up with issues affecting our customers if the issues happen within our providers' peering points. If total outages exceeds .1% of uptime for a month, customer will be credited for one full day of service. Outages exceeding one-day of service (has never happened) will be credited on a case by case basis.

Hardware Replacement:
    At Tailor Made Servers, we use high quality hardware to limit the possibility of failure. However, if there should be hardware failure of any kind, we will replace such part within 4 hours of determination of failure by one of our technicians. Note that the hardware replacement SLA can be affected and/or canceled by misuse of the remote reboot ports.

As you see you didn't purchase the configuration of neither Apache nor the Server in general to a certain level.
    And i must fix something if they destroy my server ?
      0 Not allowed!

I think you're the same with tailormadeserver, all you need is money and you don't care about customers. The server they gave me is bad.

Tell me, if you were me, what would you do to fix it ? Stop reply in this thread if you don't like me. Why you keep saying that i must hire someone? You want me to use your service ?
    Look, I can tell you obviously don't understand. There is nothing wrong with the server. If this happened to me? I would fix the damn thing because its unmanaged and my responsibility to make sure its configured properly.

They did not destroy it, you never configured it properly. Pay for managed services if you expect them to configure it.
      0 Not allowed!

Why didnt you take them up on the offer to reload the OS and reinstall DA?
      0 Not allowed!

You can learn to set up your server to your satisfaction.

It might take you about a day to get it running (Apache, MySQL, PHP.)

But nothing is going to happen till you accept that there is nothing wrong with the server, and getting it to do what you want is your job.

Analogy: it's as if you have bought a car, not being able to drive. And you are trying to tell the car dealer company there is something wrong with the car because it won't do what you want it too. You can either hire a driver, or learn to drive. Your choice.
      0 Not allowed!

Look, I can tell you obviously don't understand. There is nothing wrong with the server. If this happened to me? I would fix the damn thing because its unmanaged and my responsibility to make sure its configured properly.

They did not destroy it, you never configured it properly.
    Yes, how can you understand me ? All you need is money.

They configured it, i said i didn't edit anything. After they said they won't support, i tried to remove apache and rebuild it, but nothing changes. Who know what they did ?

If nothing wrong with my server, why i create this thread ?

@mike : you are not a customer, you will never understand. Please stop replying in this thread.

Why didnt you take them up on the offer to reload the OS and reinstall DA?
    Because Asking them to reinstall OS and setup DA, transferring my data will take at least two days. My old server's invoice will expire tomorrow. If everything go wrong, it mean i will down my site a long time. I'm crazy now, i don't have enough balance to pay my old server's invoice and of course can't go with new server.
    Last edited by kongken; 11-19-2009 at 01:04 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

@mike : you are not a customer, you will never understand. Please stop replying in this thread.
    I do understand as both a provider and a customer.

I've used shared/reseller/virtual/dedicated/leased/owned-colocated/managed/unmanaged/used managed support providers and the whole nine yards.

You don't understand.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast