What to do about gemwebhost?

I have a VPS with gemwebhost and I've been extremely unhappy with service, they ignore my tickets and have outright lied to me.
    Today I went on the live chat and asked for a refund and look at this!:

System 9:08:20 AM
    System is getting started. [Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:08:20 AM]

A representative will be connected, please be patient.

Shazim enters the chatroom.
    Shazim 9:08:32 AM
    Hello Mohammad, my name is Shazim, how may I help you?
    Mohammad 9:09:00 AM
    Hello, I spoke to aakash yesterday about the refund.

aakash said that I would get the refund in 24 hours but it has been 24 hours and I still have not gotten it.

Shazim 9:09:26 AM
    yes i see the note on it from the seniour management

it states as you had gone for a Optimization offered you void your refund

Mohammad 9:10:06 AM
    What are you talking about?
    Shazim 9:10:23 AM
    there was an optimization done on your server

thats what the note states

Mohammad 9:10:36 AM
    I asked for it BUT NO ONE optimized it
    Shazim 9:10:38 AM
    science it was done for Free
    Mohammad 9:10:44 AM
    also it doesn't say that anywhere on the site.

That is the REASON why I'm leaving this place

Shazim 9:10:59 AM
    any free service given

as a part of the main service

if you cancel the main service

you cannot be refunded

Mohammad 9:11:23 AM
    Also aakash said himself that I would get a refund.
    Shazim 9:11:23 AM
    as we have given you a free service
    Mohammad 9:11:40 AM
    Free service? It's called management and you advertise it on your site.
    Shazim 9:11:41 AM
    aakas had updated in the ticket

yes

but if you use it it voids your refund
    Mohammad 9:12:09 AM
    No one has updated any tickets
    Shazim 9:12:14 AM
    becuase the techs have worked on it
    Mohammad 9:12:19 AM
    It doesn't say that anywhere on your site.

Any I'm looking at my tickets, NO one has updated them!

<ticket url removed>
    Shazim 9:12:59 AM
    its inernal notes
    Mohammad 9:13:14 AM
    This is fraud.

False advertising.

Can I speak to your senior manager?
    Shazim 9:13:53 AM
    i m really sorry for the inconvience

you can reply to the ticket

as that ticket is escalted to him
    Mohammad 9:14:32 AM
    I've been replying to all of my tickets. It is you and your staff that has been ignoring me.

The reason I'm leaving is because you guys have been lying to me.

I'm still waiting for a response on my ticket why don't you people ever reply?
    Shazim 9:15:59 AM
    i m sorry for the inconvinece
    Mohammad 9:16:51 AM
    I'd like the refund and I'll leave and never come back here.
    Shazim 9:17:27 AM
    the admin had worked 2 hours on optimization

thats $ 25 per hour

Mohammad 9:17:47 AM
    Your site advertises free managed services

Also he did not do any optimizations, why did my site go down?

Shazim 9:18:03 AM
    yes but if you use the admin hours
    Mohammad 9:18:05 AM
    Your admin didn't even bothering replying to my ticket, how is that optimization?
    Shazim 9:18:09 AM
    we can investigae that for you

if you reply

Mohammad 9:18:25 AM
    Where do you want me to reply??!!!

I've updated my refund ticket AND optimization ticket but you people just ignore them!

Also it doesn't say that anywhere on the site that if I get optimization done it'll void my refund!
    Shazim 9:19:51 AM
    optimization is not taken by every one

if you use any related free services you cannot be offered a refund

Mohammad 9:20:37 AM
    Where does it say that on the site? You're just making up rules.
    Shazim 9:20:51 AM
    it there in the internal note

please reply to the ticket

i cannot give you any more information on this
    Mohammad 9:21:11 AM
    I keep asking you which ticket but you won't answer me

"Internal note" That sounds to me like you're hiding it from the customers and like I said before, making up rules.

Shazim 9:22:18 AM
    please open a new ticket

i m an support executive

i do not deal with accounting issues
    Mohammad 9:22:48 AM
    I went to sales chat not support.
    Shazim 9:23:15 AM
    i do sales chat also

but accouting and billing

u need to open a ticket
    Mohammad 9:23:38 AM
    I've opened 2 tickets already. One was deleted

The other no one bothered responding too.

I spoke with aakash yesterday and said I would get a refund within 24 hours.

You guys keep making me open tickets but no one responds!

Shazim 9:24:39 AM
    why are u repating the same thing
    Mohammad 9:25:12 AM
    Because it appears you keep ignoring me. You're constantly repeating to "reply to ticket" "open a new ticket"
    Shazim 9:25:15 AM
    thank you for visting gemwebhost

have a gr8 day

System 9:25:24 AM
    The representative has left the conversation. If you have further questions please leave a message: Leave message. Thank you!
    Their site advertises 14 day unconditional money back guarantee and they also advertised free managed services but no where does it state that if you get help that it'll void your refund. Also that optimization is BS, originally they said my site would be able to handle 10,000 users online at the same time but it went down with just 1500 also I checked the logs and nothing was done.
    I just want to get a refund and leave this horrid place. What do you guys suggest? Should I start a dispute in paypal?

Thanks.

You can open a dispute with PayPal, but they are not likely to side with you. Cut your losses and look for a new host.

I've found a new host and communication with the new one is great they're really helpful. But with these guys I believe that I deserve the refund since they advertise it on their site that's one of the reasons why I went with them.
    Last edited by phpfaizan; 11-12-2009 at 11:42 AM.

If you file a PP dispute I would take a screen shot of the refund policy. Open a dispute and then fax in the refund policy screen shot along with the dispute case number (fax it at least 3 times so they can not say they never received it). This should get you somewhere on a refund since it was the company policy and not PP's they are having to abide by.

As others have said open a dispute with PayPal with all the details you have and they should sort it out for you.
    While that's going on find a new host.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

I've found a new host and am very happy with them but these gemwebhost guys are still giving me a headache.
    Look at this:

# 11/17/2009 07:26 PST - PayPal: Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.
    # 11/17/2009 07:26 PST - Seller: customer has used additional service valued over $ 75
    # 11/17/2009 07:25 PST - Seller: we do not do Server optimization for free as you had a vps with us we gave u a free service values $ 75 we cannot refund you until you clear the $ 75 invoice in your account
    # 11/15/2009 14:55 PST - Buyer: Here is a pastebin pasted on Sunday November 15. http://pastebin.com/m2fdd7206

For some reason paypal isn't showing my other comments which explain that the site advertises free managed support. That $75 that they say I owe is BS. I can't believe paypal decided in their favor I have feeling they don't even look at the case and its comments.
    This is the second time something like this has happened to me.

Is there anything I can do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by phpfaizan View Post
    I've found a new host and am very happy with them but these gemwebhost guys are still giving me a headache.
    Look at this:

# 11/17/2009 07:26 PST - PayPal: Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.
    # 11/17/2009 07:26 PST - Seller: customer has used additional service valued over $ 75
    # 11/17/2009 07:25 PST - Seller: we do not do Server optimization for free as you had a vps with us we gave u a free service values $ 75 we cannot refund you until you clear the $ 75 invoice in your account
    # 11/15/2009 14:55 PST - Buyer: Here is a pastebin pasted on Sunday November 15. http://pastebin.com/m2fdd7206

For some reason paypal isn't showing my other comments which explain that the site advertises free managed support. That $75 that they say I owe is BS. I can't believe paypal decided in their favor I have feeling they don't even look at the case and its comments.
    This is the second time something like this has happened to me.

Is there anything I can do about it?
    Unfortunately things don't look to great for you. Paypal usually sides with the seller on the sale of virtual goods, which is why it's always best to try and get a refund directly from the provider (by asking for one etc...) before opening a dispute. At this point it looks very unlikely that you will ever see your refund, but I'm willing to bet the damage you've done to their image will cost them far more.

Most providers do not offer refunds on managed VPS plans, largely because the tech time needed to provide the managed services itself is non-refundable, and the provider would actually lose quite a bit of money if they refunded you.

I paid partially with my debit, could I call my bank and file a chargeback?

That's a terrible experience. At least now we all know to stay away from them. Thanks for sharing, and good luck!

On their TOS (http://gemwebhost.com/tos.html):

5.6 You may cancel the Services at any time by logging into the Ticket Desk Support System (for verification) and requesting cancellation of services.
    5.7 During the first 30 days of Services, You are entitled to a refund of fees paid with the exclusion of domain name registration, dedicated server, data transfer fees, and excessive support requests should you decide to cancel the Services for just cause. GemWebHost shall be the sole arbitrator as to the validity of your claim of just cause. And will subtract the aforementioned fees from any monies due you.
    5.7.1 During the first fourteen days of service you are entitled to a full, no questions asked refund excluding as set forth in sections 5.7, 5.7.2, 5.7.3, and 12.5; as well as exclusions listed in section 2 above.

No mention of "admin" charges negating your so called "Unconditional Refund" or just your plain Refund. Does sound like a scam to get out of having to issue a refund. If at all possible I try to avoid paying for digital goods with Paypal. Credit Card charge backs are your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by phpfaizan View Post
    originally they said my site would be able to handle 10,000 users online at the same time but it went down with just 1500
    So they told you a $15 to $30 fully-managed VPS would handle 10000 simultaneous users? I guess it could be possible in certain very limited circumstances but for a typical PHP forum or CMS, extremely unlikely... I hope your new provider is more realistically priced or you could find you have the same problem again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    If at all possible I try to avoid paying for digital goods with Paypal. Credit Card charge backs are your friend.
    I actually take the opposite view - I prefer PayPal because it doesn't allow the vendor to charge me again without my permission (or lose my credit card details). I can live with the loss of a month's hosting fees if I make a bad decision, I just don't want the hassle of blocking payments or changing cards.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Hey phpfaizan

Thanks for this info - I was just about to sign up with them for a VPS but the support guy seemed dodgy so I came here to see any reviews.

well... they won`t see my cash now

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    I actually take the opposite view - I prefer PayPal because it doesn't allow the vendor to charge me again without my permission (or lose my credit card details). I can live with the loss of a month's hosting fees if I make a bad decision, I just don't want the hassle of blocking payments or changing cards.
    I see your pointbut for my cards it's not a hassle at all. One phone call (or I can do it online) and the vendor is blocked and/or chargeback started. Besides even if it WAS a hassle I would still prefer it b/c it's the only way to ding these bad hosts for their poor actions. I think many of these "dodgy" hosts RELY on the fact that many people don't want to take this extra step. They know PP will side with the vendor on digital goods so what do they have to lose? Chargebacks are the only tool available to us (other then posting on sites like WHM) to impact these vendors.

So what we have are bad hosts like gemwebhost who clearly advertise a "no questions asked MBG" but then have internal rules that stop them from having to actually follow their own policies.