Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    we've found these to be pretty cost effective:
    http://www.plinkusa.net/webMU-116AP.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    we use the dell "brand" avocent, ds2161 and ds2161-ds2 and they work great.
    My only complaints against 2161DS:
    1. you will need to install a separate Java based application. This makes it troublesome if you want to offer KVM/IP service to your customers.
    2. Once you logged in to the application, eventhough your access to the servers might be limited (depending on which servers your are assigned to), you will still be able to see all servers.
    3. On Windows, the mouse pointer on the console and the mouse pointer on your desktop hardly ever match. Mouse interaction is slow as well.

I am not sure about 2161-DS2 though.

Dell has also recently released new KVM/IP series. The number escapes my mind. From what I can gather, it can be used with web browser. I will check my note again.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

16 ports are not enough for us. Our Dell 2161DS can control up to 128 servers in a single 1U unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    We've had great success with the Avocent DSR-1024 units, daisychained to a standard KVM switch. (We originally used the Avocent Switchview KVM/IP units and had so many problems with image distortion and lockups that Avocent Support exchanged them for the much more expensive DSR unit at no extra charge.)

Daisychaining a non-IP enabled KVM switch to a single-port KVM/IP unit saves money, and is a reliable solution for remote KVM/IP control of many servers.

Code:
    [internet]
          |
          |
     [Avocent DSR-1024]
              |
              |
      [Standard KVM swtich with 4, 8, or 16 ports]
                       |
                       |
    So, how do you switch from one server to another remotely? Do you connect to this "Standard KVM switch" and cycle the port remotely?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Quote Originally Posted by datarealm View Post
    we've found these to be pretty cost effective:
    http://www.plinkusa.net/webMU-116AP.htm
    That IP-KVM looks good, but I think it only supports one simultaneous user?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    16 ports are not enough for us. Our Dell 2161DS can control up to 128 servers in a single 1U unit.
    Add as many ports as needed. My point was, design the KVM system as you would if working at the rack. Then the last step is to add a 1-port KVM/IP gateway in place of a physical keyboard/monitor/mouse, to remote-enable the entire setup. You can do it with 100% IP-enabled KVM gear, but that is expensive. The wallet-friendly method is use standard KVM kit which is much cheaper, then add a single-port IP enabled unit at the top to make for remote access. Obviously, if this will be used by customers and not just admins, this setup is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    So, how do you switch from one server to another remotely? Do you connect to this "Standard KVM switch" and cycle the port remotely?
    Hotkeys. For example, in our setup the hotkey sequence to switch to KVM port #3 is SCRLLOCK-SCRLLOCK-3.

A few years ago we had three 8-port Belkin units (they were really horrible) cascaded togehter. The key sequence to get bank #2 port #6 was SCRLLOCK-SCRLLOCK-2-6.

This comes up so much it should be a sticky. For general applications, we use the Startech 16-ports. They are inexpensive and generally work very well. If we need media and for customer use (they are easy to move around), we have single-port Startechs with the virtual media function. One also acts as a console server with daisy-chained RPORT adapters into core routers and switches for out-of-band management.

As many mentioned, the Dell-branded Avocents are another good option. I've seen them on the used market priced very cheap.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're using more than one port, the cables could end up costing you as much as the KVM.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that if you're using more than one port, the cables could end up costing you as much as the KVM.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. Sometimes I think KVM gear is sold the same way as inkjet printers, where they sell the device fairly cheap, then kill you on the cost of ink cartridges over time. KVM cables are ridiculously expensive, and vendors want you to believe you have to use their cables, which is another revenue stream for them. This is only true for oddball units.

IMO, it is best to buy gear that uses your standard 3-cable setup, instead of units that have K/V/M cables combined into a single plug at the KVM-switch end. This way you can use any generic (translation: inexpensive) KVM cables you can buy online from bulk cable vendors, or cables you already have.

Drifting off-topic, history buffs might recall that's the way the original Gillette rasors were sold. Mr. Gillette reasoned that a high price dampens adoption, and his was a newfangled product. So he decided to sell the rasor handle cheaply to encourage initial sales, believing that he would see long-term revenue growth through the sale of blade refills. He was right.

Quote Originally Posted by VINAX View Post
    That IP-KVM looks good, but I think it only supports one simultaneous user?
    Multiple users can share the console, but it only supports one console at a time (2 users cannot view different servers simultaneously). It is pretty cost effective compared to other solutions though.

KVM's are nice and we used to use these until we did a major hardware refresh. Now we do with dells Drac cards for full management remote access/reboot/power cycling and medio mounting which is very important. If you are interested we have a 16 port minicom smartcat 16 switch with ricc available. PM me if you would like more info.

Quote Originally Posted by webecs View Post
    KVM's are nice and we used to use these until we did a major hardware refresh. Now we do with dells Drac cards for full management remote access/reboot/power cycling and medio mounting which is very important.
    I strongly recommend keeping at least a single port IP-enabled unit in the rack for emergencies. Given enough time, you will eventually experience the terror of a DRAC (or similar BMC) unit going unresponsive. If the colo is out of area, you'll be thankful for a basic KVM/IP box that can be plugged in by remote hands.

Even though we've gone to an all-HP setup with the ILO Advanced pack-- full KVM, remote power, remote mount media-- we still keep a few KVM/IP units in the racks for emergencies.

Sekweta - that is an extreamly good point! We actually do this also. How do you like the HP ILO compared to dells Drac?

I've only toyed with the Dell DRAC once or twice, never in production or for any length of time. I've been told DRACs are prone to lockups, but others have said newer versions are better.

As for the HP ILO, we use ILO 100 and ILO2. Both have been very reliable. The caveat with ILO 100 is the KVM/media console cannot be used from outside a NAT gateway, but all the browser based functions such as remote power control work fine. ILO2 has no such NAT limitation.

The one nit to pick is the slow data transfers to/from remote-mounted media. Even when the server is on the same subnet and physical LAN segment as the remotely connected PC, transfer speeds max out around 4 mbps. This can make for painfully slow software installs if you have to do it this way (such as installing an operating system from bare metal). But when the server is down, slow is better than nothing.

To get the KVM/IP and Remote Media functions, you have to buy the Advanced license at around $300 per server. Chances are you won't need it often (or at all) but it's worth its weight in gold if you do.

Yikes, that's pretty expensive just for a 'license', not to mention you already paid for the ILO itself.

The IPMI card from Supermicro includes KVM and virtual media is ~$50 add-on. This is way cheaper than an external KVM/IP solution so it makes plenty of sense.

I'd rather atatch a Startech KVM (heck even a spider on each box) than pay $300/server just for a software license.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I'd rather atatch a Startech KVM (heck even a spider on each box) than pay $300/server just for a software license.
    It can probably be found cheaper from a web vendor/reseller, but yeah it is pricey. For those who don't need KVM, the remote power control and basic reporting are included free.

Also, if you take the server out of production you can delete the license key from the BMC and re-use it on another machine, as long as the replacement box uses the same ILO version (ILO 100 or ILO2).

I know HP servers (and everything that goes with them) are more expensive than Supermicro and Dell, but you can pretty much smash them with a sledge hammer and they'll keep running without missing a beat. (do not try that at home, kids)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    I know HP servers (and everything that goes with them) are more expensive than Supermicro and Dell, but you can pretty much smash them with a sledge hammer and they'll keep running without missing a beat. (do not try that at home, kids)
    Thanks for that last part, as I do have a lot of them at home!
    ABSF
    Arrogant Bastard Server Farm
    Built from scratch Data Center serving
    100 year-old Metaphysical Library

Quote Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
    Thanks for that last part, as I do have a lot of them at home!
    You can never be too careful with disclaimers in today's litigious society.

Luckily I don't have servers getting smashed around in the DC. Otherwise I'd definitely go with HP.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Years ago we had a couple servers in a family-style colo, and the rack jockeys decided to shift around some equipment without telling us. They just yanked the power cords (no graceful shutdowns, ouch!), moved the boxes down a few racks and plugged them back in... and then neglected to plug the power cord on our switch back in. I got server-down alarms in the middle of the night (grrr!) and couldn't for the life of me figure out why everything we had was apparently dead.

Long story short, we didn't know about the physical move until we went on-site and started looking for our (seemingly missing) gear. They were brand new servers right out of the wrapper when we installed them, but now they were all scratched and gouged-- one even had a big dent in the top cover. They'd removed the rails, stuck the servers on a shelf and our rails were missing. After crawling around we eventually found them under another cabinet further down the row where someone probably just kicked them under.

Moral of the story is, the rack jockeys at this place were like the gorillas on the Samsonite commercials back in the 70s. Our servers had the crap beaten out of them, and we were livid.

(And yes, we promptly found another DC, came in early Saturday morning and removed all our gear without notice.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12