Ideal Host for High Bandwidth Site

I have a high traffic blog that is very image centric and has growing bandwidth requirement. It currently takes about 1.2 TB per month.

I am currently hosted on Dreamhost which has unlimited bandwidth capabilities and is on shared hosting. But currently I have been having memory problems I have felt the need to change. They of course have a VPS option but I am wondering if it is the right way to go as I find it a bit overpriced for the memory they are offering.

I was wondering if there are any managed dedicated or VPS offerings out there that provides upto 5TB bandwidth. What would you suggest for the following budgets

a.$75/month
    b.$150/month
    c.$300/month

(I require cPanel)

If you plan to grow, i would advise you to consider a fully managed dedicated server that would keep you off the hook for some while; which means you are in the (b) to (c) slot.

A VPS might be possible; but remember that a VPS is just as much shared as a shared-hosting account, you do not have full access to all resources of the server either. Before you decide, do also take a look into the managed dedicated arena

To be able to actually have and be able to use that much bandwidth I would suggest just going with a dedicated server at a quality provider. You're looking at around $200/month minimum at SoftLayer but you can get the same server from 10tb.com for cheaper - or a better server for the same price.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

@040Hosting. ny recommendations for a host?

@MikeDVB Softlayer does not offer managed hosting does it?

Quote Originally Posted by aurictitan View Post
    @MikeDVB Softlayer does not offer managed hosting does it?
    You can get management from 10tb.com I do believe - beyond that the only other provider I would trust to manage a server would be RackSpace and they are ridiculously expensive.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You can get management from 10tb.com I do believe - beyond that the only other provider I would trust to manage a server would be RackSpace and they are ridiculously expensive.
    Alternatively, server management can also be outsourced from providers like PSM to cut cost.

If you are pushing 1.2TB off a shared hosting account and haven't been bothered by them about that bandwidth, it seems that sticking with them and going the VPS route might be worthwhile instead of the a crapshoot of a VPS elsewhere that may need to be managed yourself .

You should have a look at managed dedicated server company's, I know Rackspace already got listed but there are many others, Wiredtree, Liquidweb, JaguarPC, etc.
    Jacob Wall

What would you suggest for the following budgets

a.$75/month
    b.$150/month
    c.$300/month

(I require cPanel)

a. a very good shared or semidedicated
    b. a very good vps or a low/medium end dedicated
    c. high end dedicated

P.S. All of these considering cPanel license and management.
    P.P.S. I don't intend to spam, it's just my opinion based on your requirements and your budget. The main problem is possibly the 5TB bandwidth but I think, if you ask before, any host can find a solution for you...
    -> Bibihost.com <-> Since 2010 Professional Hosting in EU and USA <-
    -> No cheap stuff, we provide only professional hosting on powerful machines <-> Speed and responsiveness are first priority! <-

seems you need a dedicated server im surprised you were able to push that much bandwith on dreamhost.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    seems you need a dedicated server im surprised you were able to push that much bandwith on dreamhost.
    Dreamhost certainly has extra capacity to go around, where the issue usually occurs is in the resources required to generate the pages necessary to push that much BW (in the case of a dynamic site).

I have a high traffic blog that is very image centric and has growing bandwidth requirement. It currently takes about 1.2 TB per month.

I am currently hosted on Dreamhost which has unlimited bandwidth capabilities and is on shared hosting. But currently I have been having memory problems I have felt the need to change. They of course have a VPS option but I am wondering if it is the right way to go as I find it a bit overpriced for the memory they are offering.

I was wondering if there are any managed dedicated or VPS offerings out there that provides upto 5TB bandwidth. What would you suggest for the following budgets

a.$75/month
    b.$150/month
    c.$300/month

(I require cPanel)
    For $150 a month budget you can get a dedicated server with at least 4TB bandwidth or even 10TB bandwidth, i would opt for a dedicated server instead of a VPS, it will give you more resources for in the future.

What type of site you running?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    I've read of customers using even more on budget shared hosting account, and not just with Dreamhost. I recall of a Site5 customer using 5TB in a month (but not consistently). Such situations do remain the exception rather than the rule.

As for the way forward, if peace of mind would be the more important factor while also trying to not throw money out the window completely, I think I'd go for a managed dedicated in the $150-300 range. It should fit your needs and growth for a good while, and enable you to buy from a reputable provider.

You can get 4TB-5TB bandwidth at places at around $50.

Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    Can you get it? Yes... Would I rely on such a provider? No...

Quote Originally Posted by TheServerExperts View Post
    For $150 a month budget you can get a dedicated server with at least 4TB bandwidth or even 10TB bandwidth, i would opt for a dedicated server instead of a VPS, it will give you more resources for in the future.

What type of site you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    Can you get it? Yes... Would I rely on such a provider? No...
    In addition to what Mike had said, there are reliable providers who oversell cautiously, however, they are rare. 10TB for $150 is pretty unrealistic, and the same goes to 4-5TB for $50.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    You should have a look at managed dedicated server company's, I know Rackspace already got listed but there are many others, Wiredtree, Liquidweb, JaguarPC, etc.
    Wired Tree: I considered them first as i have heard so much good reviews about them. But the max they seem to go as far as bandwidth is concerned is upto 2 TB and that too at about $260. Given the rate at which I am growing I would need something for atleast 4-5 TB

LiquidWeb: Even though their base plan seem to show only $190 or so, when u add the essentials like automatic backup and cpanel it comes to $300

Jaguar PC: Same reason as wired tree. max seem to go only as far as 2TB with over use rates too expensive.

10 tb sounds interesting.
    Last edited by aurictitan; 11-14-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Wired Tree: I considered them first as i have heard so much good reviews about them. But the max they seem to go as far as bandwidth is concerned is upto 2 TB and that too at about $260. Given the rate at which I am growing I would need something for atleast 4-5 TB

LiquidWeb: Even though their base plan seem to show only $190 or so, when u add the essentials like automatic backup and cpanel it comes to $300

Jaguar PC: Same reason as wired tree. max seem to go only as far as 2TB with over use rates too expensive.

10 tb sounds interesting.
    You should always contact the hosts you are interested in for a custom quote. Most of the time, you get better pricing compared to their website prices.

Wud you recommend cloud hosting for me? 10 tb seem to have a few good options in the cloud front

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I've read of customers using even more on budget shared hosting account, and not just with Dreamhost. I recall of a Site5 customer using 5TB in a month (but not consistently). Such situations do remain the exception rather than the rule.

As for the way forward, if peace of mind would be the more important factor while also trying to not throw money out the window completely, I think I'd go for a managed dedicated in the $150-300 range. It should fit your needs and growth for a good while, and enable you to buy from a reputable provider.
    That 5TB was someone mixed up actually as that was a broken stat we had to fix

Thanks, Ben
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by bwb View Post
    That 5TB was someone mixed up actually as that was a broken stat we had to fix

Thanks, Ben
    So your saying I can't host youtube.com on your services? jk
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    So your saying I can't host youtube.com on your services? jk
    Hah, nah we actually host most of YouTube on a few of our shared boxes

btw, we don't often see clients push more than 800 to 1200 GB of data without causing resource usage problems in a shared hosting environment. Often they jump up to dedicated servers pretty quick unless its just a really well optimized site.

Thanks, Ben
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Can anyone tell me if cloud server would suit me? I thought 10 tb has some good offers on that.

Honestly what is the difference between a cloud and a typical shared hosting setu? I did try to look that up, but what i got has me more confused.

A cloud server is the same thing as a VPS. The term comes from the provisioning schemes of companies like VPS.net and Amazon.

So, to answer your question, the difference between a VPS/cloud server and shared hosting is that you have much more flexibility, and, provided your ISP doesn't oversell, much more performance. You will have full root access, dedicated memory (if you go with a xen-based solution), and a higher share of the CPU. You will be able to install whatever software you like in a VPS/Cloud server. Think of a VPS/Cloud Server as a dedicated machine with 3-5% performance overhead + shared CPU.

And yes, a cloud server would probably suit you.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution