Talking worst customer you dealt with?

hey allot of complains of web hosts.
    today web hosts are free to complain

ok share your experience of worst customer you got.
    why and what he did.

so worst customer you got is.....

Had one just this week enter a Ratepoint dispute with us because he went over his bandwidth so we asked him to upgrade to the next largest plan so his plan matched his usage. BAM hello Ratepoint dispute!
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Quote Originally Posted by 2Grumpy View Post
    Had one just this week enter a Ratepoint dispute with us because he went over his bandwidth so we asked him to upgrade to the next largest plan so his plan matched his usage. BAM hello Ratepoint dispute!
    The idea of a RatePoint dispute is to work the issue out in a mutually amicable way...

I guess you could always just generate an invoice for their over-usage?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Wont go into details for obvious reasons, but we had a customer who took legal action against us (and lost) because we stated we could only provide support in english...

A client who clearly needed a managed service, ie didn't know how to reboot their VPS even after we provided a tutorial on it... But wouldn't upgrade to a managed service. After 24 hours of hell, client messing up the server every few minutes then abuse on the server we suspended, refunded and sent him on his way.
    UK Based Hosting Company
    HWS Hosting

http://www.hwshosting.net
    We aim to please, open a ticket at sales@hwshosting.net

Quote Originally Posted by PCS-Chris View Post
    Wont go into details for obvious reasons, but we had a customer who took legal action against us (and lost) because we stated we could only provide support in english...
    Wow, some people have no lives.

*subscribes to this thread*
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by websiteguy View Post
    so worst customer you got is.....
    Years ago I worked for a small ISP. One guy managed to tie up all 4 of our phone lines harassing everyone in the office because his dialup line was so unreliable.

I had some real doozies while manning the tech support line for over 2 years but he was by far the worst.

I have a client (right now) that is being a tool because he agreed for me to code a site for him from a PSD to completion (PHP, MySQL, etc.)

I told him that he had 2 options, as he been late with payments in the past:
    1) Pay a deposit and I would develop the site on our servers, and move it over to his when he paid the balance.
    2) Pay in full beforehand, and I would code on his servers.

He paid the deposit (accept option 1), and is now refusing to give further input on the design (I need some idea as to what one of the pages will look like) until I move it over to his server.

He says it is a "matter of principle", I think he is out of his f*cking mind lol
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    I have a client (right now) that is being a tool because he agreed for me to code a site for him from a PSD to completion (PHP, MySQL, etc.)

I told him that he had 2 options, as he been late with payments in the past:
    1) Pay a deposit and I would develop the site on our servers, and move it over to his when he paid the balance.
    2) Pay in full beforehand, and I would code on his servers.

He paid the deposit (accept option 1), and is now refusing to give further input on the design (I need some idea as to what one of the pages will look like) until I move it over to his server.

He says it is a "matter of principle", I think he is out of his f*cking mind lol

That's what the deposit is for, tell him that it's his site, or to sign a piece of paper that said that YOUR decision is the correct one since he wont make it. Finish his site and sue him if he doesn't pay up.

Or, just stop development now and take the 1/2 up front . Depends on how far you've gotten ect..
    Cody McLain
    Founder of PacificHost / AptHost

Quote Originally Posted by ZinkHosting View Post
    That's what the deposit is for, tell him that it's his site, or to sign a piece of paper that said that YOUR decision is the correct one since he wont make it. Finish his site and sue him if he doesn't pay up.

Or, just stop development now and take the 1/2 up front . Depends on how far you've gotten ect..
    The thing is, he paid and agreed to my terms (never disagreed or complained until now). The last time I did a site for him, I waited 6 weeks for payment after the due date. Reminders resulted in messages saying I would have it tomorrow, and tomorrow was 6 weeks later.

I feel like just zipping up my files (the completed work so far, is only worth about the same amount as the deposit) and telling him to go elsewhere.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

this one guy wanted a refund of an invoice he paid months ago because his awstats weren't working properly (it was working, he just didn't think he could be having low traffic or something) - fun stuff.

not the worst for me but it pops out in my mind. ``

Best one i had was a client threaten to sue because we would not give SSH access to the server. But he was hosted on windows, no matter how many times we told him that he was on windows and SSH is not an option, he still wanted it. Spoke to a friend of his whom he got to contact us, and once the friend knew he was on windows he more or less told the client that he was thick. (note, it was the clients friend who told him he was thick, not us)
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    this one guy wanted a refund of an invoice he paid months ago because his awstats weren't working properly (it was working, he just didn't think he could be having low traffic or something) - fun stuff.

not the worst for me but it pops out in my mind. ``
    Did you refund him?

I luckily haven't had any bad customers yet. Just one guy threating to change hosts because he couldn't remember his password.

Quote Originally Posted by NolanCrutix View Post
    Did you refund him?

I luckily haven't had any bad customers yet. Just one guy threating to change hosts because he couldn't remember his password.
    no, it was way out of our refund policy and his reasoning was weak as well. he already moved his site out so I can only assume he was just trying to get what he can. But it was just a waste of time for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    no, it was way out of our refund policy and his reasoning was weak as well. he already moved his site out so I can only assume he was just trying to get what he can. But it was just a waste of time for everyone.
    Understandable. Some people are just ridiculous and they just really make you wonder what they could possibly be thinking. Especially after reading some of the things other users above posted.

Years ago, I gave a client 30 days notice to move his site off my server. He threatened to sue me because I wouldn't give him six months notice. I told him he'd lose, and if he wanted to open that can of worms I'd take him to court over the money he owed me for services rendered; which was quite allot at the time.

He was off my server within three days.

Ahaha I hate clients like that, I had a really bad VPS Client once. I hardened the balls off of his server and he wanted everything done within 10 mins and in the end I got fedup of him so I told him that I was very sorry but I didnt want him as a client any more and he came back saying that I was a bad host and he was going to come on here and post a really bad thread about me and I clearly stated to him that He would just get the mick taken out of him reason being that he just isnt patient enough. Sure enough he left and went to Sarora Hosting within 12 hours Lol.

- David Scheme

I'm not a fan of the "customer is always right" philosophy. I will not stand for abusive or unreasonable customers. I may lose a sale, but I will save in support costs, stress, and moral.

Money is nit the most important part of my business.

Now of course these aren't on the same level as the rest of you, but here's a few gems from my free hosting company I ran:

1)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Priority Technical Support Ticket
    Hey can you make my account limits unmetered space and bandwidth please.
    He was unhappy with my reply of "LoL, no." so asked that his account be deleted because 1GB of disk space and 10GB of bandwidth was so "restrictive".

2)
    I also received a request from a user to troubleshoot one of their PHP scripts for them. It's beyond the scope of the support we offered but I took a quick look anyways and the first line of code was "Nulled by...", sure enough he was using a nulled copy of vBulletin. He sent me an e-mail later asking why his IP couldn't connect to the help desk anymore.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by kbduvall View Post
    I'm not a fan of the "customer is always right" philosophy. I will not stand for abusive or unreasonable customers. I may lose a sale, but I will save in support costs, stress, and moral.
    Customers are not always right. Fact.

You should try to keep your customers happy, but some people are just unreasonable.

I had one customer who was so indecisive on what they wanted I dealt with these people for 3 weeks then they decided not to even go with us.

FACT!

Quote Originally Posted by expo09 View Post
    Customers are not always right. Fact.

You should try to keep your customers happy, but some people are just unreasonable.
    That is a very true statement. Almost like they want problems to occur.

Fortunately, we haven't had any customers that are *that* bad yet. Some are a little needy, some open tickets without checking network status pages, some bump their tickets.

To be honest, the most annoying customers we get are the fraudulent ones, which mostly seem to originate from WHT. When we suspend their account due to fraud flagging, they open a ticket along the lines of: "WTF y is my vps suddendly gon down?????". When we reply asking them to phone us (usually because the number they provide doesn't exist, is of somebody else's premesis, etc), or provide photo ID, they don't respond. Just a waste of time.
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.