HyperVM Source Code

Any one that has taken time to take a closer look at the HyperVM source code?

Release note is here:
    http://forum.lxcenter.org/index.php?...13296&start=0& btw it's released under AGPL3.0

I am guessing some people have, as there is a new update out a few hours ago I think.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

I had a look and I was amazed how bad that was. At least 7 or 8 libraries are embedded, and most (if not all) of them are totally outdated (what stunned me the most was Extjs in version 1). I posted about this in another thread.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post
    I had a look and I was amazed how bad that was.
    Ditto...
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    Ditto...
    What are you referring to here?

In printing:

* Ditto machine, a type of small printing press

In media and popular culture:

* Ditto (convention), an annual science fiction fanzine convention
    * Ditto (1937 film), a 1937 film starring Buster Keaton
    * Ditto (2000 film), a 2000 South Korean film
    * Ditto (Pokémon), a Pokémon species
    * Ditto (song), a song by American singer Cassie
    * Ditto, a character in the Ben 10 animated series
    * One of the twins in the comic strip Hi and Lois

People:

* Beth Ditto (born 1981), singer of American band The Gossip
    * J. Kane Ditto, former mayor of Jackson, Mississippi

Other:

* Ditto mark (", 〃 or do.; Unicode: U+3003) meaning "repeat the above information here"
    * Ditto drive, an Iomega tape drive
    * Ditto suit, an early precursor of the lounge suit
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost View Post
    What are you referring to here?
    * Ditto mark (", 〃 or do.; Unicode: U+3003) meaning "repeat the above
    Would be my guess

I wonder if it would have just been better for them to start again instead of try fix the old code?
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

In my view HyperVM has had its day, they needed to act a lot quicker than they have done if they wanted to even begin to salvage a small portion of their client base. Waiting around as long as they did has only damaged the reputation of the software further.
    UK Based Hosting Company
    HWS Hosting

http://www.hwshosting.net
    We aim to please, open a ticket at sales@hwshosting.net

Quote Originally Posted by hertzwebsolutions View Post
    In my view HyperVM has had its day, they needed to act a lot quicker than they have done if they wanted to even begin to salvage a small portion of their client base. Waiting around as long as they did has only damaged the reputation of the software further.
    And now it's finally open people (including me) are asking: How on earth did they survive with code this bad?

Personally I'm going to salvage as much as I can, seeing if I can get something up that's compatible with HyperVM... but without any of the cruft.

I'm not even going to attempt to touch kloxo/lxadmin.

The sad thing is there are still all kinds of hosts out there using Lxadmin/Kloxo and doing nothing at all to secure their systems. I decided to give it a quick try with the last update to see just how secure it is now. I must have been kidding myself.

From the day the VPS went online the site was hacked within 24 hours. The host did nothing at all to harden the system which is seemingly typical. Turning on iptables, locking down directories - nothing seemed to do any good because the hackers just kept coming in time and time again.

My assumption is this - if a host offers Lxadmin/Kloxo in any way shape or form not only avoid that VPS service but their company as a whole because they'd have to be friggin idiots to run this junk.

Quote Originally Posted by megarock View Post
    My assumption is this - if a host offers Lxadmin/Kloxo in any way shape or form not only avoid that VPS service but their company as a whole because they'd have to be friggin idiots to run this junk.
    You forget that many good/reputable hosts jumped onto the lxadmin bandwaggon while it was closed source and there was an appearance of security.

Then the hacks come out, the rest of us start auditing it too and realize what a steaming pile it is internally. But that doesn't change the fact that all their VPS customers are now using it and everything's picked up enough momentum that moving away is *painful* to do on such a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by drspliff View Post
    You forget that many good/reputable hosts jumped onto the lxadmin bandwaggon while it was closed source and there was an appearance of security.
    Who knows about other closed source panel currently in the wild... Seriously, has any of them had been audited?

Quote Originally Posted by drspliff View Post
    But that doesn't change the fact that all their VPS customers are now using it and everything's picked up enough momentum that moving away is *painful* to do on such a scale.
    Well, we are now nearly 5 months after the issue. What to think about people that didn't finish the migration in that long period of time?

Thomas

While there are certain vps servers still running lxadmin/kloxo despite providers notice on security issues (if they announced any), provider is not the one to blame.

However you can still see providers offering possibilty to provision lxadmin/kloxo images on their VPSs, and this is something to account when judging their professionalism.

I still use Kloxo on a couple of VPSs or at customer request.. it's a manual install on top of CentOS intead of the HiB image
    Anthony
    http://www.hostedplanet.com
    Hosting for Everyone
    Shared Hosting and Virtual Private Servers with friendly support

We did some testing and amazing found that, now, all licenses are free.
    It works.

You can create hypervm and kloxo license easily from their client site, https://client.lxlabs.com:5557/
    eFree2net.com - Hosting provider Since 2000
    Shared Hosting - VPS - Cloud Solutions - Dedicated Servers

It's been free for a few months... Still don't recommend it and don't care what other say about it being secured and safe... Ya ok..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kloxo
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by efree2net View Post
    We did some testing and amazing found that, now, all licenses are free.
    Man, please don't write it this way. Write "free of charge" or "available for everyone" not just "licenses are free" as this is very confusing in English.

In the eyes of many, including all people that are working in Debian, just having to report your installation make it non-free. The way it's currently managed, kloxo / hypervm can't be considered free software.

Thomas