Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Green Web Hosting?

What are your thoughts on Green Web Hosting companies, because I myself have setup a small business providing green web hosting for an affordable price, but just wanted to know what ways of advertising I should use, and whether you are bothered about whether it helps the planet or not.

I don't necessarily look specifically for 'green' web hosting. However, if my provider is 'green' then I guess it can be considered a nice plus.

Are they truly "green" though? Most companies say they are green but what they are really doing is offsetting their energy use by buying wind certificates or credits. They aren't truly wind powered. Does that make them green?

Quote Originally Posted by Underrated_Admin View Post
    Are they truly "green" though? Most companies say they are green but what they are really doing is offsetting their energy use by buying wind certificates or credits. They aren't truly wind powered. Does that make them green?
    It still contributes to the cause in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    It still contributes to the cause in my opinion.
    I agree - Every little bit counts!
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee U.S.A Based & Operated
    Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

I could relate with igxhost, I never make it as a requirement for a host to be green or even just I thought of trying to look for one, but if one happens to be then it's a plus and would make me feel better choosing them over the others.

good questions. Host gator says they offer Green Hosting, they show wind turbines. So are you saying that they may only have the certificate and not really wind turbines?

I do everything I can to promote eco green anything. I have to believe that every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by zippey View Post
    good questions. Host gator says they offer Green Hosting, they show wind turbines. So are you saying that they may only have the certificate and not really wind turbines?
    wondering the same.

It seems the world is going green nowadays. I think things that are 'green' in everyday products is big, but i do not think it has quite catched on with web hosting and i don't think it will. I look for many things in hosting providers and weather they are 'green' or not is on the bottom of my list.

the real mean going green?

I do everything I can to promote eco green anything. I have to believe that every little bit helps.
    right every bit count

yeah that's actually true. im with you.

In the UK I wonder if it would be possible to run your data with http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/ as your power supplier. That would in theory make you one of the greenest hosts - they spend as much of your bill as possible on building wind farms and all that kind of thing Something to think about for anyone in the UK perhaps?
    Toby
    Xeo Solutions - Discovering Innovation
    Managed Service Provider & Cloud Hosting | Launching Late August 2019

I'm with the others. Green services aren't a requirement of mine. However if both providers are offering the same level of service and product, and one is providing green services I would consider them over the provider that is not.
    HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

Anything that can be done to be more green is a bonus, and is one of the things I would take into consideration. I suppose the very nature of web hosting means that you can never be completely green, but you can be more green.

Just out of interest, in what areas are you green?

Yes, they only buy credits. But think about it, if all hosting companies support such notion, then there will be more utility companies setting up to harness natural resources for electricity. Still a good cause.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm with the others. Green services aren't a requirement of mine. However if both providers are offering the same level of service and product, and one is providing green services I would consider them over the provider that is not.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ne4...ayer_embedded#
    Anonymous Web Hosting - https://www.vindohosting.com
    Anonymous Hosting - All Contents - 100% Privacy Guaranteed

my new hosting company uses the idea of planting new tree's every year to conterbalance the ommission, i guess its a way of being as carbon neutralised as possible without lying and buying a fake certificate like someone previously mentioned

They buy energy credits and IMO they are virtually worthless. It doesn't show that the company is actually doing anything to lessen it's environmental impact, they are just buying a clean conscience.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdigi View Post
    Yes, they only buy credits. But think about it, if all hosting companies support such notion, then there will be more utility companies setting up to harness natural resources for electricity.
    Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that, as most energy companies aren't actually investing much money in new renewable power generation. The energy credits are just counted against the existing renewable generation from long established sources such as hydro, of which there's little new stuff being brought online.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby H View Post
    In the UK I wonder if it would be possible to run your data with http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/ as your power supplier. That would in theory make you one of the greenest hosts - they spend as much of your bill as possible on building wind farms and all that kind of thing Something to think about for anyone in the UK perhaps?
    Ecotricity are a world leader and they invest more in new renewable generation than all the other UK energy companies combined, a lot more in fact!

We use Ecotricity for all our UK based activities, but for our hosting servers use the world's first custom built fully solar powered data centre that's in California. Then on top of that we plant an increasing number of tree each year, actively work to continually reduce our consumption of resources and follow the R > R > R ethos (Reduce/Reuse/Recycle). Find out more here

So there's a lot more to simply buying energy credits if a company actually wants to be green, rather than just slapping the words "Green" and a few images of windmills or trees on their website and hoping no one looks deeper to see what they do
    Lightbeing Creations - Solar Powered Websites
    Solar powered green web hosting

21. can you explain more about green hosting?

22. i am just a beginner in web designing and IT also.plz help.

Hostgator purchases Renewable Energy Certificates (REC's) from 3degreesinc.com. Most companies, just about all of them, buy some form of credits. In my opinion this should be considered green because the credits are used to setup green projects such as tree planting, methane extractors, or green forms of power such as wind turbines. Therefore, the carbon hostgator emits is offset by the trees they funded to be planted.
    // Real Web Technologies, Inc. - www.rwebtech.com
    John Rodstrom - Chief Executive Officer - J.Rodstrom@rwebtech.com
    Web Design, Development & Hosting

If you really think about it, People don't care if your a green host or not, They care about there service and files. They make sure you have great support and great servers.

Green Web Hosting is a plus.
    Most green hosting companies are powered by wind energy.
    Affordable hosting , Fast & Reliable host by Hostneverdie Web Hosting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast