Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited

Unlimited

Whats everyones option on Unlimited?

e.g Unlimited diskspace and bandwidth for Ł15.99+ a month

Low priced packages get limits however if you pay a premium, i think unlimited is fair.
    NationhostUK - International Hosting Provider
    UK, US & Asia based servers - Shared, VPS & Dedi
    LancasterSecure - Secure Online Solutions
    www.lancastersecure.co.uk - 01934 310013

Normally if anyone gives unlimited, most of the users will be using less space. So the average usage will not be really "unlimited"

Nothing is unlimited. Its a glib statement but its true. at some point somebody will try and use what is on offer, and at that point it ceases to actually be unlimited therefore it shouldn't be advertised as being so.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Are you getting unlimited anything from the DC?

Make sure you have proper TOS clauses so say Google doesn't try to move over its stuff to your server. Really, unlimited reseller hosting is dangerous stuff.

All I can say to unlimited reseller accounts is:

A. Don't actually expect unlimited.
    B. Make frequent off-site backups.
    C. Don't be surprised if the provider disappears overnight.

This also applies to many other unlimited shared web hosts. Hostgator and a few others being the exception, not the rule.

My opinion is that "unlimited" reseller providers are often unstable and/or unreliable. Even more so if it's low priced.

Find out what the cpu allowance is. All hosts, unlimited or not will at some point have a restriction on cpu burden regardless of space and bandwith.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

There's really no such thing as unlimited disk space, and unlimited bandwidth. If you cost the company 150/mo in bandwidth, and they are only getting 15/mo from you, you wont be there very long. Best suggestion is finding a provider that has packages that will fit your requirements.

I would use unlimited hosting for myself maybe, deppending on the site but I would never use it for any of my clients.

This whole unlimited thing is silly, we have all spent so much time spiritedly discussing and debating the logistics of a marketing gimmick.

Dave

in reseller hosting unlimited webspace does not exist.

how ever in shared hosting it does but make sure you do your maths correctly or else your company will die over night

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    Find out what the cpu allowance is. All hosts, unlimited or not will at some point have a restriction on cpu burden regardless of space and bandwith.
    Also they limit things like RAM per process and inode (file handle) counts.

I recommend against unlimited offerings.
    => • Admo.net Managed Hosting •
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

So many threads on this topic.
    If you want to know definitely what it means.
    Try this, from bluehost,very detailed in their TOS on point 7.HERE
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

Read the TOS, contact the host and get it clear, of what you are paying for. Most of the time unlimited = unmetered. Nothing in unlimited! Only... the space (maybe)

Unlimited and Unmetered only refers to FAIR USAGE...

All companies that oversell have a clause that is totally against the customer.

It's roughly the same clause as everywhere. The difference is in how often they have to use it. You can only get what you're paying for especially CPU/memory wise, so $5 will get you $5 worth of service, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustaHost-UK View Post
    Unlimited and Unmetered only refers to FAIR USAGE...

lol all companies over sell. if they dont over sell a plan with these specs 10 gb hdd/ 25 gb bandwidth will cost all most 25 dollars a month. and then no one will buy your service because for 5 dollars more they can get a vps.

I suggest you stay away from hosts who offer unlimited packages, unless you are looking for downtime.

One of my clients was kicked off a few "unlimited" before they came to me. There old host said they was useing too much bandwidth, they came to me and we gave them a set amount of bandwidth and they have no problem at all.
    Woof Hosting - Shared Hosting
    Friendly Staff | 256-Bit SSL Encryption!

Quote Originally Posted by WoofHosting View Post
    One of my clients was kicked off a few "unlimited" before they came to me. There old host said they was useing too much bandwidth, they came to me and we gave them a set amount of bandwidth and they have no problem at all.
    how much bandwidth. They dont kick you of for bandwidth usage. usually cpu usage and you cant really regulate cpu usage on the server.

I wish they sold dedicated servers as unlimited hard drive space with unlimited mbps ports and unlimited tech support and unlimited cpu gigahertz processor and unlimited ram available.
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
    I wish they sold dedicated servers as unlimited hard drive space with unlimited mbps ports and unlimited tech support and unlimited cpu gigahertz processor and unlimited ram available.
    Call it the "god" server. All powerful, and infinite!

Unlimited is just silly

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert View Post
    unlimited tech support
    Unless you are demanding things out side the scope of support, support is kind of unlimited . Though out side the scope of support can be considered as a limit there also.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    • Solid Support • Solid Equipment • Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Steer clear of unlimited. Have you ever heard of a unlimited hard drive for your computer? It's really a marketing technique to get people in. Their TOS will / should outline this.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Unless you are demanding things out side the scope of support, support is kind of unlimited . Though out side the scope of support can be considered as a limit there also.
    Open up a hundred tickets per day. No matter what, the reality is, nothing is unlimited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast