Question Any ded hosts gonna use 100 core CPU?

Any dedicated server web hosts going to use the new 100 core CPU that is available next year?:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ay.beat.intel/

"The 100-core chip should be available by early 2010 and will already support x86 apps through recompiling code, though fully native support isn't expected in the foreseeable future"

That could be a big issue right there for such use.
    NodePlex - Powerful and Customizable Dedicated Servers
    Experienced Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    EasyPro - Professional Website Builder
    The tools and performance you need to build stunning websites

According to my one professor, the more cores, the more unstable a computer becomes. He explained it in detailed high-tech talk, so I'm not going to even attempt to repeat it. haha

My point: I wouldn't trust it.
    Loop Internet
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet and Colocation
    99.999% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

That is amazing. If the price were cheap enough, it could be a monster VPS server!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilAgg View Post
    That is amazing. If the price were cheap enough, it could be a monster VPS server!
    Disk I/O is probably going to brutally murder the monster though

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension4 View Post
    "The 100-core chip should be available by early 2010 and will already support x86 apps through recompiling code, though fully native support isn't expected in the foreseeable future"

I agree with this.. except:

If one were to develop a web server that utilized everyone of the cores of the CPU, it could effectively use scripting languages such as php or perl.. And i'm sure python applications could be coded to utilize them all as well. (Ruby, tcl, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Disk I/O is probably going to brutally murder the monster though
    Yeah, you are going to need some massively fast SAN with the ability to handle many simultaneous request to make it work.

Well its like every car company has a concept car, but its always in concept and never seen on road.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Hiveon View Post
    According to my one professor, the more cores, the more unstable a computer becomes. He explained it in detailed high-tech talk, so I'm not going to even attempt to repeat it. haha

This new CPU Model shouldn't have that problem, at least that's what I got from the article.

It'll be skipping the bus part and setup a new thingy, network, w/e. Didn't really gasp it either

I don't know why he would say such a thing - he's either mistaken, or you've misunderstood what he was saying.

Parallelism issues aside (i.e. that a task has to be massively parallel to warrant having so many cores) There's nothing inherently wrong with having more cores. How many computing cores do you think a modern graphics card has?
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Once someone gets Debian running on that new architecture I will give this tech a second glance. Till then, vaporware.
    Cyber Wurx - Dedicated Server and Co-location Provider since 1997
    Data center fully owned and operated with 24/7 ONSITE Support
    Remote Reboots, KVM, custom bandwidth alerting system and more!
    www.cyberwurx.com or sales@cyberwurx.com

Quote Originally Posted by IPStrada LLC View Post
    Well its like every car company has a concept car, but its always in concept and never seen on road.

They'll come out with it, there are no doubts about that, this is the IT world isn't it?
    Not sure what to put here :-P

Intel already said like a year ago they could make a 100 core CPU. But they said they wont due it since software/OS's wont support it.
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

multi-core processing is something that is intense... I went to a speech by an MIT professor about this topic and at one point, we will be reaching the limit of how fast we can switch.... This ideology takes Ansi-C forking to a new level that may have simply a feedback-inhibition tactic that at one point become counter productive.

I would much rather see multi-core architecture grow in other routes that allow cores to be task specific.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Intel already demoed their 80 Core system. I would love to get my hands on one of those.

CNET:
    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1006_3-6119618.html
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97uSsjjoSNM

The 80 core system sounds impressive.

If you have an 8 way AMD Six-Core you can have 48 cores, thats the maximum within reach of the general public I believe.

Would definitely love to have 2U - 4U system with 8 x Six core, 128 GB ram, and like 8 x 1 TB SSD. Host many hundreds of VPS no problem. I'll keep dreaming of this day.

Supermicro has a 2U system that will house 8 AMD six core Opterons and redundant power supplies -- Its called their 2U Twin.

I don't think you will ever see that chip in a vps or dedicated box. It's more geared towards research, scientific, and very specific purposes.

Another show stopper is that your software has to be written/re-written to take advantage of parallel processing. This is not only impossible for some problem sets but also highly improbable for related problem sets due to the nature of the work... It's incredibly difficult coding, and debugging (which can be 80% of the software project) becomes magnitudes more complex.
    Last edited by TowerOfPower; 10-28-2009 at 10:33 PM.

so what operating system would run on it? CentOS? RedHat? would php and mysql work? would apache/lighttpd/nginx work?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension4 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    I don't know why he would say such a thing - he's either mistaken, or you've misunderstood what he was saying.

Parallelism issues aside (i.e. that a task has to be massively parallel to warrant having so many cores) There's nothing inherently wrong with having more cores. How many computing cores do you think a modern graphics card has?
    No, he was just saying the more you have, the more prone it is to becoming unstable. He said, if you had a graphics card with 3,000 cores, you would probably only get to play on it for about 3-4 hours before it shut down on you. He's a professor for the parallel processing department. I might have missed a statement in between there somewhere, (in blah blah blah conditions, etc), but that's what I got out of it.
    Loop Internet
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet and Colocation
    99.999% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Having more COres is good but the software should be able to make use of the Cores in an effective manner.
    Also how many bits is this processor ?
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

here's their official website:

http://www.tilera.com/products/TILE-Gx.php

it's 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Having more COres is good but the software should be able to make use of the Cores in an effective manner.
    Also how many bits is this processor ?

not cores, but threads: http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthrea...0/features.xml

The Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 server integrates 256 threads across 32 processing cores backed by up to 512 GB of memory in just a 4RU package. Yet, it has up to 9x fewer parts and is just one-fifth the cost of competitive systems. Faster. Cooler. Highly reliable and economical. It's scalability you can afford, across every dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerHitch View Post
    The 80 core system sounds impressive.
    In the video, he says they're FPU's built using stacked SRAM... relatively simple compared to a general purpose processor, and probably built for a very specific purpose (if they were even more than a test wafer).

EDIT: The TILE-Gx does look to be a general purpose CPU, but running x86 in an emulation layer would have applications take a big performance hit. Unless the sheer number of cores could overcome? In any case, they are VLIW (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_long_instruction_word) architecture processors, not CISC like our modern x86(-64) processors. Not sure how it compares, but worth watching!
    Last edited by Enteligent-Rob; 10-29-2009 at 02:47 PM.

I can see this useful for say shared windows hosting. As each website can be placed in a dedicated application pool, then those could each be assigned to a core.