Help!! Hosting/Permissions Problem

Hi

My web designers need to change permissions on certain files on my website. However my web hosting company said they could not do this on Windows servers and advised that my web designers switch to a Linux server. My web designers have said their entire system is based on a Windows server and they won't overhaul their entire system to Linux just for my website.

AHHHH what do I do? I've emailed several UK hosting companies and I can't find anyone good who can allow change of permissions on a windows server. I'm currently with Streamline.net hosting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I'm not sure what kind of control panel is provided by your web host but changing permissions should be possible through control panel on Windows server - I am aware that DotNetPanel and Plesk does allow this.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

It has been a while since I have worked with a windows server, but if I recall yes the server sets the permissions pretty much automatically.

hi there,

I am wandering through you host: streamline.net and I could not find any information about the Control Panel they are using. On most occassion, your current host should provide a control panel where you can easily modify the folder permission.

I am using Plesk Panel with ***********.EU and as what Ricks said before, this control panel allows me to adjust the folder permission without any hassles.

I have not tried DotNetPanel yet, but I have had a chance to preview the demo directly. It is a nice control panel, but at this stage, I prefer Plesk panel due to its abundance features.

Hope this helps.

Some applicaton will have linux-sounding requirements, such as chmod settings. These can be translated into corresponding windows permissions.

Tell us your request that your current host could not fulfill
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

I suppose that could be erasiely done in help of the diffrent FTP clients

You need to go to the file maneger and chance the permissions for the files you need. I assume that is not a problem at all to do that
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

^ Thats what my web designers are saying however my hosting company says it is not possible on a windows server. I have contacted several other companies and they are also saying the same thing that they cannot do this for windows servers.

Thank yo for all your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Some applicaton will have linux-sounding requirements, such as chmod settings. These can be translated into corresponding windows permissions.

Tell us your request that your current host could not fulfill
    My request was just to allow write permissions on about 10 files. But my hosting company told me they couldn't do this unless my web designers changed to a Linux server!

That's just plain wrong. Something is not right here.

Was it write permission on ten of your files? Or was this access to system files you needed?

^ write permissions I believe.

Something is definately wrong! I just don't know what. Every hosting company I contact say they cannot allow changing of permissions on a windows server. Perhaps I'm not explaining things correctly and have got the wrong end of the stick.

My web designer said the following:

"Of course the requested permissions can be added on a windows environment. We run a windows based hosting environment for all of our websites and we regularly change permissions on the site files.

All they need to do is locate the files, right click, go to properties, then security then add the requested permissions on the files"

Does this make sense to anyone?

Your designer is correct. If you emailed your request, why don't you show it to us. I am sure one of us will see the problem. If you didn't email the request, try again with an email so you can get it all in writing for analysis

^ The request was simply to "allow write permissions" on certain files such as the sitemap.

I contacted my hosting company again and they said this:

"You can change the file's permission through FTP and if you are on a LINUX server. You cannot change the permission if your server type is Windows."

What does this mean?

"You can change the file's permission through FTP and if you are on a LINUX server. You cannot change the permission if your server type is Windows."

What does this mean?
    It simply means that on Linux you can chmod file or folder permissions using your FTP client. On windows boxes you may have to contact support and have them change the permissions for you. Not sure why they simply don't change the permissions for you on the files you specify. I am assuming you NEED to be in a Windows hosting environment?

^ Thanks makes sense. Your absolutely right I do NEED to be in a Windows Hosting Environment because that's the system my Web Designers are working in and they won't overhaul their entire system to Linux just for my website to be completed.

Can anyone recommend any hosting companies that will allow for change of permissions on a Windows server?

Quote Originally Posted by Defined View Post
    What does this mean?
    In simple terms, this means that you need to find yourself a new host that understands its way around Windows hosting
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com

Something is off here for sure, permissions can be set on a windows server.

Have you solved the issue yet?

Changing permissions to make a file writable is pretty easy to do, but some sysadmins are leary of doing it especially on windows systems (and especially depending on what experience with security they have). And in the future, don't select technologies that are limited to one hosting system, especially a proprietary one.

Lol thanks for your help guys.

The only solution I can find is to switch my hosting to another company that does know its way around a windows server! I'll have to transfer my entire website over and seeing as I'm annoyed I will probably transfer my domains over too.

Streamline.net should be able to do this, As they are owned by Fasthosts now (aka United Internet - 1&1 ) However, i would not recommend them.

What spec hosting do you require (e.g space and bandwidth needed - software and platform needed) as we have a couple of windows servers but space is in short supply so we may be able to help.

We should be getting more windows based servers shortly.
    NationhostUK - International Hosting Provider
    UK, US & Asia based servers - Shared, VPS & Dedi
    LancasterSecure - Secure Online Solutions
    www.lancastersecure.co.uk - 01934 310013

Just out of curiosity, are you trying to change permissions to include executable on a file?

You could perhaps just go with a Windows VPS where you would have full control?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    You could perhaps just go with a Windows VPS where you would have full control?
    I think getting a VPS was outside his budget.

Most ftp programs allow you to change the permisions. Try filezilla.

You can ask you provider ( windows webhosting company ) to modify the permission(s) manually , Must of the windows hosting are like this ,