* Wholesale Internet - Hamsters and Free Love

I'm sure quite a lot of you have heard of Wholesale Internet. Well about two months ago, I decided to work on developing an off-site location for my services just in case something ever were to go wrong.

I asked a few questions prior to ordering and all were answered promptly and best part of it is. It was a Sunday!

I have been with Wholesale Internet for about a month and I still remember the title of the thread Get a hamster and free love. I sure did get my hamster and a whole lots of love. A Celeron D 2.66Ghz, 1GB, 80GB with DirectAdmin all for $32 a month, what a deal!

Setup of the server was pretty quick, within 24 hrs of paying the invoice (since I had a minor mishap with my CC) and it did take some time getting used to DA since I'm used to cPanel, but I was up and running my sites within 2 days after setup.

Network has been stable so far and has had no noticeable problems yet. My server hasn't gone down once since setup and I hope to keep it up.

I have to say I'm impressed and if you want a hamster with free love Wholesale Internet definitely has it!

www.wabuf.com for verification
    Nothing here right now.

I don't get it?

What's the hamster connection?

I'm guessing because a hamster runs inside a wheel non stop, just like their servers?

Quote Originally Posted by JG View Post
    I don't get it?

What's the hamster connection?
    In the tags of their promotion they put hamsters and free love

Wholesale is definitely very good - have also used them in the past. I'd like to see them add some more carriers though is my only fault with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
    In the tags of their promotion they put hamsters and free love
    I figured that. But what does that mean? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by JG View Post
    I figured that. But what does that mean? Am I missing something?
    Not missing anything

It was just a general joke, a conversation started, a bit of a laugh

So when people search for free love or hamsters - they refer to Wholesale

Have you received free range hamsters or golden hamsters? In the end, this makes a huge difference as free range hamsters run much faster. And what kind of love was part of the package? Platonic love or passionate love with sweat all around? The last one runs with at least 15k revolutions per minute which is good for any database operation...

Glad to hear that you are happy with them. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Keep us updated again.

I would agree with what the op said.... not about the hampsters lmao...I mean about wholesale internet providing good service and uptime etc.

they were my first ever dedicated hosting provider about 4-5 years ago.

moved because I was targeting an audience closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
    Have you received free range hamsters or golden hamsters? In the end, this makes a huge difference as free range hamsters run much faster. And what kind of love was part of the package? Platonic love or passionate love with sweat all around? The last one runs with at least 15k revolutions per minute which is good for any database operation...
    lol.... can you keep going on with that story.

We have a few servers at wholesale for monitoring our systems from outside.

They're mostly a cogent reseller and they have a decent facility. Unfortunately the only thing that causes me a bit of hesitation is their secretary made changes to the switches when we first brought in our outside monitoring servers. No change management and not performed inside maintenance windows.

So far uptime has been excellent but cooling seemed sparse as the room our servers were in was a bit warm.

Overall they are a good colo facility but it seemed that their procedures and controls need a bit of beefing up.

Also they do a lot of free-standing servers on wire racks. Full racks need to be ordered ahead of time and I would say (from taking the tour) that more than half of their total DC space is consumed with regular tower PC's.

Their data center is about 5-6K sq ft. if I had to guess. Not the largest in the area but certainly enough to make themselves known in the Kansas City area.

Their network picks up bandwidth from Cogent (located inside the Bryant building) and I believe the pick up some bandwidth from AFS (American Fiber Systems)

So far their service is good, a bit scary when our switchports were configured, and a bit too warm for my liking but overall pretty nice.

I give them a B- for procedures and controls and an A for uptime.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

what i know

what i know is, they didn't reply my sales query since 2+ days.

Don't know what support i will get if i order.
    God is Great

yeah, I'm with them too for this month.. and very happy with them, they are great..
    * hrproteam - high resolution multimedia
    * hosting, advertising, designing, company branding
    * click here to know more about us

Quote Originally Posted by all-expert View Post
    what i know is, they didn't reply my sales query since 2+ days.

Don't know what support i will get if i order.
    if you didn't receive a reply then we didn't get it. Send it to me directly.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

They're mostly a cogent reseller and they have a decent facility. Unfortunately the only thing that causes me a bit of hesitation is their secretary made changes to the switches when we first brought in our outside monitoring servers. No change management and not performed inside maintenance windows.
    Actually our Unite (Level3) commit is almost twice our KCIX (cogent) commit. We use KCIX, Unite and AFS as our transit providers. We also have private peering with most of the other local DCs.

Our "secretary" (I assume you're referring to Rebecca) is Cisco certified and has a degree in Computer Information Systems. Part of her job is to make changes to the switches and routers. You were just lucky that you were already a few steps up in our change management process so you didn't have to jump through a lot of hoops. We like to be efficient that way.

So far uptime has been excellent but cooling seemed sparse as the room our servers were in was a bit warm.
    Yes. That room is at 72. A little warmer then we'd like it but well within norms. We just added additional cooling in the dedicated area bring the total cooling capacity to 240 tons with an additional 200 tons slated for the new 14th floor expantion.

Also they do a lot of free-standing servers on wire racks. Full racks need to be ordered ahead of time and I would say (from taking the tour) that more than half of their total DC space is consumed with regular tower PC's.

Their data center is about 5-6K sq ft. if I had to guess. Not the largest in the area but certainly enough to make themselves known in the Kansas City area.
    The 10th floor facility is 12,000 sq ft. Of that, the area your colo is in is only 1200 sq ft. The rest is offices, network, power and dedicated servers.

In addition we have a little over 2000 sq ft on the 9th floor for additional power systems and we just picked up the whole 14th floor for another 10,000 sq ft because the 10th floor is just about full.

I give them a B- for procedures and controls and an A for uptime.
    We always appreciate all feedback, both good and bad. We're always looking to improve.

We ALWAYS take suggestions seriously. We just had a large advertising firm here in town come to us with stories of how crappy thier current provider was. "If only you guys could do PCI complience for us." No problem, 30 days and it'll be in place. Our growth is always driven by our customers.

The largest hosting company in the world toured every facility in Kansas City looking for a place for thier offsite backups. They went with us. We must be doing something right.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Quote Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
    Not missing anything

It was just a general joke, a conversation started, a bit of a laugh

So when people search for free love or hamsters - they refer to Wholesale
    I actually thought WSI was giving out free hamsters if I bought a server I was like wtf. lol

Aaron,

First off we really enjoy the service provided and look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

We've had our fill of Unite and are well aware of the service they provide or have failed to provide. I hope your experience with them is much better than ours.

As far as my comments about Rebecca. She was the one I always talked to and the one that let me in. I believed her to be the secretary for the facility, oops. I have no doubts of her capability but, at any rate, change management is necessary and it shocked me that changes were being made during the day to distribution switches that could have affected other clients in the rack. Also the switch she was working on was a d-link :-) I appreciate the efficiency and ability she had to get our server online. I just worry that might sacrifice other clients connectivity in the future.

As for infrastructure, I appreciate the improvements but would also like to provide feedback on the in-rack power supply. It would be nice to have hooked up to a power strip that was not zip tied to the rack. I get that you get what you pay for but that left a little strange feeling after seeing it :-)

I had no idea of your expansions. Can I schedule a time to come see your facility and possibly locate some additional servers with you?

I agree you are doing things right ;-) no question there. I enjoyed my visit to the small facility.

I would require 220 power and to talk about bandwidth pricing. I believe I have talked to you before about the numbers.

Please contact me here and I will provide contact information or use the email on file for my account.

I am looking forward to talking to you.

P.S.
    Here is a graph showing the great uptime (only small downtime, shown in read) that we've experienced with WII. This downtime was probably on one side or the other and doesn't necessarily mean it was WII.

Cheers!
    Uptime/QoS Graph

Aaron,

Also can you tell me if this is 20A 220 or 120v?
    http://www.wholesaleinternet.com/colospecials.php

Quote Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
    Hilarious. I LOLed.

Thanks to the OP making me aware of WSI! I will consider renting a small server there during the next months...

But coming back to the Hamsters:
    Many providers try to tell you that "Free Range Hamsters" (FRH) and "Golden Hamsters" (GH) are from the same server family and were just differently labeled. That is simply not right. They have a different clocking (FRH beats the GH here big time) and - often overseen, but important - the huge discrepancy in cheek pouch capacity:
    Bigger cheek pouch = Better I/O performance = Faster Service.
    But I am very sure you recieved a FRH from WSI as they seem to run a good business. Have you ever benchmarked your Hamster? It would be interesting to compare it to my Guinea Pig that I use right now as backup solution.

Sorry, could not resist to get OT. Will stop that immediately. Promised. But Hamsters always attract my attention. Cannot help it...