Dedicated server in Europe area.

Hi all,

I'm sorry that I'm being like everyone else that just comes in here and asks questions! I am, however, in the market for a dedicated server and this seems like a good place to come for advice.

I'm specifically looking for a server in the European area since I am from South Africa. The reason being they will be more or less in the same timezone as I am and they also generally provide the fastest ping times (220ms to a server in Europe as opposed to 350ms to a server in USA).

I will be using the server as our own hosting space and hopefully be able to rent a monthly license for Parallels Plesk so that I may be able to resell hosting space - this is the primary reason for the dedicated server. I would like to know whether getting at least a quad core for this setup is essential or if I can get away with a dual core (in the case of hosting say 50 - 100 different websites).

So far I have been looking at keyweb.de which has a dual-core setup at 79euro installation fee and 49euro monthly fee. Their quad-core setup is 99euro installation and 59euro monthly. One drawback is it seems that they don't install Ubuntu linux (which is the OS i'm after). Another one is that their website isn't very intuitive - I cannot see whether it is possible to bundle Plesk with my order. I do however like the fact that they generally allow torrents.

Can anyone else recommend me to a company that will have a service that may apply to me?

Thanks!

Presumably since your after Ubuntu and your budget your looking for unmanaged ?

Take a look at www.poundhost.com they do unmanaged servers in the UK.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Yes I am quite happy with an unmanaged server. Poundhost looks decent, will they allow torrents?

I don't know what type of sites you are going to host but, I have successfully hosted around 400 sites on a Celeron, 512 MB ram, years ago.

Netdirekt has great prices on servers.

Wow, netdirekt really is cheap. Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by jabalsad View Post
    Yes I am quite happy with an unmanaged server. Poundhost looks decent, will they allow torrents?
    I can tell you straight away that unfortunatley you are going to really struggle to find a UK provider who allows torrents.

You would be better off looking for something in Germany/The Netherlands

That's okay. Torrents is a bonus but not a prerequisite

You people should mention Luxembourg more often. Our country has some interesting dedicated server providers as well. Probably not as many as in the Netherlands, but it's a good hub between UK (Linx), NL (AMS-IX) and DE (DE-CIX)... just my 2 cents... :-)
    • Dedicated Servers in Europe and Asia: http://www.server.lu
    SINGAPORE and LUXMBOURG Servers with IPMI
    • Peering @ AMS-IX, DE-CIX, LINX, FRANCE-IX, EQUINIX SINGAPORE-PARIS-ASHBURN-CHICAGO-DALLAS-PALO ALTO-LOS ANGELES and LU-CIX •

Have you considered any options in the United States?
    Whitney Godard - Account Manager
    SingleHop Inc. - www.singlehop.com Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 107

Well, I sortof state in my first post that I get better response time to EU servers which is why I don't consider the USA

Quote Originally Posted by jabalsad View Post
    Well, I sortof state in my first post that I get better response time to EU servers which is why I don't consider the USA
    Do you require support?

Well I'm entirely new to this kind of thing, so I'm not exactly sure what kind of support we're looking at? Like I said, I can manage operating system myself (install all necessary applications, etc.) but I suppose if the hardware breaks I can't do much because I'm on another side of the world So in that case I hope they will provide some kind of support but I just figured its a given.

Of course, if there's a hardware failure then it will be replaced by the server provider and not by you If you are able to manage the OS then don't look further go for it.
    WebHosting.UK.com - WHUK :: cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

But be careful with who you go with, there are some companies (who shall remain nameless) who will not swap your hardware on weekends even if your server's CPU Explodes, without you paying them first.

Well I have chosen to go with keyweb.de, they seem to have a decent reputation and their prices are good. I do not know what their policy is on weekend replacements (their website is very bad to navigate) but I'll send them an e-mail.

Thanks for the advice guys

I might end up making more posts to ensure my dedi is secure >_<