Please suggest me some good webhost

Can you guys suggest me some good webhost? At present I am hosting my forums are webhostgiant.com and their server is down many many times since last 1 month. We have 1800 members, 40,000 post and like 4-10 avg users at any given time. For 8 months they were good but since last 1 month or 2 it's getting real slow and down time is just increasing each day.

If you guys can suggest me some good host where at least they do less overselling and have stable uptime, it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by hellreturn View Post
    Can you guys suggest me some good webhost?
    Sure if you can offer more details such as:

What's your budget?

What control panel does your current web host use?

How much disk space and bandwidth are you using?

Which forum software are you currently using? vBulletin, IPB, SMF, MyBB, phpBB, etc.?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

If it's only 4 - 10 average users online at any given time then a shared hosting plan should be sufficient enough.

I would suggest checking out MDDHosting.com. They have fantastic support and very stable servers. I have been with them for a while now and am very pleased.

You might be interested in their Semi-Dedicated plans (http://www.mddhosting.com/semidedicated.php). Basically it is a shared account where they only allow 25 people on the server to ensure that you are never fighting with other busy websites for traffic.

Plus they are running a 99% your first month offer. (Details at http://forums.mddhosting.com/index.php?showtopic=181) It sounds like it would let you try them out risk free and see how great they are.

Disclaimer: My previous review of MDDHosting can be found at: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...99#post6420099
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

Here is my current needs with budget:

1. 5-10$/month.
    2. Current control panel: Plesk. I am looking for cPanel.
    3. My disk space usage is around 2Gb and BW of 15Gb.
    4. Forums: IPB
    5. Website: Joomla
    6. 1800 members and 40K post. Will grow more with time and avg user at any time are 10 and we had 29 online at once .

Thank you very much guys. Much appreciated.

You should have a good account with your requirements and budget level. Is there any preferred location? Another control panel likes DirectAdmin?

Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    You should have a good account with your requirements and budget level. Is there any preferred location? Another control panel likes DirectAdmin?
    Location US
    Just don't need plesk. DirectAdmin will work.

Main criteria is fast and stable host with decent price.

I figured that my present host has like 350 domains on one machine with 8Gb RAM and hence they are half time slow or down.

350 domains says nothing. If most of them are parked domains, or just small websites with html. Don't take that as the reason with all hosts. The real issue with your current vendor is *unlimited* space, bandwidth they are offering at cheap price. So, they are overselling their server. That makes it slower and unstable.

The real issue with your current vendor is *unlimited* space, bandwidth they are offering at cheap price.
    It could be, but not necessarily. Downtime and slowness should have nothing to do with overselling in a world where resources abuse clauses enable a host to get rid of any unprofitable customers. This is an 8 months old server. By now it should be getting more stable, rather than the opposite.

The problem here IMHO is their approach to server management -- assuming they don't have some hard to pinpoint issue, which would be more excusable. If they let the server overload, that is not excusable.

I will agree though that going from under $3 to the $5-10 range can make a difference.

I figured that my present host has like 350 domains on one machine with 8Gb RAM and hence they are half time slow or down.
    350 domains is not all that bad actually. I've seen a lot "worse". Like gate2vn said though, it doesn't really make a difference. 1 busy site is all it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    It could be, but not necessarily. Downtime and slowness should have nothing to do with overselling in a world where resources abuse clauses enable a host to get rid of any unprofitable customers. This is an 8 months old server. By now it should be getting more stable, rather than the opposite.

The problem here IMHO is their approach to server management -- assuming they don't have some hard to pinpoint issue, which would be more excusable. If they let the server overload, that is not excusable.

I will agree though that going from under $3 to the $5-10 range can make a difference.

350 domains is not all that bad actually. I've seen a lot "worse". Like gate2vn said though, it doesn't really make a difference. 1 busy site is all it takes.
    I agree with this it only takes 1 site to bring the server to its knees

Quote Originally Posted by TheServerExperts View Post
    I agree with this it only takes 1 site to bring the server to its knees
    Indeed, if they manage the server properly they would pinpoint high resource sites and deal with them before they become a problem. Though at unlimited disk space and bandwidth, they probably ended up with someone or a few people who thought they could use unlimited, and hence high resource usage that kills the server.

Oh, is this what is happening? Does anyone else want to speculate?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    Indeed, if they manage the server properly they would pinpoint high resource sites and deal with them before they become a problem. Though at unlimited disk space and bandwidth, they probably ended up with someone or a few people who thought they could use unlimited, and hence high resource usage that kills the server.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

Did you open a support ticket with WHG?

Quote Originally Posted by hellreturn View Post
    Can you guys suggest me some good webhost? At present I am hosting my forums are webhostgiant.com and their server is down many many times since last 1 month. We have 1800 members, 40,000 post and like 4-10 avg users at any given time. For 8 months they were good but since last 1 month or 2 it's getting real slow and down time is just increasing each day.

If you guys can suggest me some good host where at least they do less overselling and have stable uptime, it would be great.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

The best way will be to work with them to solve your issues.

Have you tried looking at the offer section forum yet. You might find some great offers there, then you good check on the host's review.

Your budget is very reasonable for your requirements which is definitely a good thing!

If you don't get a lot of personal recommendations in this thread, check the offers forum and make a short list of hosts that look like they are a close fit for your needs, keep it reasonable! Do a search for reviews on those hosts, contact them with questions and go from there.

Some questions you may want to ask:

- Are they a registered business (ie - an actual company) ?
    - Do they offer a money-back guarantee? If so, what are the terms?
    - Do they offer an uptime guarantee? If so, what are the terms?
    - What is their back up policy? Do they take daily/weekly/etc back ups? What is their restoration procedure should your data be compromised?
    - Do they have a test file you can download/IP you can ping to test their network speed?

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Pay on a monthly basis to start until you are comfortable and secure with your new host.

Good luck and let us know who you choose to go with, it will be helpful to others who are searching as well!

Have a look at ICDsoft.com and steadfast.net.

As per ur budget goes,

ICDsoft charges 10$
    takes only annual payment
    only 1 domain/account
    storage 10GB
    Data Transfer 200 GB/Month
    Excellent up-time, fast servers, very prompt, knowledge and quick responsive tech-support
    options to host in US, Germany or Honkong
    ==
    Steadfast 10$ (monthly payment option available)
    1200 MB of Disk Space
    50 GB of Monthly Data Transfer
    Hosting for Unlimited Domains
    DDoS protection, LiteSpeed based web servers
    great uptime, quick and responsive support.
    Steadfast have the real deal since they offer the whole gamut of hosting namely - shared, reseller, vps, dedicated, co-location, backup and clustered servers.

ICDsoft would be my first choice as they have an extremely good tech support who responds to my queries in minutes. Using ICDsoft for 2 years and Steadfast for 6+ months.

Akirah makes a good point. Look at the offers section here on webhostingtalk and sort by replies.

forumdisplay.php?f=4

I went with stablehost for the price and their tech support is great. If I didn't see them second I may have went with sharkspace instead. But both seem really good, and stablehost is great thus far.

Joomla is resource intensive but only when you get lots of visitors. Your average visitors number is low so any shared hosting package from a reputable company should be more than enough.

I will vouch for hostgator as a great cheap place to start

<<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>>
    Last edited by bear; 11-16-2009 at 03:33 PM.

if you are concerned about resource issues, you can always look for shared hosting that utilizes cloudlinux. we have had good experiences with that and it provides a great layer to protect our customers from other users.
    www.canadianwebhosting.com / Canadian Web Hosting
    █ VPS - Dedicated - Shared - US/Canada
    █ E-Mail: sales@canadianwebhosting.com

Shared or larger acounts are good from utropicmedia.net which I am using now. The company is not the cheapest, but they worth of every penny. I believe they are able to provide you with something suitable.