Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are All Hosting Companies Expected To Have an Physical Office Address?

Are all physical hosting companies and service providers (small to large) expected to have a physical office address?

Personally, I believe it isn't necessary. Especially not for the new, start-up, and smaller providers and companies. Why? Simply because there isn't much of a need to have an "office" or building nor would it be reasonable to lease office space when you're relatively new into the business.

What do you think?

Depends on your client's views, I see no problem with small business home offices. That's just $500-$1000+ per month you have available to make your services better. As long as they are hosted out of a real data center it should be a non-issue.

I believe it shouldn't be a problem, and as MikeTrike said "As long as they are hosted out of a real data center it should be a non-issue."

Should not be a problem. Many small business run from home offices.

It is however necessary to be organized and keep personal matters away from business.
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

An office is important if you ever plan on employing people. It also presents a more professional view of the company.

Our office works out to around $1800 a month but it's worth it in terms of productivity.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

It hasn't been a problem for us. We run out of home offices at the moment and have a P.O. box address that we give our clients and put on WHOIS etc.

Home offices are the way to go, unless you're running a very large operation and need onsite staff in the colo etc. Then an onsite office is just more efficient than working from remote based home offices. But I personally know of some largish hosts (250+ servers) that are based from remote based home offices. It's very doable, especially with mobile technology and stuff. It's also very conducive to a great lifestyle too.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

We serve mostly local clients and operating from a home office is not an option for us.

I don't think it should! I'm reopening my company soon and i always ran it from my office and my home. By office I mean where ever I had a full time job at ...

Better support that way, I feel most people that run from there home they tend to be online more because if you run a hosting biz you must use the internet and your prob addicted that's one of the reasons why you got into web hosting!

I agree, as long as it's ran anywhere really but you have your racks located in a real "building" that's meant for what your doing then it should be all good!
    Jason

It is very much ok to run it with a home office.
    Just make sure you have a powerful customer service set up for your clients so that they can get in touch with you guys at anytime.
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

I think it's not necessary especially if you have outsourced the services. Most of the hosting providers nowadays are running from their home office.

Quote Originally Posted by emsjs1 View Post
    I think it's not necessary especially if you have outsourced the services. Most of the hosting providers nowadays are running from their home office.
    "Most"? I don't think there are many (any?) serious hosting companies run from a home office. Most companies might start that way but I don't think most companies continue working from the owner's home once they are past a certain size.

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    "Most"? I don't think there are many (any?) serious hosting companies run from a home office. Most companies might start that way but I don't think most companies continue working from the owner's home once they are past a certain size.
    Ive known most of them but I don't want to name names due to confidentiality.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    Are all physical hosting companies and service providers (small to large) expected to have a physical office address?

Personally, I believe it isn't necessary. Especially not for the new, start-up, and smaller providers and companies. Why? Simply because there isn't much of a need to have an "office" or building nor would it be reasonable to lease office space when you're relatively new into the business.

What do you think?
    I don't think so. As long as I see an address on the website where I can contact them, that's good enough for me. Ultimately, anyone can really get an address and/or office - it's a really low issue on the list of things I consider.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

It is not important for a company to have a physical office address. The most important thing for any host is to provide high quality service and effective customer support. Acting in such a way you will earn a good reputation at the market. At the beginning the company always works to have a good reputation, afterwards this reputation will work for you.

We are based in a home office and all of our employees work out of their homes. We have considered getting an office but have always decided against it.

Maybe it is because we work from home but I do not feel a hosting company needs to have an office.

We have a physical Corporate office that staffs our Accounting Team and Support. Our Customer Service Team and sales Team works from their home office in addition; all of our employees have an option to work from their homes 3 days a week.

We are actually considering converting to home offices as it will reduce some overhead, and it is greener.
    UCclouds.com "IT Solution Hosting Partner"
    www.ucclouds.com
    We take the SH out of IT.

Quote Originally Posted by ucwebhost View Post
    We are actually considering converting to home offices as it will reduce some overhead, and it is greener.
    Just out of interest how do you keep track of if your staff are pulling their weight when they are working at home?
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

We don't have a physical office.

There's lots to say for having a physical office, but there's many advantages to operating a virtual office as well. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for your company.

Quote Originally Posted by tws View Post
    We don't have a physical office.

There's lots to say for having a physical office, but there's many advantages to operating a virtual office as well. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for your company.
    Wow, I'm surprised. ;o As a larger company without a physical office, how do you feel that affects staff camaraderie etc? Do you run regular "team building" events etc so that people still feel part of a unit? Genuine question.

I hear ya Darren.

I actually find I can organise my day better around going into the office. I don't think I have the discipline to get the most out of working from home, too distracting for me. Separate home / work life suits me to a tea.

As for whether it's expected? No, not at all. Each to their own. What works for some just might not work for others, doesn't mean the company is any less viable.
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Wow, I'm surprised. ;o As a larger company without a physical office, how do you feel that affects staff camaraderie etc? Do you run regular "team building" events etc so that people still feel part of a unit? Genuine question.
    That's a great question. We have not (yet) gotten the majority of staff together -- for shear logistical reasons being that we have staff members from all over the world -- in addition to the obvious.. who'll hold down the fort?!

We utilize jabber for IM communications throughout shifts. While we realize the purpose we're at work for, we do have fun! If we're not trash talking about our fantasy football league, we're arguing the on-going battle of OS X's superiority over Windows, etc.

I think it goes back to corporate culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro_Host View Post
    Just out of interest how do you keep track of if your staff are pulling their weight when they are working at home?
    Hi Hydro,

We have a weekly video conference that is required; quarterly bonus trips with their Team Leaders, we also have an annual company meeting for our employees and their spouse, a 3 day retreat of just fun.

Constant communication I think is the key; when working from a home office having that connection with others via telephone (extension) chat or such helps keep the feeling of being alone minimized.
    UCclouds.com "IT Solution Hosting Partner"
    www.ucclouds.com
    We take the SH out of IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tws View Post
    That's a great question. We have not (yet) gotten the majority of staff together -- for shear logistical reasons being that we have staff members from all over the world -- in addition to the obvious.. who'll hold down the fort?!

We utilize jabber for IM communications throughout shifts. While we realize the purpose we're at work for, we do have fun! If we're not trash talking about our fantasy football league, we're arguing the on-going battle of OS X's superiority over Windows, etc.

I think it goes back to corporate culture.
    Certainly an eye-opener - I didn't realise there were companies in the industry as large as yours operating in that way. It must take strong leadership to make sure everyone is pulling their weight :p (or at least, you/your interviewers must be good judges of character so that you don't employ anyone that is going to take liberties)

Greetings Jonathan:

"Are all physical hosting companies and service providers (small to large) expected to have a physical office address?"

If you are legal, not engaging in criminal activities, and are an honest business person, yes. There's nothing to hide unless there is fear of discovery.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast