Managed & Unmanaged Servers

I am trying to avoid this managed fees on a dedicated server. Is the managing so technical that I may not be able to do it on my own? What do I need to do to be able to self-manage? Does it required code-knowledge and stuff like that?

Kobina

To make it simple: yes, it's hard. There are copy-paste tutorials on the Internet that tell you how to setup a firewall as well as other components, until you hit an error somewhere and you won't be able to fix it on your own.

You can get an unmanaged server, but you will not have the benefit of a secure environment setup for you, optimized web services, and frequent updates and security patches applied by people who (should) know how to do it.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

If your new to dedicated servers (linux) i highly recommend you going with an managed server.

When have a hosting company that will do the initial setup for, would you still require a lot of technical knowhow to continue the management on your own?

Most data Centers may define Managed and Dedicated differently. You may want to ask specifically apples to apples comparison when shopping around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobina View Post
    When have a hosting company that will do the initial setup for, would you still require a lot of technical knowhow to continue the management on your own?
    You have to keep up with security patches which are released pretty regularly. Failing to update can cause you downtime and/or your business.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

If your not fully confident in managing the server yourself then you likely need a management solution.

If you are going to do it yourself, remember to place a value on your time and then think if it might be cheaper to have it managed.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Issues may arise that cannot be solved using a control panel and requires technical knowledge. Go managed to begin with. Once you have more than certain number of customers or servers, you are likely to encounter more problems and it would be better to hire a dedicated sys-admin/management company to keep your server in great shape and go unmanaged from there.

I am trying to avoid this managed fees on a dedicated server. Is the managing so technical that I may not be able to do it on my own? What do I need to do to be able to self-manage? Does it required code-knowledge and stuff like that?

Kobina
    James B
    WWW.EZEELOGIN.COM |Setup your Secure Linux SSH GatewayMEET PCI DSS & ISO 27001 Compliance|Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Sign up for totalserversolutions.com kind of companies and have your server maintained and also monitored. You will need help if you are not the luckiest guy in the world
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Do you have a budget for a server and management? It would be cheaper and better to get an unmanaged server but if your not so sure about to actual maintaining of the server I suggest you get platinumservermanagement to handle that for you.
    Fully customized hosting to your specific needs, no general plans found here!
    'Read before you click I agree' - J

Go with a managed server. Though you have root access, everything can't be fixed via control panel. There are few needs linux knowledge too.

Most Importantly, Security is not an one time job & its a periodic updated job.

If you are using it business purpose and aiming to save some money for you by looking for the unmanaged dedicated then it the things will get hard for your if you do not have any previous management experience. Are you be aware of your aware of your skills and how good you are with certain aspects of server management if not then better go with managed dedicated.
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

It's very risky to try to manage it yourself. If you don't really know what you're doing you're bound to run into trouble somewhere.

Kobina

Depends on what you are hosting.

If it is sensative data, a company presence or 'not yours', then I would recommend having the professionals manage it.

Security is a process, not a task. Setting up a firewall or IDS/IPS without 24x7 monitoring by a NOC/SOC is not secure at all.

I'd ask the xSP to manage the security posture if there is any concern.

In addition to that: The management fee is in most cases cheaper than hiring a technician for less than 30 minutes to work on your server.

If I was a professional and run a business on the service I provide, I would choose the safe way and go for a managed system. So you can focus on your main task and sell your services while others in the background keep the system up and running.

Sounds like you should go for a Managed Server.

I would encourage you to check out http://www.tqhosting.com

They have all kinds of packages for managed and un-managed servers and are in-expensive.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

Yes if you do not have any previous skills to managing the server administration better you should look for the managed VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanticDotNet View Post
    Most data Centers may define Managed and Dedicated differently. You may want to ask specifically apples to apples comparison when shopping around.
    This is very true. There's a big difference from hosting company to hosting company about what fully-managed means. Some hosting companies define it as "we give you a control panel and you do all the daily stuff yourself however, we'll do updates/patches/break fix" while other hosting companies do everything for you, from soup to nuts. Whenever you're seeking fully-managed, make sure you understand what that includes.

-- Bill
    NationalNet - Hosting. Handled.
    Extreme Support Managed Hosting | Inexpensive Dedicated Servers | Affordable Atlanta Colocation | CDN
    sales @ nationalnet.com | 888-4-NATNET | www.nationalnet.com