Question VPS vs Semi-dedicated hosting

I am sorry for this foolish question, but..

What is the difference between VPS and semi-dedicated server? Which one is better?

VPS: In one Physical server there will be 25-35 VPS, ie one physical server will be divided(hardware level itself) into small many number of servers(VPS).

Semi-dedicated: In one physical server will be divided into max of 10 nodes. ie it is in-between VPS and dedicated. Less no: of nodes will be there so the performace will be better when compared to VPS.

While waiting for someone to answer my question, I came across an interesting article on the same topic.

While each option has it’s pros and cons (which we will go over shortly) the few pros of VPS are far outweighed by the cons.

Semi Dedicated Pros:

* Very few sites per server allow for quick loading, even with resource intensive sites
    * Fewer sites on the server means fewer chances for downtime due to hacked sites
    * Every site has full access to all server resources as needed
    * Same ease-of-use as shared hosting

Semi Dedicated Cons:

* No customization of core applications (PHP/mySQL/etc.)
    * No “guaranteed” resources

VPS Pros:

* Full root access to your part of the server
    * Ability to have custom core applications (PHP/mySQL/etc.)
    * “Guaranteed” resources (more detail below)

VPS Cons:

* Responsibility to keep all server software up to date
    * Many sites on each server, similar to normal shared hosting
    * Access to only a portion of the server’s resources
    * Price (more detail below)

It looks to me that semi-dedicated hosting is much better then VPS!!!
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Joyce View Post
    VPS: In one Physical server there will be 25-35 VPS, ie one physical server will be divided(hardware level itself) into small many number of servers(VPS).

Semi-dedicated: In one physical server will be divided into max of 10 nodes. ie it is in-between VPS and dedicated. Less no: of nodes will be there so the performace will be better when compared to VPS.
    Thanks Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramya108 View Post

It looks to me that semi-dedicated hosting is much better then VPS!!!
    What do you think?
    It seems it is not that simple. You have to read it according to your requirements. If you need the root access semi-dedicated is not the choice for you as it is the regular shared hosting with very less number of clients and more flexibility. Also if you don't want to have the responsibility to manage the security concerns and other things (if not it is a fully managed VPS) semi dedicated is good in that way. So it is up to the requirements whether VPS or semi dedicated is better.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    So it is up to the requirements whether VPS or semi dedicated is better.
    I run a vbulletin forum, which grows very fast. Right now I can't afford a managed dedicated hosting. So I am thinking about semi-dedicated or VPS.

Server resources is what I need most of all. And I don't want to share them with anyone!

There is an important factor which is not taken into the above list of Ramya108

While i like the list (but have to agree on iHubnet-Matt) there is this part of a VPS which makes all offers different, and that is Managed of Unmanaged; and if Managed what type of management will there be provide (Reactive or Pro-active).

Basically if you need a very much specialized setup; a VPS might be more of your liking. If you need a fully pro-active managed service like shared hosting but with a lot more resources a semi-dedicated might be the way to go.

Remember that also semi-dedicated server offers differ from one provider to the other, some keep the total of users really low; others still add 40 to 50 users to a box or even more. This does not need to be a problem if managed well; but certainly something look at.

I run a vbulletin forum, which grows very fast. Right now I can't afford a managed dedicated hosting. So I am thinking about semi-dedicated or VPS.

Server resources is what I need most of all. And I don't want to share them with anyone!
    Take a dedicated server or a bare metal cloud instance, all others will share resources with others, although some VPS systems also guarantee usage they always have overhead from the virtualization layer and IO throughput. Although i doubt if that will be an issue for you; sharing resources is not bad; as long its managed well.

Don't forget on semi-dedicated you're still able to snoop users files for the most part, generally since these machines are lower on priority (ie less users) they get less security attention, at least from my experience.

There are other benefits of VPS not mentioned. What happens when the semi-ded. master IP becomes blacklisted? Well all the shared sites (even with their own dedicated IP's) will also have blacklisted mail due to Exim or whatever mail server using the master IP to send mail out. So all (10?) or so clients will be blacklisted because of one user abusing the system or a script getting abused without anyones knowledge.

VPS this is a non issue since you run your own mail server instance and its bound to your own IP. You only have to worry about your own stuff..

I find that semi-dedicated usually means fewer sites per server, but still a shared hosting-type environment
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ramprage View Post
    Don't forget on semi-dedicated you're still able to snoop users files for the most part, generally since these machines are lower on priority (ie less users) they get less security attention, at least from my experience.
    Shame you had a bad experience; but i ensure you this is not the case everywhere.

There are other benefits of VPS not mentioned. What happens when the semi-ded. master IP becomes blacklisted? Well all the shared sites (even with their own dedicated IP's) will also have blacklisted mail due to Exim or whatever mail server using the master IP to send mail out. So all (10?) or so clients will be blacklisted because of one user abusing the system or a script getting abused without anyones knowledge.

VPS this is a non issue since you run your own mail server instance and its bound to your own IP. You only have to worry about your own stuff..
    This is not true; a semi-dedicated environment can be setup that mail is send out on the IP of the client and not necessarily the main IP. Besides this can also happen with your VPS IP's when you run a bad script; with the difference that a semi-dedicated probably is better managed as a VPS thus such a problem will be faster signaled and taken action on.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 10-09-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: cleaned quote code