Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's Your Favorite Control Panel?

What's your favorite control panel for installing in a VPS/cloud server?

cPanel/Plesk/any free ones?

DirectAdmin VPS edition is very competitively priced, even for small providers.

You could also try something like webmin/virtualmin-gpl depending on what your needs are.

Oh ok. I just need to install a control panel to host Wordpress and some static sites on a VPS/cloud server. Is any of those good for it?

DirectAdmin is cheap and good solution.

Greets Max

cPanel is fast and easy to use and you'll be quick to pick up the ropes with it.
    WebHosting.UK.com - WHUK :: cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

Anything but cPanel, yuck. So obtrusive and unorganized.

I prefer DirectAdmin or H-Sphere!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh-A View Post
    cPanel is fast and easy to use and you'll be quick to pick up the ropes with it.
    I'll be wanting to say the same.

DirectAdmin getting more popular now because of its attractive price compare to cpanel.
    however, end user still prefer cpanel.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Plesk user friendly.
    © www.hostinginside.com AS9678 √
    © Taiwan Colocation and Dedicated Server
    © Taiwan, Singapore, US, UK & Germany KVM Based VPS with RAID 10

Quote Originally Posted by Josh-A View Post
    cPanel fast? No way man. I used cPanel/Kloxo and now i am using DirectAdmin. Kloxo & DA (DirectAdmin) are more stable and faster than cPanel on delivering content and uses lot less resources than cpanel.

I used to Max out my RAM (512MB) with cPanel running just 2-3 active sites and all the tweaking done to minimise RAM usage. with DA I'm not going over 400MB at any time with same amount of traffic.

The other thing about DA is that they release updates (to DA itself and it's related S/W's) more often than cPanel. Configurations are much easier too and is more focused on what is needed and widely used than other not so used bells & whistles.

So for the price you pay, and if you get hold of a good skin/theme/template then the usage for an end user is as easy as on cPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by jenok View Post
    Plesk user friendly.
    What about Webmin? Is it good?

Also for Plesk: I have no idea how much it costs. It keeps bundling things along with it and I have no idea what is it's true price.

$1399?! $107 a month? I just want the control panel. Not email scanning or Acronis True Image.

Quote Originally Posted by cerise View Post
    What about Webmin? Is it good?
    Webmin is good but more focused as a server management GUI rather than a hosting control panel. You can use virtualmin as the hosting panel but it's not as easy as others to configure etc.

If i compare cPanel/Kloxo/DA/Virtualmin the hardest to configure and understand is virtualmin. This may not be the case for someone else but this is my experience.

BTW virtualmin has a free version. Also DA license can be obtained as little as 2.5$/mo with VPSRight.com but most others would be giving it out at rate of 5-10$/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by gunemalli View Post
    Webmin is good but more focused as a server management GUI rather than a hosting control panel. You can use virtualmin as the hosting panel but it's not as easy as others to configure etc.

If i compare cPanel/Kloxo/DA/Virtualmin the hardest to configure and understand is virtualmin. This may not be the case for someone else but this is my experience.

BTW virtualmin has a free version. Also DA license can be obtained as little as 2.5$/mo with VPSRight.com but most others would be giving it out at rate of 5-10$/mo.
    Well the service I'm using is similar to Amazon's EC2 and it's a VPS that you have to manage on your own so they don't offer DA. :\

What's the difference between Virtualmin and Webmin? I just need to host some of my Wordpress sites so I don't really need much on the graphical front and I don't think I need to create a VPS in a VPS. (That's what Virtualmin is, right?)

Mine is DA. I agree, the levels and amount of configuration Virtualmin offers. Might scare new users away.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Virualmin doesn't create VPS inside a VPS. It's more like Hosting Panel for Webmin. As i said earlier , Webmin is focused on server management like setting up dns entires, passwords, checking services etc.

If you are the only user that will be accessing the administration side, i would suggest you check out Kloxo. It's free and good if it's only you. Mind you that once installed change the Kloxo's default port for added security.

Kloxo Downlad: http://download.lxlabs.com/ (You must download Master)
    Install instructions: http://lxlabs.com/software/lxadmin-sse/install/

BTW who is your provider? You could always ask them you may never know. They may not advertise, but they could easily get you a DA license.

Virualmin doesn't create VPS inside a VPS. It's more like Hosting Panel for Webmin. As i said earlier , Webmin is focused on server management like setting up dns entires, passwords, checking services etc.

If you are the only user that will be accessing the administration side, i would suggest you check out Kloxo. It's free and good if it's only you. Mind you that once installed change the Kloxo's default port for added security.

Kloxo Downlad: http://download.lxlabs.com/ (You must download Master)
    Install instructions: http://lxlabs.com/software/lxadmin-sse/install/

BTW who is your provider? You could always ask them you may never know. They may not advertise, but they could easily get you a DA license.
    It's Rackspace Cloud and I wish I could afford their Cloud Sites so that I wouldn't have to do all this (Especially if my site gets hacked, I have no one to turn to except me. :\) but I can't, so I have to opt for Cloud Servers.

Kloxo appears to be a paid control panel. (http://lxlabs.com/store/)

It was. But it's free now as the project has turned to open source.

Oh. So the Master/Enterprise version of Kloxxo is free?

Nope, ALL lxlabs/lxcenter versions are free.

Nope, ALL lxlabs/lxcenter versions are free.
    Oh ok. Do you think it's ok for hosting Wordpress installations?

Ya i've used it to host 3-4 WP installations, several other php sites, billing systems and what not. The best thing is it supports several DNS servers as well as several web-servers.

And best of all, you switch them in an instant. from apache to lighttpd or bind to djbdns. BTW if you have like 256MB then switch to lighttpd+djbdns. It would only use somewhere around 150-170MB or 200MB MAX. That's one of the things i loved about Kloxo.

And do please read their forums and other bulletins regularly as this (Mailny HyperVM) had some security issues.

Ya i've used it to host 3-4 WP installations, several other php sites, billing systems and what not. The best thing is it supports several DNS servers as well as several web-servers.

And best of all, you switch them in an instant. from apache to lighttpd or bind to djbdns. BTW if you have like 256MB then switch to lighttpd+djbdns. It would only use somewhere around 150-170MB or 200MB MAX. That's one of the things i loved about Kloxo.

And do please read their forums and other bulletins regularly as this (Mailny HyperVM) had some security issues.
    Ok. I think I will stay with Apache since it's the only system that I have used along with MySql and PHP. (I come from shared hosting so I haven't really used those stuff before.)

Do I have to install HyperVM to use Kloxo? (To minimize security issues?)

Nope, you don't need to. HyperVM is used to create VPSes, not to host websites

HyperVM is the product that had some major issues. Kloxo had only some minor ones which were patched. (AFAIK). Again do change the ports used for loging into the system.

Nope, you don't need to. HyperVM is used to create VPSes, not to host websites

HyperVM is the product that had some major issues. Kloxo had only some minor ones which were patched. (AFAIK). Again do change the ports used for loging into the system.
    I'm only in charge of managing the VPS if I buy the service so I can't really do anything if HyperVM has issues since I'm not the hosting provider.

I'm not quite sure how you change ports for logging into the system though. Is it built in the Kloxo interface?

FYI, HyperVM and Kloxo are two different products. Kloxo doesn't have to be installed on top of hypervm.

And yes. There's a settings section where you can change the lgoin ports. I can't remember cos i stopped using Kloxo almost 4 months ago.

And if you're buying a VPS then you get yourself familiar with linux and shell commands quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast