Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down HiVelocity experience review.

I had decided to transfer 1 server into Hivelocity. It was a low $200s server with Hivelocities Platinum magagement plan. I was attracted to the pricing and the options available to configure my server how I wanted. I also liked the fact that they are somewhat local to where I live.

I had placed the server order with Drew. The server was delivered to me in 4 days, I was not in any rush so I did not mind. We started the migration process and went with out a problem until we went live. According to the tech the hard drive cable was bad and was replaced within 2 hours. These things happen and I still was not upset.

I was thinking to take advantage of the annual pricing offered and bring over the other servers until one morning I get flooded with phone calls chats and emails. I immediately try to log in the server to no avail so I contact Hivelocity. I was then told to contact the abuse department, well the abuse department does not take phone calls so then I was to told to log in a ticket.

What had happened was 1 of the hundreds of accounts hosted on the server recieved a copywright complaint and the server would not go back online until deleted and a ticket respond. I always comply with any complaint however I would appreciate at least a few hours to resolve, rather them an immediate disconnection. When you sell shared hosting you will always have a few accounts that are bad. No hosting company is immune to this. The server went back online 2 hours later.

Similar scenarios happened 2 more times with excessive down time in the first month that I was with them. Needless to say after talking several times with the GM Steve, I learned that he promises you one thing and either does another thing or does nothing as promised. For ex: will call you or will give a few hours to resolve any future complaints.

To compile further worries I learned that Hivelocity was terminating servers with out allowing transfer, including one host that was in business over 10 years. I do not know the non-bias details of those scenarios but I do know those things do not happent at the Planet, Softlayer or any other major datacenter, otherwise it would have been posted all over the net as was with Hivelocity.

In closing, my impression of the place was that their servers are ok, the bandwith is a bit spotty, the techs are ok, albeit one being a smart ass, the GM is a great speaker and the abuse guy is trigger happy. I do love the Hivelocity banners though.

It's too bad as I thought I had found a company that can save me alot of money however it ended costing me much more with loosing good clients.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

It's disappointing to see them get a bad review simply from an abuse issue. It's rather strange how they handled this situation. I can see where you are coming from but understand that when it comes to copyright, the host (Hivelocity) does have the right to terminate or suspend any service without warning.

If this was something that could have been resolved without minutes by the client, I don't see why an initial warning email/call wasn't issued?

Anyhow, different hosts have different rules and procedures to follow.

Not sure if you are going to keep hosting with the same company but possibly remind them that contacting you first before pulling the plugs may help
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

I had tried to work that out with the GM even offering to allow them to terminate the account and bill me for the tech time. I would have done anything in order to prevent having the server offline.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin

Thank you for your review JixHost, I will avoid this company in the future.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear about the poor service you have received. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

This is the kind of review that matters -- some people just rant around incoherently about nonsense, this is actually an important issue. A lot of hosts I've seen do allow you time to deal with abuse complaints; but then again, why did the person complaining contact your host instead of you? I don't know the details of how you have your hosting business setup, but if you're using namesevers or anything associated with hivelocity, it could cause people to find your host instead of your client's host (which would be you).

i've been hearing many reviews about HiVelocity terminates server without any warnings to resolve the complaint.

to HV: please allow at least 48 hours before you terminate a server. notify them by email.

Yeah, wonder if they terminate there own servers when they get an abuse complaint

I have heard similar reviews of this hosting company.

That coupled with the mainly Cogent Network makes me cringe when this company's name is seen.

The same has happened to me three times. My server was taken off without any warning and support kept on telling me that they were looking into the issue. Finally after waiting for more than 4 hours, I was told that it was down due to abuse.

In another case my server remained down for more than 12 hours "due to abuse". Finally they told me that it was taken down by mistake and this termination was for some other server. phew...!

HiVelocity has average uptime and support,worst abuse department and abuse policy.
    Bagfull Interweb Inc.
    Windows and Linux Affordable Hosting and Cheap Domain Names.
    Powerful Dual Xeon Processors, 24x7 Support, PayPal Accepted
    http://www.bagfull.net/

4 days set up time for your dedicated server.. understandable I guess. I recently ordered a $8 VPS from them and that's taking 4 days and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    4 days set up time for your dedicated server.. understandable I guess. I recently ordered a $8 VPS from them and that's taking 4 days and counting.
    Wow and I thought two hours for a Dedicated Server was slow.

Well people always seem to leave out some details to keep the story leaning on their side. OP your ips were only null-routed due to hosting Phishing scams. As I explained to you over chat and phone, we cant just allow Phishing sites to stay online for 24 hours while you fix them because every hour they are up, more people are getting screwed. As soon as you responded to the abuse case telling us the issue was resolved we un-nulled the ip. You cancelled your server because you kept having abuse issues and were afraid we would terminate your server without warning. As far as the other people who have complained here on WHT about us terminating their server and the source of your worry, everyone seems to read what they want and forget what the facts. So here is my explanation again as to why they were terminated. They were all given warnings, some were given many many warnings. The biggest complainer on WHT so far was given over the phone instruction on what he needed to do to fix the problems. They did not do anything to fix their numerous problems. They did not react, they did not stop spammers, they moved spammers from one ip to another, they did not know how to manage a server or simply did not care.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

GM, You did not issue ANY warning, you merely null routed the server instantly and waited for me to contact you. There was one account that had a phishing website which I had terminated IMMEDIATELY. Furtermore I created an account in root with that domain and locked DNS to 1.1.1.1 so that account could never reappear again on the server by any reseller. I then sent you, and the abuse department a ticket (let me know if you need the ticket number) and an email explaining what I had done to ensure it would never appear again. The following day you pull the server yet again (you never responded to the ticket or email)thinking the account reappeared when it was an empty account I created in root to block it from ever appearing again.

In 1 month I had 2 complaints from nearly 1000 accounts, this is not out of the ordinary with 1000 accounts. I immediately reponded and terminated the offending accounts, as I always had done... No shared hosting company is immune to have a few bad accounts, none. The problem is you exagerate this and call it mismanagement, even though I purchased your worthless Plantinum management plan.

It's has become overwhelmingly clear on this forum and others that Hivelocity is the ONLY datacenter that terminates servers at the "drop of a hat" without ANY prior warning or chance for the host owner the retrieve his data. Do you really think a host would continue business with you had you warned him of terminating their server/s? Therefore this proves you never warned any of the hosts of an impending termination, otherwise they would have moved before hand. "The writing is on the wall"...
    Last edited by WebsitePlex; 10-05-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    Well people always seem to leave out some details to keep the story leaning on their side. OP your ips were only null-routed due to hosting Phishing scams. As I explained to you over chat and phone, we cant just allow Phishing sites to stay online for 24 hours while you fix them because every hour they are up, more people are getting screwed. As soon as you responded to the abuse case telling us the issue was resolved we un-nulled the ip. You cancelled your server because you kept having abuse issues and were afraid we would terminate your server without warning. As far as the other people who have complained here on WHT about us terminating their server and the source of your worry, everyone seems to read what they want and forget what the facts. So here is my explanation again as to why they were terminated. They were all given warnings, some were given many many warnings. The biggest complainer on WHT so far was given over the phone instruction on what he needed to do to fix the problems. They did not do anything to fix their numerous problems. They did not react, they did not stop spammers, they moved spammers from one ip to another, they did not know how to manage a server or simply did not care.
    Glad to hear the other side of story.

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    GM, You did not issue ANY warning, you merely null routed the server instantly and waited for me to contact you. There was one account that had a phishing website which I had terminated IMMEDIATELY. Furtermore I created an account in root with that domain and locked DNS to 1.1.1.1 so that account could never reappear again on the server by any reseller. I then sent you, and the abuse department a ticket (let me know if you need the ticket number) and an email explaining what I had done to ensure it would never appear again. The following day you pull the server yet again (you never responded to the ticket or email)thinking the account reappeared when it was an empty account I created in root to block it from ever appearing again.

In 1 month I had 2 complaints from nearly 1000 accounts, this is not out of the ordinary with 1000 accounts. I immediately reponded and terminated the offending accounts, as I always had done... No shared hosting company is immune to have a few bad accounts, none. The problem is you exagerate this and call it mismanagement, even though I purchased your worthless Plantinum management plan.

It's has become overwhelmingly clear on this forum and others that Hivelocity is the ONLY datacenter that terminates servers at the "drop of a hat" without ANY prior warning or chance for the host owner the retrieve his data. Do you really think a host would continue business with you had you warned him of terminating their server/s? Therefore this proves you never warned any of the hosts of an impending termination, otherwise they would have moved before hand. "The writing is on the wall"...

1. You had NUMEROUS phishing complaints, not 1 but 4 to be exact.
    2. Of the 4 phishing complaints 3 were for the same domain which you said you deleted after the first complaint. We loaded the site ourselves both the 2nd and 3rd time it was complained on for phishing.
    3. You added managed services on the 7th after we talked on the phone. You requested Managed Services be canceled over chat on the 15th. So you had managed for exactly 1 week.
    Last edited by hivelocitygm; 10-05-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

GM,

I had 2 valid complaints in the one month I was with you.

1st. was the copyright account.

2nd. was the phishing website.

3rd. was me creating a blank account in root after deleting the original phishing one and locking the DNS so the phishing account could not ever appear on the server again. I had immediately sent a ticket and email to you and your abuse department telling you this. I should have not been null routed for this as this is a common proactive practice to block domains from a server.

4th. What 4th? Maybe its you exagerating again.

I cancelled management on the 15th because I had already made the decision to migrate back to Softlayer.
    Last edited by WebsitePlex; 10-05-2009 at 01:40 PM.

So here we have two different stories..
    Porsus.com
    The Simple Server Provider.
    Low cost 1U servers.
    Located in Dallas

I will believe JixHost on this one. He seems pretty pissed off and genuine. Sometimes hosting companies don't even read the full tickets. They skim and miss important sentences. I'm not saying HV does that, but I experience it before with other companies.

wtf? so you guys would take sites down without any warnings huh? well, that's is pretty lame. ive been with hostgator and limestonenetworks and they send me warnings before they null route or terminate my servers.

i don't care if its some phishing site or whatever. give everybody a chance and warn them before removing access to the server. to be honest, hivelocity is losing a lot of customers with all these horror stories.

I agree, a consistent, documented AUP violation process is a very attractive quality when I'm considering a host.

Other providers could learn from Softlayer's AUP, where there is a 4 step process. I've never even made it to step 1, but it's comforting to see, in writing, that service won't be disconnected if you participate in their resolution process.

I think a way to avoid this kind of problem is to provide shared hosting customers with Rapid SSL and assign each of them dedicated IP while increasing your price to $10/Mo or so

That would make null-routing effective only to the abusive client leaving all other clients in peace.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Thanks for sharing your experience JixHost. I mean people need few hours to resolve issues. It seems that HiVelocity having lot of bad reviews and complaints in this forum since a couple of month. I will never do business with that company. There is no smoke without fire.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Yeah, wonder if they terminate there own servers when they get an abuse complaint
    I like that one !

Quote Originally Posted by hypebeast View Post
    hivelocity is losing a lot of customers with all these horror stories.
    I think so, too.

HVC used to be very popular before all this mess with taking servers down.

Lucky us, there is many to chose from, if it was just them, i would be worried, this way i don't care much, but, feel sorry for the ppl who r having problems with this company.

Easiest way always been to unplug the cable, but, in my opinion company SHOULD try to keep the customer, not just unplug etc.

s-f-r-j
    HostingFields - Managed Web Hosting - sales@hostingfields.com
    Affordable Shared Web Hosting, Semi Dedicated Servers & Dedicated Servers
    https://www.hostingfields.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast